Oh, come on now. Really? Is this the way of the world now?
Did it really happen that both my SO and I dealt with fraudsters on Saturday?
Here's how it went down:
The SO found a Nintendo DS for sale on Facebook for a decent price and was going to go pick it up. It sounded like a solid deal, since the lady said she had the Wal-Mart receipt, but that they wouldn't take it back due to the package being opened. Then the SO mentioned the girl would be wearing a hat and sunglasses "because she's just had surgery" and my fraud antennae went up. "Or to conceal her identity" I replied. Since it sounded a little shady, I offered to go with him to meet her, because it's just easier to say "no" when you've got someone to back you up. We went to meet her and sure enough she had on a huge hat and sunglasses. She had what looked like a scanned copy of a receipt for a Nintendo DS with a hole punched in it, but no legit receipt. My SO told her he only wanted it if she had a real receipt, she said that Wal-Mart took her receipt and gave her a copy, so I piped in "really? Because I used to work at Wal-Mart and we never kept receipts. In fact, I don't even think Nintendo will honour the warranty without the original receipt." After we left, my SO mentioned that the photocopy/scan she had didn't even say Wal-Mart on it, and it was dated a month later than when her ad was posted on Facebook.
So we come home, and we're playing the sit and wait game because I'm trying to sell my car and was supposed to be showing it to people that afternoon. One person was a guy who was certain he was going to buy it, another "Juliet" who'd only contacted me via email. No one who said they were coming out showed up, then I got this second email from "Juliet":
"juliet williams" <jullietwills17@hotmail.com>
Thanks for getting back to me.Anyway am okay with the price.However,i will issue you a check with an excess fund which you will send the remaining balance to shipper that will be coming for the pick up.Please kindly get back to me with your information so that the payment can be made on time such as your FULL NAME,CONTACT ADDRESS,CELL PHONE NUMBER.I will be looking forward to read from you soonest.
Jim
You gotta be kidding me.
Is the world just full of assholes? Twice in one day? Really?
Really? I just want to sell my fuckin' car, and he just wants to buy a DS for a decent price. Gah.