Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That the second best way to sound like a noob is to ask why robot and pants are censored?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Washington Post drops 'offensive' middle east cartoon...  (Read 3399 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Washington Post drops 'offensive' middle east cartoon...
« on: September 02, 2007, 11:15:03 pm »

http://www.salon.com/comics/opus/2007/09/02/opus/index.html

I dont really get what the too offensive part is, but then again I didn't really see the offense in that allah-bombhead thing either.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Washington Post drops 'offensive' middle east cartoon...
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 11:47:43 pm »

The PC idiots win. There is nothing offensive here. The 'burqini' exists; the women is modest; the American is basically an asshole. So what, they didn't want to offend Americans? Whatever.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Washington Post drops 'offensive' middle east cartoon...
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 11:58:00 pm »

This is neither funny nor offensive as far as I can tell and I'm not sure I follow the political allegory either. 

It is very sad how pointless this whole strip is - I wish he'd stayed retired.

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Washington Post drops 'offensive' middle east cartoon...
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 12:10:20 am »

in my understanding, the whole arc is the issue, not this particular strip. I never know what I think about this kind of thing.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Washington Post drops 'offensive' middle east cartoon...
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 06:16:36 am »

Ah jeez. The burqa issue. Why did he even touch that with a ten-foot pole? I don't get the strip because I have no idea what the arc is about.
Logged

mavies

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 51
    • View Profile
Re: Washington Post drops 'offensive' middle east cartoon...
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 07:51:38 am »

That really wasn't worth reading. I can't see how it's offensive at all. But then I guess most cartoonists and editors don't want to cause riots and be burnt in effigy so won't do anything that stands even the remotest chance of pissing off the muslims.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Washington Post drops 'offensive' middle east cartoon...
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2007, 08:37:18 am »

There's an interesting post over on Websnark pointing out that the washington post are the people who actually own the syndicate that run Opus and so the decision to pull it might have been a bit of a publicity stunt.
I'm normally against conspiracy theories (for all that I love them) but I'm leaning towards it in this case because, damn, that is neither funny nor offensive.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Washington Post drops 'offensive' middle east cartoon...
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2007, 01:04:03 pm »

Opus, as I see it, is basically the least funny characters from Bloom County, along with some new replacement characters? Does that pretty much sum it up?

I know Breathed's idea was that he would be a bit more experimental with Opus than he could be with Bloom County, but man.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Washington Post drops 'offensive' middle east cartoon...
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2007, 04:23:08 pm »

Lame. Lame cartoon. Lame overreaction.

I'm just looking forward to the point when we are all in little bubbles connected to the internet and that is the only way we interact with the world, and we can all set our interfaces to auto-delete anything we find offensive before our precious, delicate sensibilities get offended.

Man I like the prefix 'inter'.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Washington Post drops 'offensive' middle east cartoon...
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2007, 08:06:17 pm »

Me too... that shit's gonna be great.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Washington Post drops 'offensive' middle east cartoon...
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2007, 02:48:19 am »

Up to the point where some dickwad decides that other people shouldn't be looking at something they deem offensive (NB: This will happen five femtoseconds after such a filter exists)
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Washington Post drops 'offensive' middle east cartoon...
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2007, 02:54:19 am »

The Post used to constantly pull The Boondocks for weeks at a time for no apparent reason. There would just be a little line stating they wouldn't be running it and the link lead to the previous Sunday's strip. There was never an explanation or a qualification for what the fuck "offensive" means.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Washington Post drops 'offensive' middle east cartoon...
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2007, 03:40:28 am »

"Offensive" in cartoons usually means "hits too close to home for the average white person."  Also, if we can't make fun of muslims, then truly the terrorists have won.  No one is above ridicule.  It's the American Way.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Washington Post drops 'offensive' middle east cartoon...
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2007, 01:24:54 pm »

"Offensive" in cartoons usually means "hits too close to home for the average white person."  Also, if we can't make fun of muslims, then truly the terrorists have won.  No one is above ridicule.  It's the American Way.

I'm much more offended when newspapers make shit up. Did the guy actually say, "expletive deleted"? No? Then don't fuck*ng print it inside quotation marks you god damned moron!
Logged

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely
Re: Washington Post drops 'offensive' middle east cartoon...
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2007, 01:43:04 pm »

If that's the most offensive kind of making shit up your newspapers do I'm getting a raw deal.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up