Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RT@achewood Surprising fact: wearing clothes burns 12 more calories per day than nudity.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 12 Memorable newspaper comic-strip deaths  (Read 4763 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
12 Memorable newspaper comic-strip deaths
« on: August 12, 2007, 05:09:22 pm »

http://www.avclub.com/content/feature/12_memorable_newspaper_comic

Not surprisingly, the death of Farley in For Better or For Worse topped the list. The surprise, though, is that #12 on the list was Garfield. Wha-huh? Garfield died? Some think he did, in 1989, during this week-long story arc. The idea is that Garfield was dying, left behind in the abandoned Arbuckle household, and is imagining a better life for himself in his dying moments, and THOSE moments are the strip we see in the paper every day.

Double-you. Tee. Eff.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: 12 Memorable newspaper comic-strip deaths
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 05:37:08 pm »

Yeah, I caught this article too...

I don't know what to make of the whole Garfield thing... I read the actual strips, and don't know what to make of them.  Maybe it was Davis struggling with the fact he made horrible pap?  It's extremely vague.

(edit:  Here's a link to a Garfield is Dead site that has all the strips)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 05:43:50 pm by side_show »
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: 12 Memorable newspaper comic-strip deaths
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 05:50:07 pm »

Did For Better or Worse used to not suck, or have my standards just gotten higher? I swear it didn't used to suck this hard. I swear that when Farley died, it was a good strip back then.

And yet I can't stop reading it, like staring at a train wreck. The Technical Staff gave up reading newspaper comics years ago, so I can't rant to him.  I have to read The Comics Cumudgeon to get it out of my system.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: 12 Memorable newspaper comic-strip deaths
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 07:04:30 pm »

Did For Better or Worse used to not suck, or have my standards just gotten higher? I swear it didn't used to suck this hard. I swear that when Farley died, it was a good strip back then.

And yet I can't stop reading it, like staring at a train wreck. The Technical Staff gave up reading newspaper comics years ago, so I can't rant to him.  I have to read The Comics Cumudgeon to get it out of my system.

OMG thank you Wombat.  I thought I was all alone.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: 12 Memorable newspaper comic-strip deaths
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007, 07:12:02 pm »

It appears Jim Davis was just taking the piss. Still, though, them's some creepy strips.

Newspaper comics have it rough. They're competing critically with the Internet comics, but have to maintain the newspaper comic status quo. I'd much rather be in Onstad's position than someone like Aaron McGruder.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: 12 Memorable newspaper comic-strip deaths
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2007, 07:13:33 pm »

We are so not alone Paul - I just discovered that their messageboard has a thread called "When FBOFW Jumped the Shark."
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: 12 Memorable newspaper comic-strip deaths
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2007, 09:33:33 pm »

Funky Winkerbean is still good, there's a lot out there about Tom Batiuk right now, because in a few months there will be a major death on that strip that a lot of people are already hung up about. He's done very interesting things with that strip since he started drawing it back in (I think) the late 70s or early 80s.

Interested in the process of doing a comic for much of  your life?

Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: 12 Memorable newspaper comic-strip deaths
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2007, 10:07:54 pm »

I so wish Marvin was dead. SIDS, anyone?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: 12 Memorable newspaper comic-strip deaths
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2007, 12:16:53 pm »

Didn't Marmaduke get decapitated by a passing garbage truck that he ran in front of?  I think I remember that one from when I was a kid...

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: 12 Memorable newspaper comic-strip deaths
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2007, 12:25:49 pm »

I never read newspaper comics regularly but FBofW definitely used to be good when I did read it.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: 12 Memorable newspaper comic-strip deaths
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2007, 02:07:01 pm »

The Garfield thing totally creeps me out.  I used to watch the Garfield holiday specials as a kid, and they could be pretty dark.  Remember the Halloween one with the ghost pirate ship?  Or the heartbreaking one where Garfield finds his birth mother?  But this takes the cake. 

Now that I've re-read them, I have a vague impression that I saw them at the time -- which makes sense, as I would have been ten when they ran.  But I think I was too young for them to really sink in or make sense.  I will have to ask my father about these.  He would remember, and I'm interested in his impressions. 

This makes the current strip much more interesting.  Much like imagining that someone in the Family Circus is having kinky sex just out of panel.  Or that Marmaduke is just about to be taken in the backyard and shot. 

I long for the days when comic strips were enjoyable without self-deceit. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: 12 Memorable newspaper comic-strip deaths
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2007, 11:58:40 pm »

This makes the current strip much more interesting.  Much like imagining that someone in the Family Circus is having kinky sex just out of panel.  Or that Marmaduke is just about to be taken in the backyard and shot. 

Man, I miss the DFC.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: 12 Memorable newspaper comic-strip deaths
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2007, 02:29:38 am »

Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: 12 Memorable newspaper comic-strip deaths
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2007, 03:02:07 am »

Oh yeah, the archives are great, but getting a green was a special feeling.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: 12 Memorable newspaper comic-strip deaths
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2007, 03:15:11 am »

Oh yeah, the archives are great, but getting a green was a special feeling.

You are an internet stud.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up