Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Chris waited all day for the Comcast repair guy, and he never showed up. What is he supposed to do with this cream pie?

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Descriptivism  (Read 11995 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Descriptivism
« Reply #75 on: August 23, 2009, 08:29:51 am »

All I know is... I'm generally psychotic about spelling but am all about sacrificing grammar/sentence structure if the sacrifice allows for a better approximation of natural speech.

I don't know what that "ist" or "ism" is, though I'm fairly sure it has something to do with watching the early Linklater movies too often.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Descriptivism
« Reply #76 on: August 23, 2009, 10:37:48 pm »

but those are the good ones
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Descriptivism
« Reply #77 on: August 24, 2009, 02:07:21 pm »

Dammit, today's Dino Comics made me start thinking about this thread again. http://www.qwantz.com/index.php?comic=1537
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Descriptivism
« Reply #78 on: August 24, 2009, 06:19:53 pm »

Quote
a better approximation of natural speech.
= descriptivist.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Descriptivism
« Reply #79 on: August 25, 2009, 04:42:12 am »

i prefer the size of breast that my hand would be currently manipulating(were that the case).

Right. I used to think I had a preference when it comes to hair color, but now it's whatever color is bobbing up and down on my crotch (were that the case).
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up