Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that the best way to sound like a noob here is to ask what the Tiny Cans of Dr. Pepper are about?

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sim City 5...? Not quite.  (Read 6565 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Sim City 5...? Not quite.
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2007, 03:03:49 am »

Sim-City was the first PC game I paid full price for.  Haven't played any version for a while. 

Hmmm...  I'll be back in a few hours...
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Sim City 5...? Not quite.
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2007, 05:35:46 am »

SimCity is one of the reasons I have a degree in Geography.

I loved what SC3 and 4 tried to do, but in practice I just never got my god damned skyscrapers because I have this compulsion to make every part of my city equally good and it just doesn't work that way.

My SimCity Society will be full of science, and then it will burn down because I spend more on schools than fire departments.

Man.  Do I spy my SC4 discs over there?  I think I do.  Do I have time to play that ever again?  I think I don't...
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Sim City 5...? Not quite.
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2007, 05:16:10 pm »

There are too many games that I love that basically look at my computer and think to themselves "that will be sufficient . . . only to render the dialog boxes for this game." I wish I had the balls to buy a crazy, planet-destroying supercomputer.

We got ourselfs a nice Alienware before the Boy came along...must've been five years ago now?  It will still run most new games -- though not at top res, of course.  We might have to upgrade the graphics card soon.  It ran Halflife 2 all right, tho. 

They are huge machines, though.  At least, they were a few years ago.  The case we have stands about 36" high and won't fit in the tower cabinet of any standard computer desk.  They may have scaled down since then, though.  Plenty of space to upgrade, though, and the first brand I ever saw to have front USB ports, and plenty of them.  We have four in the front and six in the back.  And if you should ever need to crack the case...oh man.  Like a work of art on the inside. 

Oh, here's a link: LINK.  Looks like they have a compact chassis now. 

Pedro is excited about Spore but reminds me that we don't have time to play the games we already own.  I reminded him that my MA thesis will be complete in January, and that he gave his brother my copy of SC4, and we both played it quite a bit before I went back to school.  I think he's trying to throw me off the track so I'm surprised when he gets it for me for Christmas. 

My city style was like Lister's.  I always wanted my cities to be nice places to live, above all else.  Pedro liked to cram as many people as possible into the available space and make piles and piles of money, but I tried to keep a balanced budget (or a very small surplus, when I was "saving up" for something) and provide as many services as possible.  You better believe we had darn good public transit, good schools, and clean air.  I was big into solar power.  I'd have, like, five thousand people and a solar plant.  Kind of ridiculous. 

Am I alone in that I liked the driving missions in Rush Hour?  Pedro avoided them but I thought they were fun.  I only did the nice ones, though.   ;)

Also: thank you Ben.  I think I love you. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Sim City 5...? Not quite.
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2007, 07:35:15 pm »

yeah, my cities are always balanced as hell. i always have a shit-ton of money, though, with a big surplus. But I spend it like hell on tons of hospitals and schools and stuff. My people love me.

my problems in the game always stem from assuming that it's less realistic than it actually is, if that makes sense.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

nDed

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 34
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 292
    • View Profile
Re: Sim City 5...? Not quite.
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2007, 08:57:13 pm »

SimCity games give me problems, almost always involving fire.


I find the Alienware towers a little too gaudy for my tastes. Still, if you want a pure gaming PC and aren't willing to build one yourself then Alienware is probably the way to go.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 09:07:23 pm by nDed »
Logged
Love never blows up and gets killed.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Sim City 5...? Not quite.
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2007, 04:58:18 am »

I was never able to get my cities up to "beautifully balanced machine" status in SC2K, but the chance to play Big Brother to my Orwellian supermetropolis is too much to pass up.

doubleplusgood
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Sim City 5...? Not quite.
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2007, 03:02:44 pm »

I got it yesterday.  Here's a review so far. 

I haven't gotten used to it yet.  The interface is very different, and it makes use of Sims2-style sorting mechanisms, which is kind of neat.  However, my main complaint at this point is that you can't zoom out far enough.  I want to see a larger portion of the city at a time, and you're so close to the action it's hard to plan roadways. 

I think that Societies is aimed at a very different kind of gamer from the previous Sim City games.  It's highly complex, but in a different sort of way.  Gone are the days of finding the right tax rate balance, zoning large tracts of land and hoping people move in, and micromanaging city services.  Gone, too, are the mundane details of transportation planning, the endless color-coded mini-maps, and the overlapping circles indicating police and fire coverage.  The game takes care of these things for you. 

Buildings are now placed individually -- including homes and offices -- so you can decide that the software developer goes here, next to the high-rise condos, with an ice cream parlor in between.  Each building either generates or utilizes a variety of resources which must be kept in balance: workers with jobs, citizens with "venues" (places to have fun), businesses with patrons.  Additionally, each building also either produces or requires one of more of the "values" -- productivity, prosperity, creativity, spirituality, authority, and knowledge.  If you build a Liberal Arts College, for instance, without the requisite combination of creativity and knowledge, the building will not function (and you'll get something like a no-power zot flashing above it).  By building objects like decorative murals, playgrounds, public libraries, and elementary schools, you can increase your creativity and knowledge scores sufficiently to support more and more buildings.  As your total score for each value increases, more and more buildings are unlocked. 

In some ways, I miss the ability to play around with the city-management aspect of the older games.  Societies is less a city simulator and more of an anthropological experiment.  My advice: consider the game on its own merits, and don't buy it simply because it shares a name with a series you like.  Conversely, if you've never played a Sim City game before, but think you'd like this kind of social experiment, don't hesitate to pick it up.  It's a solid game that stands on its own merits, but if you expect it to be like a more advanced version of Sim City 4, you're going to be disappointed. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

chuanoplast

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 33
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 234
  • Most Painful Part
    • View Profile
    • Stupid Blog
Re: Sim City 5...? Not quite.
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2007, 06:21:51 pm »

A-CAP, your picture is incorrect. It should look like this:

Logged
The most important decision in my life: the rabbit mug or the monkey mug. (PS I GOT THE KITTY MUG)

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Sim City 5...? Not quite.
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2007, 07:59:43 pm »

Wrong thread?
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Sim City 5...? Not quite.
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2007, 08:01:15 pm »

Wrong thread?

Right thread, just one page back. Replying to a post you made, actually.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Sim City 5...? Not quite.
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2007, 09:30:37 pm »

Well, lookit that.  This is the sort of thing that happens in zombie threads.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up