Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Yay us!
Happy 9th Birthday to TOUAMB.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Knitting, my latest geeky hobby  (Read 6453 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Knitting, my latest geeky hobby
« on: August 15, 2007, 03:07:31 am »

Does anyone else knit?  I learned about two years ago and after the initial obsessive phase broke I still enjoy it immensely.  I bring it up now because I am working on a pair of socks for my mom's Christmas present and they are really advanced so I basically want an excuse to brag. 

Alternatively, who is working on an artsy-craftsy type of project right now?  There's got to be someone out there who sews, or scrapbooks, or paints Warhammer models, or something.  For some reason I'd peg linnea as a paper-crafter?  I don't know why?  And AugustWest as a model-train guy?  (For the record I think model trains are incredibly cool, although I am aware that this opinion puts me in the minority.) 

I am also "working" on a scrapbook (in other words, I did one page and it's still in my free tote bag from Archiver's) chronicling the story of my courtship with Pedro, up to and including his marriage proposal.  I am one of those scrapbookers who buys materials and has Big Plans but rarely actually Does Things.  I enjoy doing it, but it takes a lot of effort to get things out and to put them away again afterwards, whereas knitting is sort of a "pick it up and take it with you" kind of hobby.  Much better suited to a busy mom's life. 

So...who's doing things?  I'm curious to see what y'all do when you're not posting here. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Knitting, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 03:22:32 am »

OOOH!! Great thread, JL.

I'm not a paper crafter, but I love knitting and crochet. I do like drawing, though, and that's paper. ;) My ex used to play Warhammer and I painted a squadron of Adepta Sororitas although I found the Byzantine rules of the game way too boring to actually play a game myself. Sadly, I think I threw my squadron away after we broke up because i found it too painful to look at. Whenever I would read through my friends' Warhammer magazines, it seemed like quite often it was ladies who would win the convention painting contests for the best painted figurine. Our two friends who got him into Warhammer are a couple, and the girl was an incredible painter. As luck would have it, when we broke up they went with him and have cut off all contact with me. I still have dreams about hanging out with them, because I loved them so much. Sigh. Anyway, I'm sure I'll make better friends, but I miss them a lot. Even though it's been three years since I've seen them or heard from them.

Probably my most complex project was when I knitted Kellichou a bag from Stitch n' Bitch and felted it. I'll have to get a photo of it. Kelli said that two adorable 4-year-old twin girls were enthralled by it at a restaurant. One of the girls grabbed her mom's hand, pointed, and said in a stage whisper: "Mommm! Her purse is SO FUZZY!" Kelli thought it was super-cute. The purse has a "K" on it for Kelli. I'm supposed to make similar purses for my mom and younger sister, but genius me did not put the yarn in my yarn tote. It is in a box somewhere in storage. Good job, Somebody nice. I'll have to go dig it out.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Knitting, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 04:08:23 am »

I have always wanted to learn to knit.  I have a pair of socks my grandma knitted for me when I was about 12 that are still the best damn socks I own.  They were a little big on me then, but now they fit me perfectly.  I try not to wear them too often, because I know there's no more where they came from.

I used to quilt, but found it really bad for my back - I totally hunch over my lap, and no matter how I try otherwise this is the position I want to be in if quilting.  I'm descent at sewing, but don't enjoy it.  It's a chore, not a passtime. 

My general crafty passion is seeking out and re-purposing/restoring old stuff.  I have a love of old-house salvage shops.  I picked up an oak cabinet with orange glass doors from a place called "this old house" that fits like a glove in our half bath.  I particularly enjoy refinishing wooden furniture.  I have a beautiful mirrored dresser (circa 1940-something) covered in about 1/4 inch of white paint given to me by a dear friend many years ago.  This friend passed away last year, so I treasure it even more now.  I'm greatly looking forward to stripping it, but took the time to learn what I was doing on several smaller, less important pieces.  I can't wait to see the wood underneath. I think this project is for next summer.

My best project so far is a large antique dried plum crate that I had a nice piece of pine cut to fit as a a lid.  I had the SO attach some nice strap hinges to connect the lid to the crate as I still strip most screws I meet.  I stained the lid a rich ebony that really shows the grain and matches the black labelling on the crate which reads "Preserve Plum" and has a bunch of funky emblems and the address the plums came from on China.  It serves as both a hamper and an end table, and everyone always asks where I bought it.  They're stunned when I say I made it.  I have a couple chairs, including the one I sit in right now that have great lines but are in desperate need of refinishing and reupholstering.  The local leasure guide offers reupholstering classes, and I'm certainly toying with the idea.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Knitting, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 04:22:21 am »

And AugustWest as a model-train guy? 

Uh, no. 

But I do play Railroad Tycoon a lot.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Knitting, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 04:45:37 am »

I have never made anything that didn't come out badly. This is due to a combination of lack of interest, and utter lack of hand-eye coordination. My wonderful friend Erin made me a scrapbook for graduation, and I love it. The best detail is a lovingly crafted replica of a famous Gatorade Bottle Top-- due to Parents, though, the replica is inexact, as the inscription on the top only says "****!" rather than the true word itself. (FUCK!)

Um, the only thing I have made is my lego White Stripes man (on top of the bookshelf at an awkward angle.)
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Knitting, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 05:51:15 am »

I have never made anything that didn't come out badly. This is due to a combination of lack of interest, and utter lack of hand-eye coordination. My wonderful friend Erin made me a scrapbook for graduation, and I love it. The best detail is a lovingly crafted replica of a famous Gatorade Bottle Top-- due to Parents, though, the replica is inexact, as the inscription on the top only says "****!" rather than the true word itself. (FUCK!)

Um, the only thing I have made is my lego White Stripes man (on top of the bookshelf at an awkward angle.)

There is a Famous Gatorade Bottle Top? Did you talk about it on the boards, or is this some kind of cultural phenomenon that I missed?
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Knitting, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 12:46:33 pm »

oh, no. I was being facetious. One time, in like 8th grade, she wrote "FUCK!" on the top of a gatorade bottle, and when she wanted to curse she would just flash it. It was funny because, you know, she is cussing in front of her mom, and her mom doesn't know.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Knitting, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 04:16:53 pm »

Probably my most complex project was when I knitted Kellichou a bag from Stitch n' Bitch and felted it.

I made that purse for my mother-in-law for her birthday one year!  Hers, of course, has a "g."  It was my first felting project (aside from some practice potholders, which didn't turn out so well considering that I didn't read the label properly and tried to felt superwash wool...).  She uses it regularly, which makes me really happy.  If you liked making it, I recommend a book called Pursenalities, which is a bunch of felted bags -- totes, clutches, pocketbooks, the works.  It has about twenty patterns in it, and a lot of them combine wool with novelty yarns so you get the felted look with, like, marabou edging, or a little shimmer in the body.  I just love projects where gauge doesn't matter.  I'm obsessed with socks lately, though, I don't know why.  I've been knitting a lot of newborn-sized diaper covers, too, for some reason.  ;) 

I knew I had it all wrong when I started trying to guess people's hobbies.  I just had to give it a go, anyway.  To prove that I'm not right about everything all the time? 

Pedro plays Warhammer, and I painted parts of his Tau army before my son was born.  But, like scrapbooking, it became a thing where I only have fifteen minutes here and there to pursue hobbies, so anything that involves set-up and take-down wasn't feasible anymore.  So he did some, and paid a friend to do the rest for him.  He only has about a 1000 point army, so he just does skirmishes and pick-up games.  He competed in a league one year but it was too time-consuming.  Plus, as one of the newest players in the league, he got his ass handed to him so many times in a row that I think he got frustrated. 

I have always wanted to complete the dollhouse my parents made me for my sixth birthday.  It has wallpaper and flooring in some of the rooms, but others are bare.  I played with it and loved it just the same -- but now that I'm a grownup I'd love to finish it as an heirloom for my own kids.  The parts for it are hard to find, though, because it's an unusual scale -- most are 1:12, but this is 1:16.  It is a huge dollhouse, a mansion, really -- the base is a full-size sheet of plywood -- and it's a gorgeous near-reproduction of the house I grew up in (which my Dad also designed and built).  And I have no idea where it's going to go when we move, because there is no place in the apartment to store such a thing.  I'm hoping my in-laws can take it, since they still have my brother-in-law's air hockey table.  I think the two would make a nice set in their third-floor playroom.  ;) 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Knitting, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 04:40:47 pm »

I have been known to stitch one on...

Beanie Hat -
http://raindog.net/ljimages/beanie1.jpg

The matching scarf that I'm working on (Ravenclaw colors...cause... I'm a sad little man)
http://raindog.net/ljimages/scarf2b.jpg
http://raindog.net/ljimages/scarf020606.jpg

The Cunning Hats I knit for a couple people as modeled by the ladyfriend and the boy-
http://raindog.net/jayne/jayne1.jpg
http://raindog.net/jayne/jayne2.jpg

I got sidetracked about a year ago, when I had to pack up the entire house and move to Portland.   I need to seriously finish my scarf.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Knitting, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 04:51:30 pm »

Awesome, smick!  I did Hogwarts scarves for my friend and her daughter -- Ravenclaw and Griffindor, respectively -- for Christmas last year.  They were the "wide stripes" variety, although honestly I prefer the look of the one you're doing, with the thin stripes, instead.  I promised Jough a Slytherin scarf at some point, but told him it would probably be a year before I even cast on for it.  I had to do my friend's scarf in a horrible cheap worsted-weight acrylic because she's allergic to wool, but for Jough's I was thinking Lamb's Pride bulky.  They have very Slyther-ene shades of green. 

What kind of yarn did you use for the Ravenclaw scarf?  The blue looks just perfect. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Knitting, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2007, 04:59:12 pm »

I'm using the Lion brand Wool-Ease.   The colors were pretty spot on.   

And yea, I liked the thin striped scarves myself.   I'm doing this one on circulars, so right now it's one big tube.   I don't think my home town will ever get cold enough for it though.   
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Knitting, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2007, 06:18:26 pm »

Awesome toques smick!

JL, I have a total doll house obsession.  My mom wouldn't let me have one when I was little, so it's become a fixation.  I even walked for a total of 3 hrs round trip to get to a dollhouse shop in a city I was visiting one day.  I don't own a doll house, but I've always wanted to.  I think it's the reason I got into theatre - my love of replicated worlds.  Would it be creepy and weird for an adult with no children to have a doll house?  Yes.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Knitting, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2007, 07:36:18 pm »

I have done all kinds of crafty things on and off in my life, but never any of the yarny activities.  Knitting seems quite miraculous to me, that you can take string and turn it into an almost solid object using nothing other than two needles. It's not a craft, it's some kind of magic.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Knitting, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2007, 07:36:46 pm »

OMG. Smick. Maximum cuddles. However, I can't see the pictures you posted for some reason.

I'm reminded of my favorite commercial of all time, where a cute punk boy is caught quilting by his punk roommates, who start laughing hysterically. He gets on Yahoo and finds an awesome quilting group.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 07:41:36 pm by linnea »
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Knitting, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2007, 07:41:11 pm »

Would it be creepy and weird for an adult with no children to have a doll house?  Yes.

There are lots of adults who make doll houses as a hobby. Have you ever looked at the prices of the really fancy stuff? You'd never let a little kid anywhere near it.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up