Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that there is no way to put a picture of a pug in the News Box?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: August 20, 2007: Welcome to FiestaMax  (Read 7985 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

HudsonVC

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 29
    • View Profile
August 20, 2007: Welcome to FiestaMax
« on: August 20, 2007, 07:13:23 am »

In which some fairly tired riffing on theme-restaurant platter names gives Beef "a terrible case of the Dignities":

http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=08202007

Wow. Mr. Onstad has just mined a vein of comedy that it in no way recalls Tchotchke's or Shenaningan's or T.J. O'Pootertoot's and that one episode of The Simpsons where Moe turns his bar into a tacky theme  joint.

That said, I may change my user name to "Sure-Shootin' Rex Dandycorn."
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 07:58:10 am by HudsonVC »
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: August 20, 2007: Welcome to FiestaMax
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 08:16:13 am »

Yeah this went a bit too over the top to be that funny. Though Beef's spin landing on the tomb stone is nicely typical.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: August 20, 2007: Welcome to FiestaMax
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 08:32:19 am »

You know you're up late when the damn Aussies are posting.  I got to admit, I tend to go either of two ways with the incredibly enthusiastic waitstaff.  Beef and Ray are standing in nicely for that.  Most often, coming in with a buzz on will tilt me down the path of enjoying the absurdity.  Sometimes though, I walk into the joint, pick up the vibe and just go "I am so not in the mood".  A hot dog off the cart vendor near the hardware store is the best option in such times.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

gloomba

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 9
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 63
  • One stomp and he dies . . . . 100 PTS.
    • View Profile
Re: August 20, 2007: Welcome to FiestaMax
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 11:40:01 am »

My favorite part of this strip is the incorrect ñ in "bueno."

I also got a kick out of "Blammin' Slammin' Oh Man Am I Jammin'."  That is truly nauseating.

I have trouble just getting ice cream at Cold Stone because they refer to small, medium, and large as "like it," "love it," and "gotta have it" (or something along those lines).  Ugh.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: August 20, 2007: Welcome to FiestaMax
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 12:29:32 pm »

this is like how, at Moe's, the three sizes of "Queso" (don't even get me started on that name...) are Side, Cup, and Bowl. This makes sense until people ask for a Side of Queso, and then complain "no! I wanted the big one!" while others get all pissy when you ask "what size?"-- "um... a side. that's what I just said."


WELCOME TO fuck*ng MOE'S

luckily I am probably never entering that place again after yesterday.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: August 20, 2007: Welcome to FiestaMax
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 12:46:54 pm »

I have trouble just getting ice cream at Cold Stone because they refer to small, medium, and large as "like it," "love it," and "gotta have it" (or something along those lines).  Ugh.

I always get Lovett size. 

We don't go to T.G.I. Friday's unless we're both in the foulest of moods.  Because it's the only place in town where we don't feel bad about abusing the wait staff. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

gloomba

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 9
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 63
  • One stomp and he dies . . . . 100 PTS.
    • View Profile
Re: August 20, 2007: Welcome to FiestaMax
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 12:56:19 pm »

Cold Stone depresses me all around.  Aside from the size debacle, if you tip them, they have to sing degrading songs.  This discourages me from tipping, but then that makes me feel bad for not tipping.  Then I start worrying about what kind of circumstances forced them into getting a job where you have to sing for quarters.  A simple excursion to get ice cream becomes a spiral of shame and liberal guilt about my own privilege.  In general I prefer Baskin-Robbins.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: August 20, 2007: Welcome to FiestaMax
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 01:17:05 pm »

Cold Stone depresses me all around.  Aside from the size debacle, if you tip them, they have to sing degrading songs.  This discourages me from tipping, but then that makes me feel bad for not tipping.  Then I start worrying about what kind of circumstances forced them into getting a job where you have to sing for quarters.  A simple excursion to get ice cream becomes a spiral of shame and liberal guilt about my own privilege.  In general I prefer Baskin-Robbins.

I love Cold Stone.  It is my favourite Ice Cream Parlour.  Due to deliciousness.  I can overlook the social awkwardness of it, because their ice cream creations are so tasty. 

The Best: Peanut Butter Cup Perfection with Dark Chocolate ice cream (instead of regular chocolate, which it comes with.)  IMHO, of course. 

Around these parts, Cold Stone is staffed predominately with high school students who seem to really enjoy singing for tips and being generally perky in some sort of twisted display of Cheerleaderesque "School Spirit."  That, or sullen, shaggy-haired boys looking to earn some cash for a new Paiste or perhaps that high-powered amp, who dish your ice cream in silence with subtly rippling sinews barely emerging from their short sleeves, then betray their mild manner with a charming, boyish grin as they place the dripping cone in your trembling hand.  "Here you go, Mrs. Robinson," he murmurs...

Oh, man.  Sorry about that.  Got lost in my head for a second there. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Bimmicus

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 32
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 186
  • Rotten Bastard
    • View Profile
    • SPLUNGE
Re: August 20, 2007: Welcome to FiestaMax
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2007, 01:22:54 pm »

Funny, I have that condition too.
Logged
you can't spank the monkey if he's on your back

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: August 20, 2007: Welcome to FiestaMax
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2007, 02:05:03 pm »

I actually like how when you put money in the tip jar at Five Guys whoever sees you do it says "thank you" then the rest of the staff will all say "thank you" together.

I always hated ordering from Little Caesar's. Because you'd order 2 pizzas, then they clerk would be, "OK, so does that mean you want to order 'one' so we give you 2, or do you want to order '2' so you get 4 total?" It was even worse for odd numbers.

And while I'm at it, when you order something in another language, do you try to pronounce the name of the dish as written, or just say "the sauteed mushrooms"?
Logged

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: August 20, 2007: Welcome to FiestaMax
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2007, 02:28:52 pm »

And while I'm at it, when you order something in another language, do you try to pronounce the name of the dish as written, or just say "the sauteed mushrooms"?

Nah, I figure when they put numbers on the menu, that's to help keep me from like an exotifying ass or an idiot. 

"I'll go with #38."
"The Pra Nlick P'ant"
"That's the one."

Also, Mrs. Dunston, reading that made me want to go get some ice cream and fuck a teenage boy.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: August 20, 2007: Welcome to FiestaMax
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2007, 02:42:03 pm »

Also, Mrs. Dunston, reading that made me want to go get some ice cream and fuck a teenage boy.

Ever my goal -- to inspire lust for ice cream and jailbait. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: August 20, 2007: Welcome to FiestaMax
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2007, 04:07:20 pm »

yeah, I know like 5 people that have worked at Cold Stone and quit due to Hating.

my favorite story is the following:
we have a burrito called the "Joey Bag of Donuts"
most regulars simply call this a Joey.

a week or so ago, when ringing up a customer, I said "ok, so it's a Joey bag of Donuts and a soda?"
"no... I don't have any donuts."
"Excuse me?"
"I... you said something about donuts. I just have a burrito."
"oh... Oh! *pretends to change something on the register* well, thank you ma'am, your total will be (some really unfair amount of money because Moe's charges too much, I think)"
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: August 20, 2007: Welcome to FiestaMax
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2007, 05:02:46 pm »

Meh strip, but do I love Ray's expression looking at us in the last panel...
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: August 20, 2007: Welcome to FiestaMax
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2007, 06:42:54 pm »

I love Cold Stone.  It is my favourite Ice Cream Parlour.  Due to deliciousness.  I can overlook the social awkwardness of it, because their ice cream creations are so tasty. 

The Best: Peanut Butter Cup Perfection with Dark Chocolate ice cream (instead of regular chocolate, which it comes with.)  IMHO, of course. 

Around these parts, Cold Stone is staffed predominately with high school students who seem to really enjoy singing for tips and being generally perky in some sort of twisted display of Cheerleaderesque "School Spirit."  That, or sullen, shaggy-haired boys looking to earn some cash for a new Paiste or perhaps that high-powered amp, who dish your ice cream in silence with subtly rippling sinews barely emerging from their short sleeves, then betray their mild manner with a charming, boyish grin as they place the dripping cone in your trembling hand.  "Here you go, Mrs. Robinson," he murmurs...

Oh, man.  Sorry about that.  Got lost in my head for a second there. 

Heh! Now I don't feel like such a pervert.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up