Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood My bicycle is parked in the living room. A tub of tartar sauce sits open on the counter. Truly, the evidence of a wife being away too long.

Poll

Secret Beer Fairy?

Yes
- 8 (50%)
No
- 5 (31.3%)
I hate A-CAP for even suggesting this.
- 3 (18.8%)

Total Members Voted: 16


Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Beer and Community, Together.  (Read 9460 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Beer and Community, Together.
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2007, 03:14:11 am »

Hold up, is kelli linnea's twin?

Dude, we have posted many photos of ourselves. Yes, we are identical twins. I'm Somebody nice. We were part of a longitudinal (14-year) twin study, and the researchers thought we were probably the "type III" twin. One egg splits and is then fertilized, so we share 75% of the same DNA. Normal siblings or fraternal twins share 50%, and identical twins share 100%.

We look really similar, but if you met us IRL you'd have no trouble telling us apart.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Beer and Community, Together.
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2007, 03:31:13 am »

Can you imagine? 199 posts off of 100,000. Jeez.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Beer and Community, Together.
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2007, 03:33:44 am »

Can you imagine? 199 posts off of 100,000. Jeez.

Hahaha... tiny can for statistics/TOUAMB imagery. Nabu, I <3 you.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Beer and Community, Together.
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2007, 02:29:46 pm »

Our cats will drink beer - I've always kept this from happening, but it is clear that they want it, as they try to taste it and will lick up spills.  But alcohol is poisonous to them, so I won't let them have it.

I had both a cat and dog growing up who loved beer.  My mom thought it was a hoot to get our cat mildly drunk.  I always thought this was questionable.

Also, our neighbour had an ornamental cherry tree and the robins would totally get drunk and rowdy off the fermented berries, stagger around our shared drive way, brawl and occasionally drunkenly fly into our window, or just pass out where ever.  It was a pretty common thing to find drunk, unconscious birds in our flower bed.  They never seems to take much interest in the berries until they fermented though.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Beer and Community, Together.
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2007, 04:05:59 pm »

It was a pretty common thing to find drunk, unconscious birds in our flower bed.  They never seems to take much interest in the berries until they fermented though.

Many animals can smell the ethanol content and interpret it as a sign of ripened fruit.  I read an article on this just yesterday, but now cannot find it.  A new theory is that the ability to smell ethanol and beat competetors to good fruit was an evolutionary step that has led to humankind's predisposition to alcoholism.
Logged
ACHIEVE

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Beer and Community, Together.
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2007, 04:23:07 pm »

Many animals can smell the ethanol content and interpret it as a sign of ripened fruit.  I read an article on this just yesterday, but now cannot find it.  A new theory is that the ability to smell ethanol and beat competetors to good fruit was an evolutionary step that has led to humankind's predisposition to alcoholism.
I think I saw the same article.  Methanol, ethanol and isopropanol are three alcohols I have in my lab.  I can easily distinguish them by smell, and the ethanol definitely smells "sweet" to me.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Beer and Community, Together.
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2007, 04:25:52 pm »

I think I saw the same article. 

The one linked to here, maybe?

I know, drinking makes you forgetful.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Beer and Community, Together.
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2007, 04:31:22 pm »

The one linked to here, maybe?

I know, drinking makes you forgetful.

Who are you? Where are my pills? Get off my lawn!
Logged

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Beer and Community, Together.
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2007, 04:38:34 pm »

Oh damn, that is bad livin'.  I was real foggy last night.  I'da swore it was somewhere else.
Logged
ACHIEVE

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Beer and Community, Together.
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2007, 04:57:12 pm »

oh, shit, I love longitudinal twin studies!


my ex's cat had some Problems due to drinking alcohol early in life.
Either that or he was just a dumb cat with no night-vision for some other reason?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Beer and Community, Together.
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2007, 05:10:44 pm »

oh, shit, I love longitudinal twin studies!

You know, I'm glad that you and I are imaginary internet friends, because if you love this sort of thing when you are your age, byt the time you are my age you are basically going to be in control of the planet.

When I was your age I basically loved bong hits, football, and Thin Lizzy. It is just now occuring to me that substituting alcohol for bong hits in that life plan may not be enough to be considered obtaining maturity.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Beer and Community, Together.
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2007, 05:43:06 pm »

because if you love this sort of thing when you are your age, byt the time you are my age you are basically going to be in control of the planet.


I dunno, it didn't exactly work out that way for me... nerdy interests instead of bong hits are not quite enough to lead to world dominance by themselves.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Beer and Community, Together.
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2007, 06:02:33 pm »

I dunno, it didn't exactly work out that way for me... nerdy interests instead of bong hits are not quite enough to lead to world dominance by themselves.

I want to break this to you as gently as I possibly can, because I love you so much . . . it may have been the rodents that held you back.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Beer and Community, Together.
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2007, 06:53:36 pm »

The penis man has always been keeping the brotherman down.

Kill penisy!
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Beer and Community, Together.
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2007, 06:55:26 pm »

Simple question about a fun beer game, next thing you know were talking about longitudinal twins (kelli is dating some dork, btw), and birds with hangovers. This thread is an example about why I love all of you.

Also, Im trying to switch from A-B to Boston Beer  Company (Sam Adams).
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up