Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood C:\> Get on the Night Train. || You are on the Night Train. There is an Axl Rose here.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Xbox 360 Gamers Represent  (Read 9370 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

crotch_lobster

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8
    • View Profile
Re: Xbox 360 Gamers Represent
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2007, 02:01:18 pm »

My gamertag is: fantasticplanet

and I don't have Bioshock yet. All I have so far is Oblivion and Gears of War. Lately I've been playing the Call of Duty 4 beta on XboxLive, if you can get a beta token you should check it out, althought I think the only way to get one now is to pre-order the game, so the whole "trying the game before you buy it" is sort of ruined. Although, now that I've played the beta, I'll definitely pre-order it. If you enjoy FPS-style games, it's one of the tightest, most pleasurable FPSes I've ever played on a console.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Xbox 360 Gamers Represent
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2007, 06:19:54 pm »

Bioshock is cool. Still scary, but I am getting more used to it.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Xbox 360 Gamers Represent
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2007, 03:27:28 am »

My Xbox Live tag is SlozburyStouvre, a horrific inside joke of a name that I regret choosing. Feel free to add!

I got Bioshock today, finally, and it's pretty sweet. One of the biggest complaints I've heard so far is that the game is too easy, but I'm definitely feeling some challenge on the medium setting. Most of that is because I can't aim the goddamn revolver to save my life, and I swear those turret guns just come out of nowhere.

Edit: And I would also like to not that BioShock is the first game in the history of the medium where I've had to read up on Ayn Rand in order to better understand the message the game is trying to convey. Or did I have to do that with Madden 2003? I forget.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 03:46:42 am by melack »
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Xbox 360 Gamers Represent
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2007, 08:40:38 am »

By the end you can get a bit over-powered but frankly I enjoyed it for the story. The ending isn't the best but the atmosphere fuck*ng kills.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Xbox 360 Gamers Represent
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2007, 02:44:46 pm »

Yeah, I spent a lot of time hacking stuff to get skills power-ups and open every safe, etc., and by 2/3s through the game you can get pretty powerful, but that didn't really diminish my enjoyment.

Also, you can up the difficulty level on the fly without consequence, so feel free to pop it up a notch (which makes your weapons a little weaker and the enemies a little more plentiful, which I enjoy) when it starts to sag for you.

Loved the game, although it didn't really move me the way Half-Life 2 did (does).  It's good, but it doesn't feel like a revolution (or revelation) to me.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Xbox 360 Gamers Represent
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2007, 03:03:47 pm »

By the end you can get a bit over-powered but frankly I enjoyed it for the story. The ending isn't the best but the atmosphere fuck*ng kills.

Did you get the good or bad ending? Because it varies depending on how many little girls you rescue.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Xbox 360 Gamers Represent
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2007, 03:08:29 pm »

Good ending. I was a goddamn paragon of virtue.
Might play through it again to get the bad ending, though I saw it already.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Xbox 360 Gamers Represent
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2007, 03:11:52 pm »

I watched the bad ending on YouTube, but I saved all the little sisters.

Someone did an analysis of how much ADAM you get from either saving or reaping the sisters, and it balances out due to the 200 ADAM bonuses you get every third sis' you save.

So there's no advantage or disadvantage either way, except if you reap them you get a little more powerful a little earlier on in the game, and the ending is suckier.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Xbox 360 Gamers Represent
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2007, 03:16:09 pm »

If there's one big disappointment I have with the game so far, it's in the little sister storyline being passed off as anything resembling an open-ended moral path. I read on a site recently that the choice you're given between harvesting and rescuing basically amounts to choosing between being Mother Theresa or eating babies. There's absolutely no gray area, which really sucks. The game is a lot more linear than I'd hoped.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Xbox 360 Gamers Represent
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2007, 04:01:45 pm »

Yeah definitely more linear than I hoped too but if you've got to choose between a story and open endedness Im glad they chose the story in this case.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Xbox 360 Gamers Represent
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2007, 04:07:54 pm »

Yeah, there's definitely a few trade-offs that have been made with BioShock. In exchange for open-endedness, they've gone with a really amazing story that's pushing the medium in a brand new direction. Also, in terms of difficulty, I'm kinda glad it tends toward easy, because would you rather play a scary-as-shit game that's easy or one that's really damn tough? I don't think my heart could handle all frustration of defeat combined with how often I've been startled when something scary pops up in front of me (or behind me, in the case of the dentist's office. Ho-leeeee shiiiiiit).

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Xbox 360 Gamers Represent
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2007, 04:34:23 pm »

Quote
(or behind me, in the case of the dentist's office. Ho-leeeee shiiiiiit).

so, now I am even more terrified of this game.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Xbox 360 Gamers Represent
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2007, 07:43:14 pm »

Yeah, there was one part that freaked me the fuck out.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Xbox 360 Gamers Represent
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2007, 08:16:34 pm »

I am a fan of when the light flickers and the guy disappears. in the morgue.

I have not reached that part, though, because I can only stand to play for 20 minutes at a time, and a lot of that time is spent trying to peek around corners.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Xbox 360 Gamers Represent
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2007, 08:28:31 pm »

Yeah, I'm the same way. A huge chunk of my time is spent sloooowly peeking around a corner to make sure nobody's there. But there's always somebody there. There's always goddamned something there. It's just a matter of how long it takes to show itself.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up