Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood If Twain were alive today, he would guffaw despite his benevolent befuddlement.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Andy Kaufman...  (Read 4402 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Andy Kaufman...
« on: August 20, 2007, 05:23:07 am »

Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Beatrice

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 280
    • View Profile
Re: Andy Kaufman...
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 05:20:39 pm »

yeah, and cocking that subsequently wasted an hour of my life.  but in a good way.

edit: CLICK!  hahaha

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Andy Kaufman...
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 08:26:12 pm »

the first time I ever remember thinking my parents were extremely foolish was when I said that I loved Andy Kaufman and they said he was an idiot who wasn't funny. I remember this moment very specifically.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Andy Kaufman...
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 10:37:59 pm »

The first time I ever saw Andy Kaufman was on an SNL rerun, about to do the Mighty penis routine, and my father pointed to me and said:

"Always remember this, Mike. This is the funniest thing ever done."

...and goddamn it, he was right!

It was kind of like those commericals where the dude reminisces about watching Hank Aaron's 715 shot with his dad, except with awesome people instead.

...but Andy wasn't tough enough...
...big time wrestling can be so rough...
...no, Andy wasn't tough enough...
...so he had to wrestle women...
...Andy always dreamed of wrestling...
...oooooo... oooo... ooo... oooo....
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Andy Kaufman...
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 11:23:04 pm »

I sort of like Andy Kaufman, but it's always that ironic enjoyment. I don't like him as much as I like, say, Richard Pryor. It isn't that I like him in a different way, it's just I like that laugh out loud funny more than the absurdist, Dada humor. Maybe that's not the case, though. Maybe it's just because I've seen it so much by now. It's kind of meta to appreciate it now, though, because part of the enjoyment is thinking about how the people who were watching it originally must have just been blown out of their shoes. Of course, that's key to the enjoyment of his work - the appreciation of how many if not most of his audience became angry and felt cheated, to an extent.

Complicated guy. Not as easily dealt with as a fellow like Andrew Dice Clay.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Andy Kaufman...
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 11:25:13 pm »

My two favourite stand-ups of all time... Bill Hicks and Andy Kaufman.

I think I'm a big fan of confrontational-meets-thought-provoking.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Andy Kaufman...
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2007, 12:31:38 am »

My two favourite stand-ups of all time... Bill Hicks and Andy Kaufman.

I think I'm a big fan of confrontational-meets-thought-provoking.

Not to mention dead.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Andy Kaufman...
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2007, 12:36:40 am »

AK was thought provoking and confrontational? i guess i just kind of saw him as a jim carrey funnyman.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Andy Kaufman...
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2007, 01:45:04 am »

AK was thought provoking and confrontational? i guess i just kind of saw him as a jim carrey funnyman.

And by 'saw' you mean 'only saw him on Taxi'?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Andy Kaufman...
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2007, 01:53:01 am »

And by 'saw' you mean 'only saw him on Taxi'?

Im not saying i fucked the guy, im just saying thats my impression of him from what material ive been exposed to.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Andy Kaufman...
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2007, 01:54:38 am »

And I am saying Dumb and Dumber didn't seem much to me like a guy lip-syncing to Mighty penis. But what the fuck do I know?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Andy Kaufman...
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2007, 03:18:20 am »

arachnocapitalist, do a little research on the guy's stand-up work and you will not be disappointed.

Kaufman perfected the art of... comedy as the performer making himself laugh and then you're laughing by identifying with his amusement at you. It is kind of Comedy Perfected.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Andy Kaufman...
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2007, 04:33:09 am »

Andy Kaufman? Andy Kaufman good.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Andy Kaufman...
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2007, 01:33:16 pm »

The whole idea that he's still alive out there somewhere is really enjoyable to me.  I doubt it's true though.  But the milk and cookies kid in me believes just a little bit.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

troublecat

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 10
    • View Profile
Re: Andy Kaufman...
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2007, 09:44:21 pm »

I got really excited in 2004, since it was the twentieth anniversary of his death (AK having said that if he faked his death, he'd come back twenty years later).  When he didn't come back, I thought maybe he did actually fake his death, but then managed to accidentally die while waiting for the twenty years to be up.  That would suck.

But yeah, there's always that crazy glimmer of hope that somewhere, Andy Kaufman is still alive, and laughing at all the people who think he's dead.  It's a nice thought.
Logged
"I'm not supposed to eat Twiglets."
"Why not?"
"They make me violent."
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up