Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I am in a bed with an Asleepness Hat on.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chuck Berry and allegations of sexual abuse...  (Read 7455 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Chuck Berry and allegations of sexual abuse...
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2007, 04:12:16 am »

Not exactly. El asked to be made a "Federal Agent-at-Large' in the Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs. Nixon basically gave him a tin badge and no commission and left it at that.

Isn't that pretty much exactly what I said? The Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs was a predecessor of the DEA (merged with another agency in 1973 to form the DEA).  Honorary = badge and no actual power.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Chuck Berry and allegations of sexual abuse...
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2007, 08:29:53 am »

Tell the King the Killers Here.



http://www.ronnyelliott.com/mp3/tell_the_king_the_killers_here.MP3



This is a guy I saw at the Woody Guthrie Fest (which, like everybody there, is a better performer than recorder) that hates Elvis and Dick Clark as much as me.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Chuck Berry and allegations of sexual abuse...
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2007, 05:21:20 pm »

Isn't that pretty much exactly what I said? The Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs was a predecessor of the DEA (merged with another agency in 1973 to form the DEA).  Honorary = badge and no actual power.

Sorry. For me, as an English major, pretty much != exactly. (Is that how that is done?) Being an English major basically means calling people on things like this. It doesn't matter to other people, and therefore they often say it is a stupid and meaningless thing to complain about, but everyone has things like this in their specialty. You might clear up a small legal distinction that I might think "well, but that's pretty much the same thing". For me, the distinction is so small as to be trivial, but for you the distinction is everything. So when I said "not exactly", it was because what you said was pretty much the case, but not exactly the case, thus giving me the opportunity to link to that clever site that presented exactly what happened. Again, sorry for the pedantry.

I now return you to your talking cats and alive stuffed animals.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Chuck Berry and allegations of sexual abuse...
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2007, 07:28:23 pm »

Sorry. For me, as an English major, pretty much != exactly. (Is that how that is done?) Being an English major basically means calling people on things like this. It doesn't matter to other people, and therefore they often say it is a stupid and meaningless thing to complain about, but everyone has things like this in their specialty. You might clear up a small legal distinction that I might think "well, but that's pretty much the same thing". For me, the distinction is so small as to be trivial, but for you the distinction is everything. So when I said "not exactly", it was because what you said was pretty much the case, but not exactly the case, thus giving me the opportunity to link to that clever site that presented exactly what happened. Again, sorry for the pedantry.

I now return you to your talking cats and alive stuffed animals.

Far be it for me, as an attorney, to fault someone else for being interested in exactitude and willing to argue small details. 

However, as a former philosophy major I also am aware of the need for perspective.  Yes, what you posted was very slightly more correct than what I did.  However, for purposes of an internet message board I'll stand by the detail level of my original statement. 
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Chuck Berry and allegations of sexual abuse...
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2007, 08:54:40 pm »

Being an English major basically means calling people on things like this.

Oh, now I get it. 

I understand precisely why it is I've been loving you so much lately. 

I'm an Historian!  We're practically sisters! 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Chuck Berry and allegations of sexual abuse...
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2007, 09:35:10 pm »

Oh, now I get it. 

I understand precisely why it is I've been loving you so much lately. 

I'm an Historian!  We're practically sisters! 

I'd call you on this so hard . . . if it wasn't in many ways very accurate.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Chuck Berry and allegations of sexual abuse...
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2007, 09:43:21 pm »

Do you think there's even a vague chance I don't know that? 

Given that it takes me approximately six minutes per word to craft a response to any given post, rest assured that I selected my verbiage quite carefully. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Chuck Berry and allegations of sexual abuse...
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2007, 09:46:54 pm »

Huuuuugs!
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Chuck Berry and allegations of sexual abuse...
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2007, 09:59:22 pm »

Oh my god, I can hear your foot-ginas flapping against each other!  You two! Get a room!  Or shoe closet.  Or something.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Chuck Berry and allegations of sexual abuse...
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2007, 10:55:55 pm »

Join ussssssssss . . .
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Chuck Berry and allegations of sexual abuse...
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2007, 11:40:15 pm »

Join ussssssssss . . .

Heh! Oooh, seven-kinky!
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up