Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood It's National Johnny Cash Raise Hell Awareness Saturday Night. Go out and Fuck Shit Up in a Way That You Believe In!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: 4 September 2007 - Do you fancy some Burger King?  (Read 12968 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
4 September 2007 - Do you fancy some Burger King?
« on: September 02, 2007, 06:16:00 am »

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=09042007

I rather enjoyed this strip despite being the last person in the world to have not read Harry Potter. My only excuse is that I'm an English major who's always had a pile of other books to read. (It's a flimsy excuse, I know.)

Anyways, is this the earliest Onstad has ever put up a new strip? This one's dated for Tuesday despite it currently being Saturday night here on the west coast. That motherfucker is punctual.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: 4 September 2007 - Do you fancy some Burger King?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 06:26:01 am »

I havent read harry potter 1. However, the first time through I read "Ron" as "Rod", as in, the gay actor and it made this strip more interesting because I thought harry potter was going to find out what it was like to get his can rocked.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: 4 September 2007 - Do you fancy some Burger King?
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 06:27:50 am »

I just watched boogie nights for the first time so there is a kind of synergy happening in my head.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: 4 September 2007 - Do you fancy some Burger King?
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 01:08:57 pm »

I haven't read Harry Potter either.

Is Internet cartooning one of those jobs where you really look forward to holidays like Labor Day? I can see him feeling differently about Thanksgiving and Christmas than he would for October 11th or June 25th, but does he really circle Labor Day on the calendar and say, "w00t - three day weekend there!" Seems he could make them ALL 3-day weekends if he wanted to.

Them fuckers DID make too much money.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: 4 September 2007 - Do you fancy some Burger King?
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2007, 02:16:52 pm »

Oh, how can you not love that last panel?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: 4 September 2007 - Do you fancy some Burger King?
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2007, 02:55:34 pm »

Oh, how can you not love that last panel?

I guess because I don't get it.
Logged

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: 4 September 2007 - Do you fancy some Burger King?
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2007, 03:32:47 pm »

I guess because I don't get it.

Just think of it as an allegory for The Great Gatsby. If you earn too much money, you'll just end up dead in a pool. Gunshot, laptop electrocution... it's all the same.

Bimmicus

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 32
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 186
  • Rotten Bastard
    • View Profile
    • SPLUNGE
Re: 4 September 2007 - Do you fancy some Burger King?
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2007, 04:42:56 pm »

Spot-on mimicry of J.K. Rowlings' inert, sophomoric prose style is what made this one for me.
Logged
you can't spank the monkey if he's on your back

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: 4 September 2007 - Do you fancy some Burger King?
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2007, 05:02:50 pm »

What I enjoyed was... the pointing out of the idea that after the Big Adventures and the Fabulous Prizes, you've gotta go on living and be goddamned careful what you wish for. Taking the large and rather stupid sense of good-vs-evil going on in a Harry Potter book and laying down what happened when the going gets mundane.

Anyone can talk about who and what they'd be when the going gets tough for a limited period of time, y'know?

But who we are when the going gets fuck*ng mundane is what actually defines us because, goddamn it, that's more than the balance of our lives in terms of time and space.

Much of the middle of Neil Young's career was on this topic.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: 4 September 2007 - Do you fancy some Burger King?
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2007, 08:51:16 pm »

I liked it.

Much of the middle of Neil Young's career was on this topic.

Is anyone going to see him when he tours this fall? I probably am.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: 4 September 2007 - Do you fancy some Burger King?
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2007, 08:31:17 am »

But who we are when the going gets fuck*ng mundane is what actually defines us because, goddamn it, that's more than the balance of our lives in terms of time and space.
That's good, I'm going to use that.

I'll be sure to properly cite.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: 4 September 2007 - Do you fancy some Burger King?
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2007, 05:32:35 pm »

That's good, I'm going to use that.

I'll be sure to properly cite.
What do the style guides have to say about citing internet message boards?
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: 4 September 2007 - Do you fancy some Burger King?
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2007, 06:42:31 pm »

What do the style guides have to say about citing internet message boards?
    MLA:
    Wallace, John D. “Re: 4 September 2007...”. Internet Message Board. 3 Sept. 2007. The Official Unofficial Achewood Message Board.
   3 September 2007 <www.touamb.com>.

 [author.] [“title or subject line.”] [type of post.] [posting date.] [discussion group.]
    [date of access] [<discussion group address>.]
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Beatrice

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 280
    • View Profile
Re: 4 September 2007 - Do you fancy some Burger King?
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2007, 07:33:51 pm »

I havent read harry potter 1. However, the first time through I read "Ron" as "Rod", as in, the gay actor and it made this strip more interesting because I thought harry potter was going to find out what it was like to get his can rocked.

this is EXACTLY what i thought slash imagined.  aaand I held onto that dream for at least three panels...

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: 4 September 2007 - Do you fancy some Burger King?
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2007, 07:59:35 pm »

    MLA:
    Wallace, John D. “Re: 4 September 2007...”. Internet Message Board. 3 Sept. 2007. The Official Unofficial Achewood Message Board.
   3 September 2007 <www.touamb.com>.

 [author.] [“title or subject line.”] [type of post.] [posting date.] [discussion group.]
    [date of access] [<discussion group address>.]


One of the facets of my job as a writing center tutor is to be astute about that kind of stuff. I am duly impressed.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up