Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I once had the idea that, if only for a moment each night, everyone in the world was asleep at the same time. It made the world manageable.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: AT&T Edits out (censors) anti-Bush lyrics  (Read 5149 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
AT&T Edits out (censors) anti-Bush lyrics
« on: August 12, 2007, 08:48:49 pm »

http://www.denverpost.com/nationworld/ci_6583782

AT&T Edits out anti-Bush lyrics in Pearl Jam webcast from Lollapalooza. Company says it was a "mistake." Yeah, right. Pearl Jam had this to say: "If a company that is controlling a webcast is cutting out bits of our performance—not based on laws, but on their own preferences and interpretations—fans have little choice but to watch the censored version," they said.

I highly doubt this was a mistake. They'd better backpedal faster, because stuff like that is not appropriate. There are laws against obscenity, sure, but editing stuff for political reasons is indefensible.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: AT&T Edits out (censors) anti-Bush lyrics
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 09:24:52 pm »

It's still a marketplace type decision that isn't illegal. Some people find it unethical and others don't.

If the company fails due to this decision, that's the market at work. If it doesn't, it doesn't. Entertainment is entertainment. It's not news that's being 'censored'; no one is being muzzled here.  I am sure Pearl Jam did not perform for free, and selling yourself to the media has it's price.

It's possible to say that an 'idea' was being censored but it's hardly a new or revolutionary idea, is it? The broadcasting company has every right to control what goes out on their sponsored airtime - that's the reality of their business, they are responsible to shareholders and advertisers.

Besides, now that everyone knows what was said but not broadcast, it's a moot point.

Righteous indignation is worthless unless it's an impetus to action. Out of all the complaining, someone should organize a boycott; start a letter writing campaign, get a congressman to sponsor a bill that would legislate against the harm you perceive, or something. Otherwise, just sit back and accept it.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: AT&T Edits out (censors) anti-Bush lyrics
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 10:57:38 pm »

Stupid way to try to surpress the political message, since this is no doubt going to get more publicity than an unedited broadcast would have. Even in as slow a news season as this no one would have gotten a story out of "ATT Doesn't Edit Anti Bush Lyrics."
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: AT&T Edits out (censors) anti-Bush lyrics
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 11:37:49 pm »

I've been following this in Wired. At first it was played off as just a mistake, then Wired found out it had happened to other videos, which caused the statement to change to it not being company policy and "steps were taken" so it won't happen again. Wired is trying to make it into a big net-neutrality thing, as AT&T owns a lot of the pipe out there but I really don't see this equating to them decided to throttle-down bandwidth on say, moveon.org or goddammitstopputtingadjectivesinfrontof marriage.foo.
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: AT&T Edits out (censors) anti-Bush lyrics
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 03:22:48 am »

It's still a marketplace type decision that isn't illegal. Some people find it unethical and others don't.

If the company fails due to this decision, that's the market at work. If it doesn't, it doesn't. Entertainment is entertainment. It's not news that's being 'censored'; no one is being muzzled here.  I am sure Pearl Jam did not perform for free, and selling yourself to the media has it's price.

I'm glad you're back.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: AT&T Edits out (censors) anti-Bush lyrics
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 03:32:50 am »

It's still a marketplace type decision that isn't illegal. Some people find it unethical and others don't.

If the company fails due to this decision, that's the market at work. If it doesn't, it doesn't. Entertainment is entertainment. It's not news that's being 'censored'; no one is being muzzled here.  I am sure Pearl Jam did not perform for free, and selling yourself to the media has it's price.

It's possible to say that an 'idea' was being censored but it's hardly a new or revolutionary idea, is it? The broadcasting company has every right to control what goes out on their sponsored airtime - that's the reality of their business, they are responsible to shareholders and advertisers.

Besides, now that everyone knows what was said but not broadcast, it's a moot point.

Righteous indignation is worthless unless it's an impetus to action. Out of all the complaining, someone should organize a boycott; start a letter writing campaign, get a congressman to sponsor a bill that would legislate against the harm you perceive, or something. Otherwise, just sit back and accept it.

his hers its.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: AT&T Edits out (censors) anti-Bush lyrics
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 04:11:57 am »

So it's supposed to be okay because they were piping the broadcast? Doesn't it strike you as...Gilead-esque for them to censor such a thing?  I can't imagine that someone felt it was their duty to censor non-obscene lyrics.

If I wanted to live someplace where corporations have carte blanche to decide what kind of political content people are exposed to, I'd live in - Shit, I guess I already live in America.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: AT&T Edits out (censors) anti-Bush lyrics
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2007, 04:16:56 am »

Man, doesn't it suck when you realize everything you've ever been told is a lie?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: AT&T Edits out (censors) anti-Bush lyrics
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2007, 04:33:26 am »

So it's supposed to be okay because they were piping the broadcast? Doesn't it strike you as...Gilead-esque for them to censor such a thing?  I can't imagine that someone felt it was their duty to censor non-obscene lyrics.

If I wanted to live someplace where corporations have carte blanche to decide what kind of political content people are exposed to, I'd live in - Shit, I guess I already live in America.

Corporations do things with their property just like you. If someone carved a swastika into your car, you'd probably try to repair it or hide it, because it is (presumably) not a view you wish to be expressed on your property. Or in a more relevant hypothetical, if your boss was listening to you talk to a customer and you said something he disagreed with, he is completely within his right to disconnect you. When someone sells their time and uses someone else's property they are subject to what that person does with their property.
I completely agree with the right to free speech in this country, but do it on your own time and dime or be subject to limitations. I can't find a rational reason to demonize a corporation for controlling what its equipment does.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: AT&T Edits out (censors) anti-Bush lyrics
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2007, 04:57:05 am »

It's still a marketplace type decision that isn't illegal. Some people find it unethical and others don't.

No, not illegal.  Highly unethical and downright fuck*ng wrong, but not illegal.  Are you saying that you don't find this unethical?

Quote
If the company fails due to this decision, that's the market at work. If it doesn't, it doesn't.

True.  But the free market relies on the free flow of information.  And unless we're able to communicate about what utter scumsuckers AT&T are, nobody will know enough to vote with their dollars.  Of course, the huge (scary) irony of the situation is that AT&T has a great deal of control over the most effective means of communication that people like you and I have access to.  Plus, they've shown that they're not above censoring content to further their own ends. It's not really a free market if one of the parties doesn't have access to all the information about the transaction.

 
Quote
Entertainment is entertainment. It's not news that's being 'censored'; no one is being muzzled here.

Unless Pearl Jam agreed to give AT&T the right to edit their performance for political content, they most certainly are being censored.  Also, I think your distinction between entertainment and news is a little facile.  There's a loooong history of "entertainment" products which have had significant political impact.  Slaughterhouse 5 and Catch-22 were both "entertainment" products.  Are they less deserving of protection from censorship. 

As to the idea that no one is being muzzled.  I grant you that the government is not the one doing the censoring in this case.  There's no first amendment issue here.  But I do think we should consider the realities of the situation when we talk about muzzling.  AT&T is the 800 lb gorilla in the internet room.  They could flex considerable muscle if they chose to, and they've just indicated that their intentions aren't good.

Why doesn't it bother you that they've indicated a willingness to abuse their control over the internet tubes?  It could just as easily be your ox being gored.  As you say, their responsibility is to the bottom line.  They'd kiss Stalin's ass if it would make them a buck.  So as so-called conservatives, are you defending this just because a large corporation did it?  Surely you recognize the terrifying implications this story has for the future of free communications on the internet?

I thought conservatives were for limited government power.  Does that mean you're OK with your freedoms being infringed when a huge corporation is doing it? 

Quote
Righteous indignation is worthless unless it's an impetus to action. Out of all the complaining, someone should organize a boycott; start a letter writing campaign, get a congressman to sponsor a bill that would legislate against the harm you perceive, or something. Otherwise, just sit back and accept it.

But talking about it IS action.  People need to know what AT&T did.  They need to think about what it means that the company who brings the internet into their homes took a blatantly political action.  People can't be true partici##### in a free market unless they have all the relevant information about their transactions.  Talking about it lets more and more people know that AT&T are sleazeballs.  It's not the only action that's needed, but it's a start.

Fuck AT&T.  If I have anything to say about, they'll never get another dollar of mine.  If I can get another person to think the same way as a result of my righteous indignation, I've done my job.

Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: AT&T Edits out (censors) anti-Bush lyrics
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2007, 05:08:35 am »

Corporations do things with their property just like you. If someone carved a swastika into your car, you'd probably try to repair it or hide it, because it is (presumably) not a view you wish to be expressed on your property. Or in a more relevant hypothetical, if your boss was listening to you talk to a customer and you said something he disagreed with, he is completely within his right to disconnect you. When someone sells their time and uses someone else's property they are subject to what that person does with their property.
I completely agree with the right to free speech in this country, but do it on your own time and dime or be subject to limitations. I can't find a rational reason to demonize a corporation for controlling what its equipment does.


Here's the difference.  AT&T provides the medium.  They are not perceived as endorsing every bit of content conveyed across that medium.  Should I be concerned about the content of every long-distance call that is transmitted over AT&T's telephone lines?   What if, during a telephone conversation with you, I endorse the fine products of AT&T's competitor, Sprint.  Is it OK for them to delete that part of the conversation?

We expect AT&T, as a provider of the medium over which the internet travels, to be content neutral.  I think that's a reasonable expectation.  If they're going to fuck around with the information that's carried over their wires, we have a right to know about it.

I don't want to give AT&T a right of approval over what I post on the internet.  I didn't think that was part of the deal heretofore.  If it's going to be that way in the future, I'm pretty much screwed, because they hold all the cards. 

Why doesn't that piss you off?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: AT&T Edits out (censors) anti-Bush lyrics
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2007, 05:10:50 am »

Someone please clarify what actually happened here?  The way it's being portrayed in this thread AT&T censored the content of one of their subscribers.  That would be completely unethical and possibly illegal.  But the way I understand it Pearl Jam was appearing on an AT&T sponsored show.  AT&T as producers of the show decided to edit the content of one of their hired performers.  If this is what happened Is it Douchy?, certainly. Is is illegal or even unethical?, probably not. 
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: AT&T Edits out (censors) anti-Bush lyrics
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2007, 05:53:23 am »

AT&T hired some company to pay some dudes to monitor the delayed feed (that was being displayed on AT&T's website) from the concert presumably to cut out excessive profanity or nudity. For whatever reason they dumped 2 lines of one pearl jam song where the band told george bush to 'leave this world alone' and 'find another home'. I don't have any reason to believe there is some grand conspiracy involved here. I am more apt to believe that whoever was riding the dump button thought political speech wasn't meant to be part of AT&Ts broadcast of a concert.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: AT&T Edits out (censors) anti-Bush lyrics
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2007, 12:08:01 pm »

I'd boycott AT&T, but... you know... iPhone...

So I'm torn.  I did switch away from their DLS to Comcast internet, which was more prompted by AT&T's shitty service than their political views.

The real problem here is that AT&T censored the political speech instead of what they really should have been shielding us from: the music.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: AT&T Edits out (censors) anti-Bush lyrics
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2007, 12:22:28 pm »

A corporation has rights over their property like anyone else.
Invoking the free market when people complain about corporations misses the fact that customers communicating with each other is an important part of how the free market works.
I think AT&T doing this is pretty fucked up but I also think it is more likely to be some guy misinterpreting his orders to cut out potentially offensive content rather than some conspiracy to censor doube-plus-un-good-think.
Customers should be aware of this and be able to choose to not support this company based on this action, unfortunately this doesn't work when you have these near monopolistic corporations that are so tied to the government that people effectively have no option.
At the end of the day, they're not the government so this isn't worth getting upset about but it's a fact of the modern world that these corporations are getting hard to distinguish from the government and that is a scary thing indeed.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up