Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that Wombat has figured out how to edit the News Box!

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: A mote of friendly advice...  (Read 9637 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: A mote of friendly advice...
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2007, 03:48:18 pm »

Falling is so shitty.  We spend almost our entire lives as upright beings, and to have that taken away, so suddenly, so violently,without our consent, is just as damaging to our dignity as it is to our bodies.  It's like gravity raped you.  Fuck you gravity.  Fuck you gravity.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: A mote of friendly advice...
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2007, 04:12:31 pm »

Falling is so shitty.  We spend almost our entire lives as upright beings, and to have that taken away, so suddenly, so violently,without our consent, is just as damaging to our dignity as it is to our bodies.  It's like gravity raped you.  Fuck you gravity.  Fuck you gravity.

Gravity is a harsh mistress.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: A mote of friendly advice...
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2007, 05:24:39 pm »

I think we're kind of designed stupidly.

I've shredded my ribs several times. I can always tell when it's going, and I think to myself "sweet, another month of pain".
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: A mote of friendly advice...
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2007, 05:30:38 pm »

um, to clarify my intent, I did not mean to say "haha you bastard, I didn't fall!" I meant it as a comment on how strange it is that we very rarely fall. I mean... think about how much babies fall, and then realize how good you are at walking and standing. You can not only walk on a flat surface without your mom holding your hand-- you can even make your way across uneven surfaces, and perhaps even run. this is a marvel.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: A mote of friendly advice...
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2007, 05:33:49 pm »

I think we're kind of designed stupidly.

You're preaching to the choir here. Just look at our "shoddy testicular workmanship" thread.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: A mote of friendly advice...
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2007, 05:36:16 pm »

You're preaching to the choir here. Just look at our "shoddy testicular workmanship" thread.

Well, I didn't mean that. I have stellar testicles.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: A mote of friendly advice...
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2007, 05:37:52 pm »

Last time I fell was in winter, when I was walking with my boss.  My boss!  So embarrassing.  Flat on my ass too.  But, really for an adult, I think the best way to fall is on your ass.  There's a nice natural cushion there.

What ever you do, don't fall on your balls.  Symmetrical or not, it is not a place to fall.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: A mote of friendly advice...
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2007, 06:20:52 pm »

the body-positioning necessary for that would make it even more painful (emotionally, I guess.)

I just had the thought that next time someone I know injures their testiculars, I am going to say "that pain? it's natural selection. Darwin is so mad at you for injuring your balls."

...ok, that sounded better in my head.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: A mote of friendly advice...
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2007, 08:39:37 pm »

For all our technology we are some pretty frail suckers sometimes.
Nothing will remind you of this fact faster than a bad back.  I hurt mine as a 19 year old, then again at 23 and 25.  Always with something dumb like picking up a pencil or stepping off a curb.  Always with the doctors look sad and helpless and warning me not to stay lying on the floor or bed too long.  Thankfully its been 13 years now without a major relapse, and I've done hell of conditioning and posture training and so forth to keep the odds on my side, but I know I was in superior shape the last two times I wrecked it too - and I'm not as springy as I was then...
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: A mote of friendly advice...
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2007, 03:42:24 am »

Well, I didn't mean that. I have stellar testicles.

They're star-shaped?!?!?!! 

Send photos. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: A mote of friendly advice...
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2007, 03:48:00 am »

They're star-shaped?!?!?!! 

Send photos. 

thats nothing, mine are ditrigonal icosidodecahedron shaped.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 03:51:10 am by NYU »
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

nDed

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 34
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 292
    • View Profile
Re: A mote of friendly advice...
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2007, 04:25:03 am »

Does everyone on the internet have polygonal junk?
Logged
Love never blows up and gets killed.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: A mote of friendly advice...
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2007, 03:00:05 pm »

Wow, hearing your own bones breaking must be the rawest deal... Sorry, it's eleven a.m. and I'm baked already.
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: A mote of friendly advice...
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2007, 03:49:43 pm »

They're star-shaped?!?!?!! 

Send photos. 

Of course not. I just meant they shine brightly like a beacon in the darkness.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: A mote of friendly advice...
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2007, 05:06:55 pm »

They're not all they're cracked up to be. My wife has to wear a welding hood during oral sex.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up