Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood C:\> Get on the Night Train. || You are on the Night Train. There is an Axl Rose here.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 29 August 2007 - Kid Rock is our Sinatra  (Read 3109 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: 29 August 2007 - Kid Rock is our Sinatra
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2007, 06:25:57 pm »

The idea of people pretending to be depressed/disturbed because they think it makes them cool has always really fascinated me insofaras... y'know... actually having the anxiety is not fun at all. It is about the least cool thing about my life other than the fact that I will probably die some day.

Something that, of course, I am very anxious about.

Granted, we all try to find the good sides of even our worst problems in an attempt to claim them and control them but mental issues, even relatively mild non-psychotic ones, pretty damn well much suck.

I pass the teenagers in Hot Topic, y'know, and I wonder... do they really get what they're aping? Do they understand how awful it is to deal with what they're posing as?

This can't be because I'm Getting Old because I thought these things the same when I was a supremely-messed-up thirteen-year-old as I do now as a mostly-messed-up twenty-eight-year-old.

All of Ben Folds' best work is about this line of thinking.

Tangentally, man, Ben Folds was a lot better when only a little of his music was about how much he loves his wife and how incredibly awesome and precious his children are, wasn't he?
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Drastic Action

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 29
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 194
  • Zounds!
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: 29 August 2007 - Kid Rock is our Sinatra
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2007, 07:05:59 pm »

Yeah, he has mellowed out, but his stuff still hooks me.  It's sort of a different thing, sometimes.  He also doesn't seem diminished when playing live.
Logged
~

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: 29 August 2007 - Kid Rock is our Sinatra
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2007, 07:01:39 am »

The idea of people pretending to be depressed/disturbed because they think it makes them cool has always really fascinated me insofaras... y'know... actually having the anxiety is not fun at all. It is about the least cool thing about my life other than the fact that I will probably die some day.

Something that, of course, I am very anxious about.

Granted, we all try to find the good sides of even our worst problems in an attempt to claim them and control them but mental issues, even relatively mild non-psychotic ones, pretty damn well much suck.

I pass the teenagers in Hot Topic, y'know, and I wonder... do they really get what they're aping? Do they understand how awful it is to deal with what they're posing as?

This can't be because I'm Getting Old because I thought these things the same when I was a supremely-messed-up thirteen-year-old as I do now as a mostly-messed-up twenty-eight-year-old.

All of Ben Folds' best work is about this line of thinking.

Tangentally, man, Ben Folds was a lot better when only a little of his music was about how much he loves his wife and how incredibly awesome and precious his children are, wasn't he?

I'm old by the standards of this board and my sure-to-be unpopular opinion is that Americans are overdiagnosed and worse, over self-diagnosed. (and worse yet, often, self medicated). It's a result of a lot of factors, not the least of which are:

1) The need to have a reason for everything. Some things really do just happen.

2) The need to define 'normal' relatively narrowly and then find a term to describe everything outside of the arbitrary definition, and find a cause. And then fix it. (While simultaneously saying how great diversity is!)

3) Allowing pharmaceutical companies to aggressively market drugs, and by association, diagnoses to the public.

4) Allowing and exposing our kids to a media culture that stresses physical perfection, and presents/defines wellness too narrowly and with too much emphasis on mental and physical health. There's a lot more to wellness than that.

There are other factors too, but we'll fight about some of those. Personally, I've gone through times in my life when I was depressed and other times when I wasn't. There have been bad times and good times. I've learned about myself and how I treat other people and I've changed in some ways. At the end of the day, at the end of my life, whatever my personal idiosyncrasies are called mean nothing - there is, mainly, what I did about it (or what help I got) and how I came to become a better person because of or in spite of them.

I just hope that people don't get too hung up on their moods or those things that make them a little different from everyone else. Most of the time, you aren't different than them, it's just that you present differently. That's the diversity again. Like John Allison's T-shirt says "It is OK to be you".
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: 29 August 2007 - Kid Rock is our Sinatra
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2007, 08:38:45 am »

AD as one of the youngest guys on this board I'd say that's about right.

Which is not to say the reality and prevalence of mental illness should be played down, if anything over-diagnosis will probably lead to poorer treatment for those who are seriously affected.
Some people, in the words of Chopper Read, need to harden up.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up