Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: I don't want to buy a ferret  (Read 15697 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: I don't want to buy a ferret
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2007, 08:34:33 pm »

Also at the store, a lady cut in front of me in line (when I was next up at the counter for god sake!)

This seems to be happening more frequently to me.  I just move right beside them, say excuse me and start doing my business with the clerk as if they weren't there.  Nobody has confronted me yet, but if they did I am prepared to tell them to wait their god damn turn.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: I don't want to buy a ferret
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2007, 08:41:05 pm »

I've had jobs where we had freezerfulls of rats and mice and rabbits.... but, meat is one thing. Frozen pets is... another.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: I don't want to buy a ferret
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2007, 08:46:37 pm »

I read a big interesting study (boiled down for such as newsweek) where they talked about how our brain's primitive understanding of germs was basically "don't put your food next to something gross." They talked about all these studies where this had weird results (people were reluctant to eat food that had touched an unused roll of toilet paper without understanding why, etc.)
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: I don't want to buy a ferret
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2007, 08:58:34 pm »

I read a big interesting study (boiled down for such as newsweek) where they talked about how our brain's primitive understanding of germs was basically "don't put your food next to something gross." They talked about all these studies where this had weird results (people were reluctant to eat food that had touched an unused roll of toilet paper without understanding why, etc.)

It's not just that there are pets in the freezer, but creatures that died of diseases and whatnot next to my food, which is hopefully safe and clean.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: I don't want to buy a ferret
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2007, 09:44:28 pm »

My mom kept our cat in the freezer one winter, with all the vittles. Just cause the ground was too frozen to inter it, you understand.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: I don't want to buy a ferret
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2007, 09:20:02 am »

Only in your brain.

But... my brain is where the world happens.

Also: rodents are often nocturnal, which may be a factor to consider if you are a light sleeper.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: I don't want to buy a ferret
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2007, 03:40:56 pm »

My mom is allergic to cats and dogs, so my childhood pets were reptile until we discovered that mom is not allergic to ferrets.

We got one when I was about eight years old, which snowballed through various circumstances into my mom running a ferret rescue from our house while I was in high school.  I think we had ten or twelve of them in the house at any given time from 1990-96 or so.  Mom's license plate was "FERRET" for several years.  I know a lot about them.

It is true that they smell.  The males are worse than the females, even after you get them descented.  Spaying/neutering early mitigates the stink but it never really goes away.

It is easy to train a ferret.  They can be taught to use a litter box, to do tricks, to respond to their name, etc. 

Early on, we gave them run of the house.  They'd seriously get into the smallest little spots (up inside the couch, into the waterproofing drainpipes in the basement) and they liked to steal stuff, especially if it smelled funny (I remember they had a grand old time with those rubber thumb-wrestler toys) or made noise (don't leave plastic grocery bags around or the ferrets will hoard them).  When we got a new couch, we tipped the old one up on end and a ton of stuff came falling out.  Squeaky toys, rubber balls, half-chewed rawhide sticks...the beasts are like magpies.

When we wanted to round them up, we had a little batter-powered toy that looked like a bunny.  We'd turn it on, it did this weird chirping sound, and the ferrets would come a-runnin' because there was a rabbit to kill.  They'd grab this thing by the neck and shake the hell out of it because that's what they've been bred to do.  Do not get a ferret near something it instinctively wants to hunt, unless you don't mind one of the two parties ending up dead or maimed.

Eventually they all ended up in a huge cage in the garage.  We'd get them out every now and then, give them some freedom to run on our screened porch, and clean up when they'd crap in the corner (they'd shit near the litterbox just as often as in it at the end there).  As fun as they were as companions and playmates, they aren't reallly lap pets because they're so active, and they haven't had the biting-is-playing instinct bred out of them yet so you'd get a bloody fingertip every now and then especially if you offered yourself up.

My $0.02: They're good pets for certain people.  If you have other small creatures around your house (guinea pigs, hamsters, cats, children), don't bring one home.  And don't buy them from pet stores or unlicensed breeders.  That encourages irresponsible behavior and you get an animal that is more likely to have health problems.  I guess that goes for almost any companion animal, but it bears saying.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: I don't want to buy a ferret
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2007, 03:54:57 pm »

Education.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: I don't want to buy a ferret
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2007, 04:16:44 pm »

Education.
Verily.  I will, myself, surrender to ferret owning someday.  A friend of mine in college had two, and they were more fun than kittens on ecstasy.  They were both females, and smelled a little "beasty" but not an offensive reek.  Their fur was coarser than I was expecting, but they were handsome, graceful little things.  The best part was that they were so spontaneously funny though.  Constantly exploring, playing with their toys, their environment and each other.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: I don't want to buy a ferret
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2007, 09:47:33 pm »

Verily.  I will, myself, surrender to ferret owning someday.  A friend of mine in college had two, and they were more fun than kittens on ecstasy. 

That is very true. A guy that I knew in high school had 2 ferrets. Watching them play was the funnest thing ever. I had long hair at the time, down to my elbows (this was before I shaved my head). I was lying on the couch and my hair was hanging down to the floor, and the ferrets started playing in it, much like children playing in the sheets that have been hung on the laundry line. I have never laughed so hard in my life. They were so cute.
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: I don't want to buy a ferret
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2008, 04:18:35 am »

I saw the Ferret owner documentary tonight.
Jesus.
I am so glad you guys were here to prevent me from joining this cult.

"Since I have a freezer, I can freeze the dead ferrets. And we get a bulk discount when we cremate 25 pounds, so I save all the dead ferrets in the freezer until I have 25 pounds of ferret. My husband thinks its weird when I have more dead ferrets than food."
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 04:26:10 am by Arachno-capitalist »
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: I don't want to buy a ferret
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2008, 11:34:20 am »

I never did go to a ferret show and I have not seen that documentary, but I did do a ferret story recently.

I have spoken to a lot of people who are fanatical about their animals in the past couple of years now. But the ferret people - who were very helpful and nice and even sent me a thank-you card - get the award for the craziest. I mean that in the nicest possible way but... yeah.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: I don't want to buy a ferret
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2008, 01:26:44 am »

"My husband thinks its weird when I have more dead ferrets than food."

Aren't those two the same thing, though?
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: I want to buy a ferret
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2008, 01:57:25 pm »

I agree: get another guinea pig. There are two main reasons:

1) You already know how to care for a guinea pig and know that you like them. Don't let yourself get overextended on pets you may well not enjoy anyway.
2) You know that your cats get along with a guinea pig and that a guinea pig will get along well with another one. Ferrets are a wildcard.

You can also with some difficulty and the occasional fuckup litter train a guinea pig and let it roam around. Or you can use coroplast and cubes to create the best damn cage in the universe. With a big enough cage even multiple males will be friends. Cleanup can be a bit of a pain however.
Logged

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: I don't want to buy a ferret
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2008, 04:33:43 pm »

I like ferrets. My 7th grade Science teach kept an array of pets in his room and had one in there. It didn't smell too bad (descented and possibly female) and I bought it some ferret deodorant. Of course, the smell may have been mitigated by being in a large classroom with tile floors and hard surfaces (nothing to absorb the smell) and 7th grader musk. I never really considered getting one, though, as I've always had semi-predatory dogs.

Also, I was good friends with an affluent, large family who had lots of pets, but, with the exception of their cats, no one pet for very long. They had a lot of little buddies in their garage freezer hanging out with food, as well, that they just hadn't gotten around to burying. It did seem strange to me.

I recently inherited a betta from a coworker who was fired. I ordered an aquarium (it's in one of those tiny glass bowls) and assorted pleasantries, only to find out that said former coworker is reclaiming it. Which means that I get to go giraffe shopping, I guess.

That's all I have to say about that.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 08:12:48 pm by JorgeFabregas »
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up