Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Wine: Keep a red and a white on hand at all times. When choosing wines on the wine aisle, use this simple rhyme to make your selection: “Closer to the floor, is meant for the poor / closer to the lights, is more like for if Bono comes over.” -=RAY=-

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Best introduction to Achewood?  (Read 6053 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Vicrouvion

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1
    • View Profile
Best introduction to Achewood?
« on: August 24, 2007, 09:01:03 pm »

I've been an achewood fan for some time and I'm always trying to introduce people to it. My own introduction was the cartilage head storyline and this was enough to get me hooked for good; however, I've found that people sometimes don't find it quite as funny as I did my first time reading it and I'm starting to wonder if there is a strip or storyline that should come before this one in a persons experience of achewood.

I'm sure this topic must have come up before but i was unable to find a thread about it. Sorry if its a duplicate.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Best introduction to Achewood?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 09:11:56 pm »

Liquor Cabinet Taste Test, or Why Can't I Wake Up With the Gun Already in Me?

Of course, they're totally different than the Achewood groove as a whole, but fuck the plebes if they don't "get it".
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Leon

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 32
    • View Profile
Re: Best introduction to Achewood?
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 09:46:04 pm »

I was introduced to achewood by probably the worst strip for the task : http://m.assetbar.com/achewood/uua6gzQRN

Of course a good one to start them off would be : http://m.assetbar.com/achewood/uua7KD2dk

I should be very thankful if someone could help me figure out how to link to places while naming the links another thing. Thank you.
Logged
... Boned ?

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Best introduction to Achewood?
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 10:29:07 pm »

I was introduced to achewood by probably the worst strip for the task : http://m.assetbar.com/achewood/uua6gzQRN

Of course a good one to start them off would be : http://m.assetbar.com/achewood/uua7KD2dk

I should be very thankful if someone could help me figure out how to link to places while naming the links another thing. Thank you.

What's all that garbled shit in them links there? You can link directly to 'em, y'know? (yes, I know you asked about links; I mean the weird domain name or whatever the hell.)

Also, I'm leaving the misspelling. It amuses me.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Best introduction to Achewood?
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 11:05:31 pm »

Isosoceles Lock [was mine].
Logged
ACHIEVE

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Best introduction to Achewood?
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 11:20:53 pm »

I was sold on achewood the second i read the liquor cabinet test. But as far as selling other people, the GOF was so popular it crashed the servers.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

gloomba

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 9
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 63
  • One stomp and he dies . . . . 100 PTS.
    • View Profile
Re: Best introduction to Achewood?
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 11:35:30 pm »

This was the first Achewood strip I saw, and it was a somewhat puzzling introduction.  Fortunately I went back a day and found this, which pretty much sold me.  The moon storyline came up pretty soon after that.  It was a good time for Roast Beef, who is easily my favorite character.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Best introduction to Achewood?
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2007, 12:16:19 am »

Yesterday's strip (Don't Do Cocaine at Me) got Pedro's co-worker hooked.  (On Achewood, not cocaine.)  Today's garnered a response from the new reader of..."Whoa.  Does he do that a lot?" 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Best introduction to Achewood?
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2007, 01:50:18 am »

I would think anyone could relate to Furious Ding-Dong, or Señor Cash's Pee Pee (although this one might not go over as well these days).
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Best introduction to Achewood?
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2007, 02:05:19 am »

I liked the french fry saga. But Liquor Cabinet Taste Test and Worst Poker Hand Ever are good one-offs.
Logged

Bimmicus

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 32
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 186
  • Rotten Bastard
    • View Profile
    • SPLUNGE
Re: Best introduction to Achewood?
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2007, 02:29:15 am »

Beef on the Moon was my first Achewood, and I loved it pretty much immediately.

I'd recommend that those unfamilar with the strip start from the very beginning, but that's just me.
Logged
you can't spank the monkey if he's on your back

Drastic Action

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 29
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 194
  • Zounds!
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Best introduction to Achewood?
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2007, 03:46:00 am »

Without any context whatsoever, I believe the first time I typed up achewood.com, it gave me two stoned nincompoops in a volvo.  I figured the strip was just arbitrary nonsense.

For some reason, I came back, though I can't tell you which one.  But personally, I would recommend something like this.
Logged
~

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Best introduction to Achewood?
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2007, 03:54:33 am »

Point of interest: No one believes the best achewood to start with was the achewood that achewood started with. What was he thinking with that anyway.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Best introduction to Achewood?
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2007, 04:36:34 am »

I have no idea what the first one I read was. But then I went back and read all of the archives. So, I don't know.

The first ever Webcomic I read was Real Life, a one about the game Black and White. It is a pretty bad comic.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Speedy

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Best introduction to Achewood?
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2007, 06:51:51 am »

This one was the one that got me hooked on the strip - if a three panel comic strip can have me crying tears of laughter for 30 mins and still make me chuckle to this day, its gotta be good.

Edit: It also helps when an absolute comedic genius such as Jay Pinkerton (amongst others) recommends the comic, too.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 10:12:19 am by Speedy »
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up