Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood There’s no Day for apologizing to our parents for all the stupid shit we put them through. Perhaps because we never finish before they die.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Magical Money Fairy  (Read 5559 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Magical Money Fairy
« on: August 23, 2007, 09:22:14 pm »

I've had a wonderful thing happen.  A play that I sort of wrote and then forgot about has suddenly recieved a comission for development.  So the magical money fairy has dropped a fat stack of cash in my lap for work I've already done and wasn't expecting any money for.  $7500.  Hooray!

What would you do if such a pile of cash magically appeared?
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Magical Money Fairy
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 09:27:45 pm »

Post a message about it on the board, most likely.

Then go out for an excessively expensive Japanese dinner and put the rest in the bank.

(Congratulations!)
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

gloomba

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 9
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 63
  • One stomp and he dies . . . . 100 PTS.
    • View Profile
Re: Magical Money Fairy
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 09:30:54 pm »

Personally I'd probably buy a fancy piece of technology of some sort and hang onto whatever was left over.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Magical Money Fairy
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 09:34:49 pm »

Interesting.  I was just thinking "oh this is a perfect reason to go out for celebratory sushi!"  and also "I'd sorta like a laptop.  I'm a writer after all!"
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Magical Money Fairy
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 09:37:41 pm »

More mutual funds!

I suck.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Magical Money Fairy
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 10:14:35 pm »

this is really weird. My friend just had a signed check made out to him for 2600$ show up in his mail. He has no idea who it is from or what it is for.

I am pretty sure now he owes the mob or something.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Magical Money Fairy
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 10:25:55 pm »

Tell him not to cash it until he figures out what it's for.  It might be a scam, or it might be a high-interest loan cleverly disguised as a no-strings check. 

Also, if I got $7500 out of the blue, I'd pay off debt.  I suck worse than Nabu. 

Wait, is that $7500 Canadian?  What's that, like $1.75 US? 

Oh, I'm just joking.  Joking! 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Magical Money Fairy
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2007, 10:38:10 pm »

I've had a wonderful thing happen.  A play that I sort of wrote and then forgot about has suddenly recieved a comission for development.  So the magical money fairy has dropped a fat stack of cash in my lap for work I've already done and wasn't expecting any money for.  $7500.  Hooray!

What would you do if such a pile of cash magically appeared?

OMG, smells, I would be hard pressed to find someone more deserving than you. I mean, we all deserve large sums of cash money on this board, but I'm really happy that you got it.

I think a rockin' sushi meal plus a new laptop would be a well-deserved indulgence for you. However, saving at least half of it would be prudent, IMHO. Mutual funds FTW.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Magical Money Fairy
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2007, 10:44:34 pm »

"I'd sorta like a laptop.  I'm a writer after all!"

Oh yeah. A laptop is the best. I am positive that I write better in the backyard and on the couch than at a desk.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Magical Money Fairy
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2007, 10:50:57 pm »

Laptop.  For sure. 

I got a really nice Toshiba last year with my student loan money, and it was only $700.  In my state, we have one weekend a year where there is no sales tax, and lots of stores run sales for the Tax Holiday, including Best Buy.  We took advantage of one such sale and got quite a deal. 

Laptops are better than they used to be and cost a lot less.  Unless weight is an issue, go for the 17" screen.  (Especially if you plan to use it for games.) 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Magical Money Fairy
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2007, 11:34:48 pm »

Bonds. Buy bonds. Bonds that pay you semiannualy or monthly. Then its like getting magic suprise money all the time! As of today A-B is paying me $300 every 6 months for the next 30 years! U S A! U S A!

Or a laptop and booze.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Magical Money Fairy
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2007, 11:36:25 pm »

this reminds me of when I went to tell them I was officially quitting Bi-Lo, and she said "so, for some reason we have a check that we never gave you." it was like 130$!

Um, a laptop would be great, but aren't you not that into computers? I would definitely say spend part of it on something nice for yourself, and save the rest. An extravagant dinner might be nice. or, several less-extravagant dinners?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Magical Money Fairy
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2007, 01:12:34 am »

Um, a laptop would be great, but aren't you not that into computers?

What has that got to do with it? I'm not that into hammers either, but if I have to stick a nail into something there's no better tool.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Magical Money Fairy
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2007, 02:10:30 am »

This has happened to us selling our condo and buying the house - we had a lot of things like insurance, taxes, etc. that were paid for the full year. It's been three months, and we still get the occasional check from some utility or something for "residual amounts."
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Magical Money Fairy
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2007, 02:12:33 am »

no, I mean, I seem to remember a lot of her saying that she didn't see why people needed nice computers, and she was perfectly happy with her old one. I mean, if that is what she wants she should get it.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up