Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Note how white pepper, ground freshly into one's hand, makes it smell as though you've been rubbing your open palm around on a horse's anus.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: August 21, 2007: My Fiesta Name is Pendejo  (Read 6955 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

HudsonVC

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 29
    • View Profile
August 21, 2007: My Fiesta Name is Pendejo
« on: August 21, 2007, 05:42:56 am »

And in the follow-up, Mr. Onstad explores his love of well-crafted street food:

http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=08212007

His spring 2007 interview at Taco is valuable background material. Choice quotes:

Quote
I like a taco with a base of two firm little corn tortillas, stuck together, as I imagine most legitimate tacos are. I like a hard-caramelized pastor or asada under a heavy handful of cilantro and onion. This won’t mean anything to your Los Angeles readers, but my local for tacos is El Charrito in San Carlos, at the intersection of Holly and El Camino Real. You can barely get in there at lunchtime for all the Mexicans who have been busting their asses all morning. They do buche, cabeza, lengua, all the good stuff....

... I like local places, neighborhood places, where a hot forkful of homemade spaghetti bolognese is treated less like a quivering unicorn egg and more like the tough old workhoss it is.

I like this strip much better than its predecessor.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 05:50:40 am by HudsonVC »
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: August 21, 2007: My Fiesta Name is Pendejo
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 05:49:59 am »

I imagine the actor Danny Trejo working at the taco truck.

I have no idea why.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: August 21, 2007: My Fiesta Name is Pendejo
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 06:22:33 am »

Compared to the overpriced food at FiestaMax, buying a taco at a taco truck will give you enough money to buy Lesotho or maybe Soweto.

Oh my god...I just found a site where I can locate the best taco trucks in Denver. Flippin' sweeeeeeeeeeet!
Logged

oball

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 128
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 507
  • In excess of seven ding dongs
    • View Profile
Re: August 21, 2007: My Fiesta Name is Pendejo
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 06:30:46 am »

I had to look up "pendejo" on Urban Dictionary.
Logged
Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: August 21, 2007: My Fiesta Name is Pendejo
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 12:45:16 pm »

This one made me laugh... TWICE.

Also, I had to go to tacobell.com to look up "fourthmeal" and apparently Onstad wasn't joking.  But FiestaMax seems to be more in competition with Chi-Chis or Chili's than Taco Bell or Chipotle.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: August 21, 2007: My Fiesta Name is Pendejo
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 01:02:17 pm »

This was worth getting up in the morning for. Thank you Mr. Onstad.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: August 21, 2007: My Fiesta Name is Pendejo
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 01:18:19 pm »

This one made me laugh... TWICE.

Also, I had to go to tacobell.com to look up "fourthmeal" and apparently Onstad wasn't joking.  But FiestaMax seems to be more in competition with Chi-Chis or Chili's than Taco Bell or Chipotle.

The Taco Bell by my work has so many "Fourth Meal" and "Breakfast Burrito" posters up in their windows that it's basically impossible to actually see through them.

Is Chi-Chi's still around? All the ones around here are closed. Although sometimes I still see those places with a Chili's and South of the Border combined and that's pretty amusing.
Logged

MrCB

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 18
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 122
    • View Profile
Re: August 21, 2007: My Fiesta Name is Pendejo
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 02:51:51 pm »

My Fiesta Name is Pendejo, you killed my burito, prepare to die.
Logged
I'LL BE DEAD BY THE TIME THEY SLAP THE CUFFS ON

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: August 21, 2007: My Fiesta Name is Pendejo
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 02:57:28 pm »

Hey HudsonVC, thank you for the quality thread starter.  It is nice to see the background juxtaposed since I'm lazy-ass and didn't want to look it up myself.

The phenomenon of talking about insane Mexican food franchises is distinctly American to me.  We don't have a lot of Mexican chains around these parts.  I get the humour, but thankfully this is something I've never experienced, and probably never will.  We've got a few non-Mexican places that totally condescend to the patron, and the shitty Taco Bell's here, and just a few authentic Mexican places.  Conversely, it reminds me of that South Park where Cartman wants to got to Casa Bonita so bad.  I don't like South Park much, but that episode sticks with me, because it makes me want to go to a place like Casa Bonita, but in real life I'd be totally annoyed.

Also, what is Pendejo?
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: August 21, 2007: My Fiesta Name is Pendejo
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 03:14:27 pm »

my favorite is Carajito (little shit).

Mostly because now my family uses it as kind of a term of endearment. But, in terms of, "you beat me at Scrabble... you carajito!"

upon winning Carioca against my grandmother and brother, I exclaimed "soy el mejor carajito!" (I am the main little shit? I think?)
my grandmother thought this was pretty hilarious.

so, yeah. I love mexican food. the other day at work, I got to make this little toddler his first ever mexican food. So, um, I wish the mom had told me that before hand so I could have made sure it was really good.

Am I right that hard tacos are not authentic? I hate those things so much. How am I supposed to fit all of that stuff into a little hard taco shell?

I want to go to a real taco stand. This will happen one day.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: August 21, 2007: My Fiesta Name is Pendejo
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2007, 03:18:30 pm »

upon winning Carioca against my grandmother and brother...

What is this game... Carioca?
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: August 21, 2007: My Fiesta Name is Pendejo
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2007, 03:22:25 pm »

um, it's a variant of Rummy, I think. It is a lovely game played in Argentina and Chile, and my family is addicted.

I have tried to teach my friends, but they always get pissed off and quit after a few rounds.

based on the sudden ubiquity of "dulce de leche," I am pretty sure that the Poker craze will soon be followed by the Carioca craze.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: August 21, 2007: My Fiesta Name is Pendejo
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2007, 03:25:16 pm »

Oh.
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

MrCB

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 18
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 122
    • View Profile
Re: August 21, 2007: My Fiesta Name is Pendejo
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2007, 03:44:30 pm »

If you're one of those windows running people, there's a free version of it on Microsoft's site - here http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/outreach/dnloads/Carioca.mspx

I've never tried it, I was just looking on the internets to find out more about it.
Logged
I'LL BE DEAD BY THE TIME THEY SLAP THE CUFFS ON

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: August 21, 2007: My Fiesta Name is Pendejo
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2007, 04:10:02 pm »

"Pendejo" literally means "pubic hair," but Asherdan's functional definition is correct.  I've always thought of it as "asshole."

"Carioca" is also a person from Rio, specifically someone who hangs out on the beach all day, often in a Speedo.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up