Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: I burned my arm  (Read 6520 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
I burned my arm
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2003, 11:00:15 am »

I set fire to my face once, but apart from that, nothing as hideous as any of you guys.
I have a tendency to burn myself while cooking, but not too seriously. Occasionally I'll manage to graze my arm against the grill element, which hurts like a bastard, or just not do anything when oil is spattering my arm, and then the pain sets in later, but nothing that's scarred.
I did all those with knives when I was a dumb kid.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
I burned my arm
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2003, 03:54:55 pm »

oh, no, jough, I certainly had 3rd degrees.

3rd's better though, because it kills the nerves (that's the major difference between 2nd and 3rd), which means that as soon as it hits that 3rd degree, you don't feel no burnination happening.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
I burned my arm
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2003, 04:27:06 pm »

Yes, third degree is less painful than 2nd, but of course more damaging.  3rd degree usually means charring of some kind, meaning that you have now lost that part of your body from any kind of regeneration or healing to any practical degree.

If you got a 3rd degree burn on your fingertip, for example, you'd likely never be able to feel anything with that finger again (unless you were very very young when it happened and still growing).

Science is fun!

V-Adore

  • Guest
I burned my arm
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2003, 05:35:01 pm »

Quote from: "slink"
I set fire to my face once

Okay, I'll bite: how'd that happen?

This is really reminding me of my 10th-grade Chemistry teacher, a quasi-insane but hilarious old man who had previously been a nuclear chemist. He'd lost feeling entirely in one of his hands, so he always did his (frequently incendiary, often explosive) demonstrations with it, apparently on the premise that "if I can't feel it hurting, I probably didn't actually injure myself."

To be fair to him, he never injured himself in class. Some people are just good.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
I burned my arm
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2003, 09:02:23 pm »

Ok, once I blew all the hair off my face lighting a gas grill. But happily my face didn't catch on fire. I bet slink was doing something similar: I had the grill closed and I was trying to light it through the stupid hole in the bottom. I finally got frustrated and opened it and peered in so I could see the hole better and it lit right after I opened it, enveloping my whole head in the FOOOOMP noise and invisible but very real fireball. Very fast which is why I wasn't burned badly beyond a thin layer of ash on every skin surface and the hair gone.

The day before my brother's wedding.

The worst thing about third degree burns is smelling your own charred flesh. It's the worst smell ever.

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
I was interviewing an STD patient once who insisted his rash was because he was "frying bacon naked".

See, I don't get that as an excuse. How is admitting that you were stupid enough to fry bacon naked any less embarrassing than admitting an STD? An STD, after all, can be contracted more or less accidentally, whereas frying bacon naked is just admitting you're an idiot.

I, too, have no silly burn stories, although I once managed to (briefly) semi-set my hair on fire at a Girl Scout camp cookout. I was the world's crappiest Girl Scout, in retrospect.


Well, it's more about the SHAME of it all...he was already in the VD clinic, that's where I worked, and he had syphilis, and he knew that I was going to track down his girlfriend, wife, boyfriend and anyone else he might have been frying bacon naked WITH (or for). So he concocts the story about how he couldn't possibly have VD (and I know all of them now).

That was a FUN job!
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
I burned my arm
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2003, 09:52:05 pm »

I refuse to admit how I managed to attain the same levels of burnination of the face.
I was young and stupid, and I'm still too embarrassed by quite how retarded it was!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
I burned my arm
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2003, 09:57:17 pm »

You might say that he is still 'red in the face' about the whole thing.

Or you might not.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
I burned my arm
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2003, 09:59:43 pm »

Quote from: "slink"
I refuse to admit how I managed to attain the same levels of burnination of the face.
I was young and stupid, and I'm still too embarrassed by quite how retarded it was!


If you're concerned about looking foolish, may I direct you to this thread?
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
I burned my arm
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2003, 10:32:01 pm »

Careful with those, aloha.

You don't want to upset the master.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
I burned my arm
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2003, 10:36:52 pm »

Oh, was that a pun. Not a very good one, I guess. If only slink would tell us what happened...perhaps he fell onto a hot rack of typesetters letters.

Then he could be read in the face too.

Har.
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
I burned my arm
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2003, 11:05:58 pm »

Quote from: "jldunston"
looking foolish, may I direct you to this thread?


Oh dear.

And Aloha - Oh deary deary deary me!

OK, well, as I say, I was young and stupid.
I had, whilst stoned I might add, learnt this trick, not a very technical or impressive one, which is to fill your mouth with gas and pop it out over a flame.
Only when I did it while drunk to impress this girl, I forgot to tip my head back, so the billowing gas flame just engulfed my face.
It was just one of those instances that shows off how I can do retarded things because I just forgot to think about one little aspect first.
I might add that since then I have actually done proper fire breathing, and not damaged anything. Except my throat but that's kind of a side effect of swilling flammable chemicals.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up