Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Wombat changed her avatar back and no one noticed. Her feelings are hurt.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: for all those bluegrass-ly inclined  (Read 2974 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Beatrice

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 280
    • View Profile
for all those bluegrass-ly inclined
« on: August 28, 2007, 04:18:54 am »

i've been learning some fiddle off an awesome site.  mandolin is next.  there's lots of different instruments (harmonica, geetar, etc.) different skill levels and care is given to making sure genre-specific techniques are translated well.  listen/watch the teachers play through a song, and then watch subsequent videos where sections are broken down slowly so you can pick them up.  i'm aiming for a song a day, and the more people signing up, giving feedback, and spreading the word, the more songs i'm sure they'll post!  hooray!

musicmoose.org.  DANG TIGHT.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: for all those bluegrass-ly inclined
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 04:26:32 am »

Awesome! I love bluegrass and alternative americana (Robert Earl Keen, Son Volt, Uncle Tupelo, etc). Thanks for the link. Also, is that you in your avatar?
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: for all those bluegrass-ly inclined
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 04:45:41 am »

Hello random girl. I know banjo, harmonica, guitar, and most classical instruments. I'm currently using the university resources to learn Clawhammer style banjo, which has never been played in decades.
The best way to learn an instrument, sadly, is the scales, and then the songs. Piano, in my opinion, is the hardest to learn this way. Because it involves every damn scale.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Beatrice

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 280
    • View Profile
Re: for all those bluegrass-ly inclined
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 04:55:57 am »

yes that is me.  and disclaimer: these aren't very complicated things to be learned, but it is a nice resource.  i'm only a violin player and have become mediocre over the past few years of slacking and playing in a louisville band that took up most of my time, but this will change! i will be less drunk and more practiced.

clawhammer banjo, huh?  please, do tell!!!

Beatrice

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 280
    • View Profile
Re: for all those bluegrass-ly inclined
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 05:09:39 am »

also, are you as gawd derned adorable as this guy? now that i have internet in-house i've been watching all manner of videos to get new songs and such.  so cool.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: for all those bluegrass-ly inclined
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 05:20:00 am »

There was a regional jamband back East that was trying to fuse zydeko and klesmer.

They called it "jewgrass". I thought that was a pretty rad concept.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: for all those bluegrass-ly inclined
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 06:32:51 am »

also, are you as gawd derned adorable as this guy? now that i have internet in-house i've been watching all manner of videos to get new songs and such.  so cool.

While I guess nabu is apparently the "hunk" of this board -  I do well with the womenfolk, but in a more actual rugby player, actual firefighter, broad shouldered, muscular kind of guy. My twin is a state trooper who competes in bodybuilding, but I lean more towards the economics books and whatnot.

Clawhammer appears to have disappeared from all forms of banjo, I'm trying to get any copies of actual players so that I figure out exactly  what they all did and do digital masters of the style.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: for all those bluegrass-ly inclined
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007, 12:08:16 pm »

While I guess nabu is apparently the "hunk" of this board -  I do well with the womenfolk, but in a more actual rugby player, actual firefighter, broad shouldered, muscular kind of guy. My twin is a state trooper who competes in bodybuilding, but I lean more towards the economics books and whatnot.

Clawhammer appears to have disappeared from all forms of banjo, I'm trying to get any copies of actual players so that I figure out exactly  what they all did and do digital masters of the style.

Wait a minute! A-CAP, are you also a twin? For real? Are you guys identical or fraternal?
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: for all those bluegrass-ly inclined
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2007, 12:37:10 pm »

I hate bluegrass. Does that make me a bad person?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: for all those bluegrass-ly inclined
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2007, 01:01:13 pm »

I hate bluegrass. Does that make me a bad person?

I'd say it makes you a normal person.
Logged

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: for all those bluegrass-ly inclined
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2007, 02:02:23 pm »

There was a regional jamband back East that was trying to fuse zydeko and klesmer.

They called it "jewgrass". I thought that was a pretty rad concept.


Oyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeee!
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: for all those bluegrass-ly inclined
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2007, 02:39:43 pm »

I recently figured out that what Americans call alt-country/alternative americana all falls under what Canadains just call folk music.  I have been listenen to folk music for ages, not realizing previous converstations were about the same stuff.

I am currently writing a play about the song Oh! Susanna, and highly recommend the Be Good Tanya's version of the tune to everyone.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: for all those bluegrass-ly inclined
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2007, 04:52:53 pm »

Bluegrass is one of those things that... I like, but never listen to.

The Banjo is probably the coolest instrument ever.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: for all those bluegrass-ly inclined
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2007, 05:39:33 pm »

While I guess nabu is apparently the "hunk" of this board -  I do well with the womenfolk, but in a more actual rugby player, actual firefighter, broad shouldered, muscular kind of guy. My twin is a state trooper who competes in bodybuilding, but I lean more towards the economics books and whatnot.

Watch those quotation marks, my "friend". Anyway, I like to think of inev as the cutest (male) TOUAMBie.

I've never been the hunk of anywhere. Maybe my peer groups are just too large.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: for all those bluegrass-ly inclined
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2007, 06:57:46 pm »

Wait a minute! A-CAP, are you also a twin? For real? Are you guys identical or fraternal?

For reasons Id rather not think about, my cousin looks exactly like me.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up