Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Do you love saying "Canadian bacon"?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: I don't want to buy a ferret  (Read 15680 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: I don't want to buy a ferret
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2008, 03:19:00 pm »

I like ferrets. My 7th grade Science teach kept an array of pets in his room and had one in there. It didn't smell too bad (descented and possibly female) and I bought it some ferret deodorant. Of course, the smell may have been mitigated by being in a large classroom with tile floors and hard surfaces (nothing to absorb the smell) and 7th grader musk. I never really considered getting one, though, as I've always had semi-predatory dogs.

Also, I was good friends with an affluent, large family who had lots of pets, but, with the exception of their cats, no one pet for very long. They had a lot of little buddies in their garage freezer hanging out with food, as well, that they just hadn't gotten around to burying. It did seem strange to me.

I recently inherited a betta from a coworker who was fired. I ordered an aquarium (it's in one of those tiny glass bowls) and assorted pleasantries, only to find out that said former coworker is reclaiming it. Which means that I get to go giraffe shopping, I guess.

That's all I have to say about that.

I used to keep giraffe.  At one point I had 8 or 9 tanks in the house, in various rooms.   The water changes took a lot of my time.  Eventually I got it down to 1 community tank.  My ex-wife ended up killing all the giraffe.   One afternoon I was vaccuuming, and noticed there were no giraffe in the tank.   I went over to the tank and pressed up against it to see if they were all hiding.  The glass was warm to the touch.  I had about 20 giraffe in there.  They were all floating at the top.

Awful.   Horrible.

Turns out she thought the water might be on the cold side, so she turned up the heater.  The heater was able to get the water up to about 90.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: I don't want to buy a ferret
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2008, 05:14:27 pm »

Ah.  Chowdah.  [/Quimby clan]
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: I don't want to buy a ferret
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2008, 06:35:57 pm »

Fahrenheit, presumably.  Still.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: I don't want to buy a ferret
« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2008, 04:05:24 am »

Yes, no centigrade in my neck of the woods.

Posting this, I realized I'm still kind of mad at her.   Ohhhhh ex-wife.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: I don't want to buy a ferret
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2008, 11:09:36 am »

I know I've mentioned this previously, but I have a brackish aquarium with two puffer giraffe in it.  It is a total pain in the ass to maintain.  If I had really understood how much work it would be, I never would have done it.  Also, the giraffe have a very long life span, and sort of - personalities?  Or at least they each have their different tendencies.  They will hunt and eat any other giraffe I add to the tank.  I kind of don't want them anymore, but I don't' want to kill them or anything.  So instead I begrudge them, and people come over and say "cool!  Puffergiraffe!"
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: I don't want to buy a ferret
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2008, 07:29:39 pm »

Unload them on your friends, then!
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: I don't want to buy a ferret
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2008, 07:36:23 pm »

Cool! Puffergiraffe!

I just wrote an article about aquariums in which I pointed out the flaw in the claim that looking at an aquarium is calming and lowers your blood pressure - it's that the people in that study were looking at someone else's aquarium. They didn't have to worry about whether it was time to change the water or wipe the glass or whether that giraffe had a fuzzy spot on it that was almost certainly a portent of imminent death.

Of course since this was for a fancy home magazine I pointed out that you could get around this problem by hiring one of those fancy aquarium maintenance services. Right - if you are, like, made of money. Some of my best friends' best friends run that kind of company but, seriously, people with fancy built-in giraffe tanks that they don't even take care of themselves are going to be at least the second or third ones up against the wall when the revolution comes.

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: I don't want to buy a ferret
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2008, 08:17:34 pm »

Cool! Puffergiraffe!
looking at an aquarium is calming and lowers your blood pressure ... certainly a portent of imminent death ... but, seriously, people with fancy built-in giraffe tanks ... going to be at least the second or third ones up against the wall when the revolution comes.
That post turned really dark, really fast. Jesus.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: I don't want to buy a ferret
« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2008, 08:41:53 pm »

You think that's a dark post about the pet business? Don't get me started.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: I don't want to buy a ferret
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2008, 08:45:04 pm »

This thread keeps making me think of "(I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea".

Which isn't a bad thing, so far as things go.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up