Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood There are only five Wodehouse books on my special Wodehouse shelf?! As Jeeves himself might ask, "Where in the fuck are the rest of them."

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: 4 September 2007 - Do you fancy some Burger King?  (Read 12936 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bimmicus

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 32
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 186
  • Rotten Bastard
    • View Profile
    • SPLUNGE
Re: 4 September 2007 - Do you fancy some Burger King?
« Reply #60 on: September 06, 2007, 08:15:47 am »

Jeff Rowland is something of a crank, and if he's not careful he's going to end up a very bitter and unhappy old man.

That said, I love his work and would have his retarded Internet babies.

I don't loathe Questionable Content or anything, but if if I knew anyone like the characters in the strip – that is to say, people who define their outlook by the T-shirts they wear and always need to have some smug-ass remark for every conceivable occasion – I would have no choice but to hurt them badly.

PvP does get the hate, though. I finally stopped reading it when Kurtz ground out four fart jokes in as many weeks. I think I can guess how the rest of it turns out, thanks.

And on that note...

PVP is the Family Guy of internet comics.

I've little doubt that Kurtz would take that as a compliment.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 08:47:29 am by Bimmicus »
Logged
you can't spank the monkey if he's on your back

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: 4 September 2007 - Do you fancy some Burger King?
« Reply #61 on: September 06, 2007, 09:38:56 am »

I like questionable content and I even read sluggy freelance (It was bad for a long time but its picked up recently in my opinion), overcompensating is alright but I stopped reading pvp ages ago though I still read the recent one once in a while. If you're going to talk about comics that went very bad try freaking GPF. It used to be a pretty funny in a user-friendly kind of way and then it just went so terrible.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 10:17:16 am by Doc »
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Bimmicus

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 32
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 186
  • Rotten Bastard
    • View Profile
    • SPLUNGE
Re: 4 September 2007 - Do you fancy some Burger King?
« Reply #62 on: September 06, 2007, 10:06:17 am »

GPF was always terrible. It just got more terrible as time went on. I'd sooner boil my used underwear for tea than look at that strip again.
Logged
you can't spank the monkey if he's on your back

gloomba

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 9
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 63
  • One stomp and he dies . . . . 100 PTS.
    • View Profile
Re: 4 September 2007 - Do you fancy some Burger King?
« Reply #63 on: September 06, 2007, 12:18:35 pm »

Looks like I'm a little late to the creepy fetish party (as usual!), but I'd be remiss if I didn't mention body inflation.

If we're talking about crummy web comics, I wouldn't put it in the same league as stuff like PVP, but xkcd really bugs me.  Sorry if you like xkcd.  Occasionally there's a good joke, but 95% of it is just overflowing with maudlin sentimentality and pandering to nerd culture -- which, as a nerd, you'd think I'd be into, but it's just so shameless.  The web comic equivalent of someone who says "grok" all the time.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: 4 September 2007 - Do you fancy some Burger King?
« Reply #64 on: September 06, 2007, 12:21:53 pm »

I read Sluggy until my kid was born.  I didn't get online for much of anything for about three months after the blessed event so I dropped off from reading Sluggy then because I realized I didn't miss it. 

I also stopped reading Kevin and Kell at that time.  I realize now that V-Adore somewhat reminds me of the adopted hedgehog daughter who is an amazingly smart science type of student.  She and Coney (the carnivorous baby bunny) were my favorite parts of that strip. 

I never read PVP except when it appeared in PC Gamer, but that's more like watching a train wreck.  There it was, passing in front of my eyeballs, and I couldn't look away. 

Pedro likes XKCD.  I like it sometimes, but most of the time I don't quite get it.  (I was typing this as gloomba was posting, I swear we are on some kind of wavelength here.) 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: 4 September 2007 - Do you fancy some Burger King?
« Reply #65 on: September 06, 2007, 12:38:00 pm »

Sorry if you like xkcd. 

Apology accepted. I do know what you mean though, but I think the geekiness of xkcd goes to a level beyond pandering, I think he actually finds that stuff funny which is lucky for me because I do too.

Also I forgot to mention the odd fetish I found the other night. Jeans Sitting. Women sitting on guys faces in jeans.
Not that creepy or anything but again rather specific and yet strangely innocent compared to many fetishes. Women in jeans are hot, I can get behind that. Women sitting on a guys face, I can see that. But when do you realise it has to be both to really get you off.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Bimmicus

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 32
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 186
  • Rotten Bastard
    • View Profile
    • SPLUNGE
Re: 4 September 2007 - Do you fancy some Burger King?
« Reply #66 on: September 06, 2007, 01:31:29 pm »

I just can't get into XKCD. Perhaps this is because I've actually had sex once or twice.
Logged
you can't spank the monkey if he's on your back

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: 4 September 2007 - Do you fancy some Burger King?
« Reply #67 on: September 06, 2007, 01:34:57 pm »

I read Overcompensating for about 6 months because I heard so much about it I figured I just came in at a bad time or something (Snakes on a Plane era) but then I realized that it just wasn't entertaining at all.

I do like xkcd though. The Achewood parody was spot-on, and I can't help but think of the hyphen moving strip whenever I hear somebody say something like, "cool ass-car."

What I find particularly entertaining are the hentai movies where there are 2+ women, and one will get just so turned on that she grows a cock and starts fuck*ng the other women. It's just this flesh colored tube with no texture or head or anything but it is available to provide a money shot. I've seen clips of this and it's just so surreal. None of the other "characters" seem to find it odd at all.

"Japan is awesome" is what I'm trying to get across here.

Edit: fuck*ng. fuck*ng. Huh. Looks weird without the asterisk.
Logged

nDed

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 34
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 292
    • View Profile
Re: 4 September 2007 - Do you fancy some Burger King?
« Reply #68 on: September 06, 2007, 02:10:38 pm »

I don't regularly read that many webcomics aside from Achewood. PBF and Cat and Girl are others, but the former is hardly ever updated and I prefer the latter in large, infrequent doses. I have no idea why I kept reading PVP as long as I did.

I think the weird flesh colored rod cockes in hentai are due to the censorship guidelines in Japan. Why bother to make a convincing cock if it's just going to buried under a mosaic, amirite? This doesn't seem to apply to pu$$ys though.

edit: Heh heh, 'Ye Olde Cockes.'
Logged
Love never blows up and gets killed.

Drastic Action

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 29
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 194
  • Zounds!
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: 4 September 2007 - Do you fancy some Burger King?
« Reply #69 on: September 06, 2007, 05:55:56 pm »

So far, I think the comics that really keep it going are (alphabetically, because that is how I'm reading it off a list) Achewood, PA, Joe & Monkey (seriously, one of the best I've ever read and it updates every day), Something Positive, white ninja, and xkcd.  I do read a few others, but they are more hit or miss.  PBF is excellent, but updates so seldom I just cock it out every couple months.  I'd also add Rob & Elliot as well, but he hardly updates as well.

I definitely see what you mean with xkcd.  Closing parenthesis in Lisp?  Yeah, we get it!  But even the most pandering ones aren't that bad, and it has some pure genius at times.

And I agree, Sluggy was getting kind of monotonous for a while, but it's picked up lately.  I don't think I could ever stop reading it, unless all main characters died or something.
Logged
~

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 4 September 2007 - Do you fancy some Burger King?
« Reply #70 on: September 06, 2007, 06:23:10 pm »

my friend, who used to write a really hilarious webcomic, keeps talking about Isometric and how brilliant it is. Has anyone ever read it? I didn't find it humorous at all.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: 4 September 2007 - Do you fancy some Burger King?
« Reply #71 on: September 06, 2007, 06:24:19 pm »

I realize now that V-Adore somewhat reminds me of the adopted hedgehog daughter who is an amazingly smart science type of student. 

This is kind of weird, given that this was also the Gentleman Caller's conclusion when we were both reading Kevin & Kell. (Man, it's been a long time.)

I have this bad habit of just letting webcomics drop off the face of the Earth for me, so the only ones I'm still reading on a regular basis are Dinosaur Comics, xkcd, Penny Arcade, the Narbonic reruns, and Achewood. I should probably fix this, but eh.
Logged

Bimmicus

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 32
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 186
  • Rotten Bastard
    • View Profile
    • SPLUNGE
Re: 4 September 2007 - Do you fancy some Burger King?
« Reply #72 on: September 06, 2007, 08:27:42 pm »

This is kind of weird, given that this was also the Gentleman Caller's conclusion when we were both reading Kevin & Kell. (Man, it's been a long time.)

That's another one that really needs deletin'. Thanks for the reminder.
Logged
you can't spank the monkey if he's on your back
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up