Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Sometimes I don't know what the fuck y'all are talking about and I'm cool with that.

Poll

Secret Beer Fairy?

Yes
- 8 (50%)
No
- 5 (31.3%)
I hate A-CAP for even suggesting this.
- 3 (18.8%)

Total Members Voted: 16


Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Beer and Community, Together.  (Read 9501 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Beer and Community, Together.
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2007, 05:57:26 am »

I was in England the first time I witnessed the beer-and-lemonade phenomenon.

It distressed me then and now. It's perfectly good beer. Drink beer. It's perfectly good lemonade. Drink lemonade.

I have the same problem with menthol cigarettes. If I <WANT> a mint, I'm sure as shit not going to SMOKE it.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Beer and Community, Together.
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2007, 10:46:18 pm »

One of the perks I have from working at a biotech is access to all the autoclave capacity I could want.  As a homebrewer, this is a very good thing, although its been less necessary since I started kegging my batches a few years back.  I'll gladly ship a few bottles of my brew to all and sundry.

Kelli, I've never brewed a Belgian - how can you tell the difference between a good Belgian and a bad (contaminated) batch?
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Beer and Community, Together.
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2007, 10:53:24 pm »


Kelli, I've never brewed a Belgian - how can you tell the difference between a good Belgian and a bad (contaminated) batch?

I have always wondered this myself. The Technical Staff drinks stuff that, from the smell alone, my reaction is that millennia of evolution are screaming DON'T PUT THIS IN YOUR MOUTH.  But he tells me that's what Belgian beer is supposed to be like.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Beer and Community, Together.
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2007, 01:20:06 am »

Oh man, both beer and gin are lovely.  But I'm not participating as we don't have fixed rate shipping up here, and it's a rare situation where I order something from the US and it's not been opened by customs for inspection.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Beer and Community, Together.
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2007, 03:27:37 am »

I would be totally down for this, but even if I fronted the cash for shipping it'd probably get confiscated or some such.
One of us needs to travel the world, visiting each TOUAMBie and passing on the hooch from one to the next.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Beer and Community, Together.
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2007, 04:03:12 am »

No shit. Word. Hey Mel, can I just come by your house and get everybody loaded?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Beer and Community, Together.
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2007, 03:46:53 pm »

No shit. Word. Hey Mel, can I just come by your house and get everybody loaded?

Yes.  But please remember cats shouldn't drink alcohol, no matter how they flirt with you.  My cats are total sluts like that.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Beer and Community, Together.
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2007, 04:02:18 pm »

Yes.  But please remember cats shouldn't drink alcohol, no matter how they flirt with you.  My cats are total sluts like that.

My kitty will do everything she can to get at a G&T.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Beer and Community, Together.
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2007, 12:25:54 am »

Your cats like to drink alcohol?? That's insane. I had no idea that any of them would do that. Crazy.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Beer and Community, Together.
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2007, 01:21:24 am »

I don't think that's correct. Even slugs are attracted to beer and my coworker was just telling me today that he thought the best thing to put in a fruit fly trap was red wine.

Oh, and this looks entertaining...

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Beer and Community, Together.
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2007, 01:38:13 am »

I've heard stories of bears seeking out fermented berries, and elephants as well (dunno what ferments in their environment, but an elephant with an angry drunk going sounds like a bad time).

Update:  Drunken elephants are a myth.

Bottom line: its hard to get enough booze into one in a short enough time.  Wouldn't happen in the wild.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Beer and Community, Together.
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2007, 01:57:08 am »

We had a small infestation of those little tiny bugs that fuck with your houseplants (I am told that it is when you have some mold from too much water) and we put a little saucer of red wine out with a fly strip above it and that thing was hella covered with those little bastids.

Also, for serious, we have to guard the gin because of little Pooey.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

kellichou

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 90
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 87
    • View Profile
Re: Beer and Community, Together.
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2007, 02:11:06 am »

Well, a lot of it depends on what you're aiming for, honestly.  :)

Although typically strong off-flavors will point to contamination:   buttered popcorn, vinegar, or anything that shouldn't be in the finished product can point to Bad Things in your beer.  As long as everything is kept reasonably aseptic from start to finish, you shouldn't have to worry.

Of course, certain yeast strains can add characteristics to the beer, but it shouldn't come as a surprise if that's the type of beer you set out to make.  Example:  many Belgian yeast strains will give those banana & clove esters, which are desirable in a Belgian beer (example:  a Wit or an Abbey/Dubbel).  And there's normal spice smells, such as those from bitter orange peel and coriander seeds. 

Also, some beers can get a "cidery" taste if you add waaay too much sugar in an attempt to spike up the alcohol %.  Typically when you follow the recipe, you'll be fine.

That's about all I know.  I know that last year, my SO and I had to get rid of a plastic primary fermenting bucket, because it was scratched, so we couldn't sanitize it properly, and so we were getting that weird "buttered popcorn" contaminant flavor in the beer. 

Kelli, I've never brewed a Belgian - how can you tell the difference between a good Belgian and a bad (contaminated) batch?
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Beer and Community, Together.
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2007, 03:03:33 am »

Hold up, is kelli linnea's twin?
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Beer and Community, Together.
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2007, 03:08:35 am »

Hold up, is kelli linnea's twin?

No, kelli is a rodent nibbling a berry. Linnea is two bread-cats. They are like opposites.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up