Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Metallica would be a lot less powerful if they ended every show by reciting the ABCs.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2007/2008 Association Football Season  (Read 12470 times)

0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: 2007/2008 Association Football Season
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2007, 02:25:53 am »

imagine this, except for the stadium being pretty new and still awesome but somehow Not Good Enough, and you have the Hornets leaving Charlotte for New Orleans.

The BOBcats? WTF!?

I will say this about the Charlotte Coliseum - it was ass ugly from the outside. That salmonish color had to go.

I felt the shockwave in my house when they destructed it.
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: 2007/2008 Association Football Season
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2007, 03:44:21 am »

The BOBcats? WTF!?

Ahem. A-CAPs sports teams are nicknamed the bobcats but are actually the violets and an A-CAP athlete is a violet, not a bobcat. Ironically, the name bobcat comes from our library catalogue system called "Bobst Catalogue = BobCat." So A-CAPs teams are now not named after a flower, but a library catalogue.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 2007/2008 Association Football Season
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2007, 04:53:07 am »

the Charlotte Bobcats are named that because their main owner/investor guy is named Bob.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: 2007/2008 Association Football Season
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2007, 02:53:16 pm »

Ahem. A-CAPs sports teams are nicknamed the bobcats but are actually the violets and an A-CAP athlete is a violet, not a bobcat. Ironically, the name bobcat comes from our library catalogue system called "Bobst Catalogue = BobCat." So A-CAPs teams are now not named after a flower, but a library catalogue.

This is a lot of the reason I show up here. This is solid.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: 2007/2008 Association Football Season
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2007, 06:28:01 pm »

Melack: Thankyou for putting the time into a comprehensive yet concise explanation for me, it's much appreciated.

Also, the most-ever-expensive footballer is Zinedine Zidane, who joined Real Madrid from Juventus for £46,000,000. That's around $92,000,000 dollars, of course.

Weekend Premiership News: Liverpool fuck Derby in the arse, and are rewarded with a 6 - 0 victory.
                                        Chelsea lose! I'm grinning like a Cheshire cat.

Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: 2007/2008 Association Football Season
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2007, 07:05:49 pm »

When a football club buys a player from another club, do they inherit the contract, or negotiate a new one? Actually, now that I think about it, do teams even have contracts? Or do the clubs just own the rights to each player and negotiate a salary every year like baseball used to do until free agency came around in the 70s?

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: 2007/2008 Association Football Season
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2007, 07:51:06 pm »

When a football club buys a player from another club, do they inherit the contract, or negotiate a new one? Actually, now that I think about it, do teams even have contracts? Or do the clubs just own the rights to each player and negotiate a salary every year like baseball used to do until free agency came around in the 70s?

Contracts are solely between club and player; often, a big reason for a player to join/leave a club is due to the perceived prestigiousness of said contracts. For example, a youth player in Africa on a contract worth £90 a week is going to jump at the chance for a £10,000 contract each week as a hot prospect at some Premiership Club, no matter his strength of loyalty to his local footie team.

Also, once a player over 24 (in Europe) finishes out his contract, he can go to another team for free, so refusing to sign a new contract is a viable way of moving on for some players.

The Italians have some crazy rules involving co-owing players. I will not go there.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: 2007/2008 Association Football Season
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2007, 07:47:39 am »

Okay, now what are the rules on massive orgies? Because I think that's the one thing baseball and basketball are missing.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: 2007/2008 Association Football Season
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2008, 05:19:32 pm »

So.

This thread didn't really go so well.

Final day of the season though! So have a League Table.

                         Games   Goal Difference   Points

Code: [Select]
1  Man Utd  38  58  87
2 Chelsea 38 39 85
3 Arsenal 38 43 83
4 Liverpool 38 39 76
5 Everton 38 22 65
6 Aston Villa 38 20 60
7 Blackburn 38 2 58
8 Portsmouth 38 8 57
9 Man City 38 -8 55
10 West Ham 38 -8 49
11 Tottenham 38 5 46
12 Newcastle 38 -20 43
13 Middlesbrough 38 -10 42
14 Wigan         38 -17 40
15 Sunderland 38 -23 39
16 Bolton         38 -18 37
17 Fulham         38 -22 36
18 Reading 38 -25 36
19 Birmingham 38 -16 35
20 Derby         38 -69 11

Other winners:

Charity Shield = Chelsea
Carling Cup = Tottenham
FA Cup = Portsmouth or Cardiff
Champions League = Manchester United or Chelsea
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: 2007/2008 Association Football Season
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2008, 09:08:09 pm »

I want to hear about cheers the opposition uses when playing Arsenal.  Because that team name incorporates the seed of its own humiliation.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: 2007/2008 Association Football Season
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2008, 09:19:24 pm »

I want to hear about cheers the opposition uses when playing Arsenal.  Because that team name incorporates the seed of its own humiliation.

Funnily enough, the majority of the chants are really quite witty, in a stupid way (and often very cruel).

I'm sure you all know the famous chant "THERE'S ONLY ONE (PLAYER PLAYER)" when a set of fans are particularly enamoured or ironically displeased with a member of their team. One such player was Andy Goram. THERE'S ONLY ONE ANDY GORAM etc. Poor Mr Goram was diagnosed with a mild form of split personality disorder, and sure enough, next match:

THERE'S ONLY TWO ANDY GORAMS

Funny? No? Made me laugh like a drain anyway.

Anybody know the "The animals went in two by two" tune? The best ones are based on that, I might post them if there is sufficient interest.

(Weeps)
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: 2007/2008 Association Football Season
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2008, 10:29:07 pm »

European soccer chants are works of art. I threw my (small, but more-than-average-for-Americans) interest behind Liverpool, partially behind the strength of "You'll Never Walk Alone" as a theme.

Then there was this. You'll have to clue me in, this was done like, a year ago, right?

Not a chant, but my favorite "funny, but wrong" story was Paul Gascoigne's celebration of a goal against Celtic by miming flute-playing. The story I read it in (an Englishman trying to explain soccer culture to Americans) likened it to Mike Piazza, during his days as a Met, hitting a home run in Atlanta against the Braves and celebrating by tying two bats into the shape of a cross, planting it in the turf, and setting it on fire.
Logged

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: 2007/2008 Association Football Season
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2008, 12:39:52 am »

I like watching football more than I like watching American football. Which is to say I'm not really a huge fan of either, but I'll leave Telemundo on playing football when I'm busy doing something else, and when the announcer starts sounding really excited I'll look at the TV and watch something neat happen. I don't even care about American football that much.

Baseball is good times though. I still like that sport pretty well despite Little League bat-to-the-crotch experience.
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: 2007/2008 Association Football Season
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2008, 07:18:17 am »

Oh man, what about Robbie Fowler doing a fake line of coke off the backline.  Classic.  Plus that guy could destroy Man U.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: 2007/2008 Association Football Season
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2008, 05:38:47 pm »

Slightly less famous but equally controversial this season:

Tim Cahill, Australian player for Everton, recently had his brother jailed for an awful, awful attack on someone.

Upon scoring his next goal, in a show of solidarity to his brother, his celebration was to mime breaking out of handcuffs, before running to the corner flag and beating it up.

Classy!
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up