Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RT@achewood Would The Pet Shop Boys be nice to have over for Thanksgiving, or would they be a pain in the ass? It's really hard to tell.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Best introduction to Achewood?  (Read 6037 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Best introduction to Achewood?
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2007, 05:01:17 am »

The first one I read was just before the introduction of Showbiz.  I was linked from Cardhouse.com, a website I've been a long term reader of.

I was hooked from there.

Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Best introduction to Achewood?
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2007, 05:28:42 am »

(I ordered both sets of stickers and gave the rabbit ambulance one to an EMT friend of mine. 

That one has a special place in my heart. Tiny can. (I'm also a medic)
Logged

Bimmicus

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 32
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 186
  • Rotten Bastard
    • View Profile
    • SPLUNGE
Re: Best introduction to Achewood?
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2007, 05:47:21 am »

The first webcomic I can recall reading regularly was PvP, for which I profusely apologize. It was funny once, right? Not that I'm about to go back and find out.

Achewood was the first – and to date is still one of the few – webcomics that struck me as having ambition beyond sucking out Charles Schulz's dingleberries.
Logged
you can't spank the monkey if he's on your back

Dexter

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 119
  • Some mothers should not be turned out.
    • View Profile
Re: Best introduction to Achewood?
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2007, 01:35:20 pm »

Aw, crap.  I accidentally deleted my post in this thread.  I can't believe the board doesn't confirm whether you want to delete a post.  Oh well...
Logged
Y'all don't know what it's like, bein' male, middle-class and white.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Best introduction to Achewood?
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2007, 03:22:40 pm »

My first one was roughly in the first few weeks of the strip. I don't know where I got linked up to it, but I was hooked immediately.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Best introduction to Achewood?
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2007, 09:17:20 pm »

I think we might have discussed this before. I don't remember how I got linked, but I got hooked through the GOF.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Best introduction to Achewood?
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2007, 09:37:08 pm »

My first one was roughly in the first few weeks of the strip. I don't know where I got linked up to it, but I was hooked immediately.

I cannot remember how I got linked to it, but it was within the first couple months of the strip. However, I have always read a lot of webcomics and I think I probably followed a link from dieselsweeties, when I grow up, bobbins, goats, penny arcade, or something else?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 09:40:13 pm by linnea »
Logged

colmore

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 56
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 379
  • Sorry Mom, Sorry Dad, Sorry College
    • View Profile
Re: Best introduction to Achewood?
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2007, 06:40:44 pm »

the bathroom party is a good start, i think.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 06:55:33 pm by colmore »
Logged
In Capitalist America, bank robs you!

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Best introduction to Achewood?
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2007, 06:43:20 pm »

the bathroom party is a good start, i think.

Not sure what happened to your link but I think I fixed it. You are right - good call.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: Best introduction to Achewood?
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2007, 10:35:59 pm »

I don't remember what my first Achewood was, but I remember the strip that I used to introduce it to my English teacher. This was in November, when I was in the 12th grade. My teacher, this guy is the quintissential English teacher: 53 years old, full beard, dresses like he's at a country club, says "an historian" instead of "a historian". I think, "Well, you know, Achewood is very literary, very artsy. I think he might like it. At least, I know he won't hate it." So I show him this. This gets a chuckle. Then I show him this. I probably shouldn't have done it at lunchtime.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 08:56:39 pm by Toaster »
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Best introduction to Achewood?
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2007, 11:21:37 pm »

I don't remember what my first Achewood was, but I remember the strip that I used to introduce it to my English teacher. This was in November, when I was in the 12th grade. My teacher, this guy is the quintissential English teacher: 53 years old, full beard, dresses like he's at a country club, says "an historian" instead of "a historian".

So was he a very, very bad English teacher or was this not American English?

Also, you accidentally posted the same link twice.
Logged

IsoscelesLock

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 10
    • View Profile
Re: Best introduction to Achewood?
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2007, 12:50:44 pm »

Started here, and knew I found something special: http://achewood.com/index.php?date=05132003

And by the time I got to prank calling marmaduke I was hooked.

That said, linking to assetbar?  That's a paddlin'
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 12:55:30 pm by IsoscelesLock »
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Best introduction to Achewood?
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2007, 01:06:30 pm »

So was he a very, very bad English teacher or was this not American English?

Most of the historians I know (myself included) us "an historian" in written language, although I personally use "a historian" when speaking.  This is because the sole purpose of an historian is to train and teach younger historians, so very little about the practice and jargon of history ever changes. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Best introduction to Achewood?
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2007, 03:28:24 pm »

Now that I think of it, the prankcalling of other comic strips is probably the best way to hook people in straight from the beginning.

It's sort of the most "straight forward" funny little stretch of strips while still mostly getting the characters and the premise across.

"Kathy, have my retarded baby" is just a genius line.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Best introduction to Achewood?
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2007, 03:41:35 pm »

Two folks on the message board with Isoceles in their handle? The odds of that . . . well, let's just say this is the end-times.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up