Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Today's Kim Jong-il Fact™: North Korean state media reports that Kim routinely shoots three or four holes-in-one per round. (Wikipedia)

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Knitting, my latest geeky hobby  (Read 6448 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Knitting, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2007, 09:56:09 pm »

Actually, 16 and 14.  The 16 year old is the one I want to learn.  She likes making hemp bracelets and stuff like that so I thought this would be a good progression. 

Oh, I feel old.  So old. 

Okay, here's a knitting book that might inspire someone in that age set: Charmed Knits, a book of Harry Potter projects.  (Yes, it has Mrs. Weasley's housecoat.)  I want a copy of this.  I only became cognizant of its existence thirty seconds ago and now I must have it. 

There are also some "just for teens" books and DVDs on the market, but I tend to think that they are usually dumbed-down and written in a grown-up, bastardized version of hipspeak.  Plus they assume that all teenagers who want to knit are shallow, fashion-obsessed females.  (Knitted lip balm holder?  I wish I were making that up.)  But they do take an interesting angle in that there are knitting projects (iPod cases, et al) that make great quick-to-make gifts for friends, which I suppose is the idea behind hemp bracelets and such.  That angle might appeal to your daughter. 

If that's the case, find free patterns online, or get a copy of Stitch 'n Bitch Nation.  That book is still dumbed down, but at least its slangy writing style is in earnest and it's aimed a few years older, towards hipsters living in a material world.  Stoller also has a crochet book, The Happy Hooker. 

Linnea -- you're probably right, I've taught some very young kids to crochet, because the two-needles thing is a little daunting.  But to an older kid to adult student, it matters significantly less, I believe. 

AD: I knit during hockey games.  Believe me, it's easier to not be insane while Detroit loses when I'm knitting a red and white toque.  My friends think I'm nuts, but I probably miss less of the game than they do, since I'm not jumping up and down and screaming at the screen. 

I have been known to drop stitches when somebody scores, though. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Knitting, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2007, 12:07:26 am »

Oh, I feel old.  So old. 

Okay, here's a knitting book that might inspire someone in that age set: Charmed Knits, a book of Harry Potter projects.  (Yes, it has Mrs. Weasley's housecoat.)  I want a copy of this.  I only became cognizant of its existence thirty seconds ago and now I must have it. 

There are also some "just for teens" books and DVDs on the market, but I tend to think that they are usually dumbed-down and written in a grown-up, bastardized version of hipspeak.  Plus they assume that all teenagers who want to knit are shallow, fashion-obsessed females.  (Knitted lip balm holder?  I wish I were making that up.)  But they do take an interesting angle in that there are knitting projects (iPod cases, et al) that make great quick-to-make gifts for friends, which I suppose is the idea behind hemp bracelets and such.  That angle might appeal to your daughter. 

If that's the case, find free patterns online, or get a copy of Stitch 'n Bitch Nation.  That book is still dumbed down, but at least its slangy writing style is in earnest and it's aimed a few years older, towards hipsters living in a material world.  Stoller also has a crochet book, The Happy Hooker. 

Linnea -- you're probably right, I've taught some very young kids to crochet, because the two-needles thing is a little daunting.  But to an older kid to adult student, it matters significantly less, I believe. 

AD: I knit during hockey games.  Believe me, it's easier to not be insane while Detroit loses when I'm knitting a red and white toque.  My friends think I'm nuts, but I probably miss less of the game than they do, since I'm not jumping up and down and screaming at the screen. 

I have been known to drop stitches when somebody scores, though. 

I really love the Stitch n' Bitch books. However, the book that I used to teach myself to knit was this one. The illustrations are spot-on and very clear and easy to read/understand. Plus they're gender neutral projects, although many of the ones in SnB are as well. I think that SnB was geared more towards a female hipster audience, but being a female hipster I might be biased.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Knitting, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2007, 01:01:44 am »

Oh, I feel old.  So old. 


Yeah, tell me about it.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Knitting, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2007, 01:29:17 am »

I really love the Stitch n' Bitch books. However, the book that I used to teach myself to knit was this one. The illustrations are spot-on and very clear and easy to read/understand. Plus they're gender neutral projects, although many of the ones in SnB are as well. I think that SnB was geared more towards a female hipster audience, but being a female hipster I might be biased.

To clarify, I love the patterns in SnB, but feel the writing style tries too hard to combat the "old-ladies-knitting-doilies" stereotype.  Methinks Ms. Stoller doth protest too much.  Knitting is the ultimate in female geek chic.  It's almost anti-technology.  That's part of the appeal, at least for me -- making something you could easily buy.  Why spend $20 on yarn and 50 hours of effort to knit a pair of socks by hand, when you can get five pairs for ten dollars at Wal-Mart? 

Well, because handknit socks are beautiful. 

Fun fur scarves?  Not so much. 

I think Stoller tries to take the nerdiness out of knitting, and I think that that is a shame.  But I do like all her books, in terms of what patterns she offers.  SnB Nation also offers a great beginner's guide to adapting patterns for one's own body type, as well.  So while I find her style grating, I do recommend her books for their content. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Knitting, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2007, 05:05:33 am »

Dude, you need to broaden your mind regarding gender roles. 

I actually asked because I've been trying to get my daughter to learn to knit.  But I've considered taking it up myself.  Something to do with ones hands whilst watching football.

Dude, don't do it. I tried to do cross-stitch while watching football - and understand, I really like to cross-stich, because it's so regimented and arrayed and shit. But you might as well sit in front of the TV and stab yourself with a fork.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Knitting, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2007, 05:14:54 am »

Yeah, but knitting needles aren't nearly so pointy.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Knitting, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2007, 04:38:17 pm »

I am not saying anything here Re: Feeling Old.

Um, I am at the beach and have very limited internet access, so, I am going to respond to something pretty far back-- yeah, I have some old Warhammer guys somewhere, and I made them look kind of semi hot. I could never put any of the tanks or anything together, though. those guys looked kickass, but I realized that all of my allowance was  going to little plastic dudes.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Knitting, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2007, 07:12:11 pm »

Dude, don't do it. I tried to do cross-stitch while watching football - and understand, I really like to cross-stich, because it's so regimented and arrayed and shit. But you might as well sit in front of the TV and stab yourself with a fork.

I would love to see what kinda stuff you've turned out in the cross-stitch arena. My little imagination is already chuckling at the awesome, subversive, badass designs that you might have created.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Knitting, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2007, 09:46:17 pm »

Yeah, but knitting needles aren't nearly so pointy.

I just never could get the hang of giving enough attention to the project. When I'm watching football, I am enraptured (have I mentioned how sincerely happy I am the season is back?) - and if it's a program I don't have to give as much focus to, I figure why bother watching.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Knitting, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2007, 12:15:29 am »

I just never could get the hang of giving enough attention to the project. When I'm watching football, I am enraptured (have I mentioned how sincerely happy I am the season is back?) - and if it's a program I don't have to give as much focus to, I figure why bother watching.

The thing is, if you're good enough at knitting, you don't have to look at your hands. 

My best friend cross-stitches, and we constantly debate the merits of our individual crafts.  She admits to envying my ability to pursue mine without missing Angel. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Knitting, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2007, 01:08:49 am »

The thing about football is the action comes in bursts.  Normally I do crossword puzzles during football games.  There are clumps of action every 30 - 45 seconds then 2 or 3 minutes of commercials.  I get bored if I don't have something else to do.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Knitting, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2007, 01:25:57 am »

The thing about football is the action comes in bursts.

That is a massive understatement. I believe the average NFL game clocks in at around 16 minutes. However it takes about 3.5 hours of TV-time.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Knitting, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2007, 02:06:42 am »

The thing about football is the action comes in bursts.  Normally I do crossword puzzles during football games.  There are clumps of action every 30 - 45 seconds then 2 or 3 minutes of commercials.  I get bored if I don't have something else to do.

The thing about football is that it has a seven month offseason. I have to squeeze every ounce of football out of each broadcast. I ain't missing a second of it.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Knitting, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2007, 12:02:39 pm »

My gifted class teacher taught her students to cross-stitch in the first grade. It was part of a project to create a quilt of memorable historical events. My panel was on Wrenn's Mill. The quilt itself ended up in the collection of the Isle of Wight Museum. So, yeah, my childhood art is museum quality, bitches.

I must've peaked early, because I have no talents in the art/craft field now.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up