Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Have some dignity.

Poll

How does this word strike you

Pretentious.
Juvenile.
Useful.
Neat.
Perfectly cromulent.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Grok  (Read 8561 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Grok
« on: September 03, 2007, 04:44:50 am »

Man, somebody just used this word on me (in a way). It's been a while since I heard it, but it just always struck me like . . . I don't know, like don't we have enough words in our language? And doesn't it just mean 'get' or 'understand'? Does anyone here use it? Don't be embarassed to answer; I mean, I'm an idiot. What does my opinion count for?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Grok
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 05:05:05 am »

I've used "grok" in conversation before but not often.

Pretty much, man, I think it means more than "get" or "understand"... there's a level of affection to it, more than just knowing, there's something like love involved as well.

Female Star Trek fans would wear shirts that said "I Grok Spock".

This is the level on which I understand "grok".
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Grok
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 07:19:58 am »

It's a Heinlein-ism.  It basically means to comprehend fully.

In other words, when one of us uses it, the phrase "I can't grok it" means "I do not fully understand it, but I read Heinlein so I'm obviously pretty smart."
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

mavies

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 51
    • View Profile
Re: Grok
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 07:49:02 am »

I used it once or twice after I read the book, then stopped when I realised no one else was grokking it at all. It's a pretty nifty word in a way, I guess it kind of encapsulates (another nifty word!) all different kinds of understanding.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Grok
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 08:40:33 am »

I never used it but I like it in that it means complete understanding, much deeper than the superficial 'get'.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Grok
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 02:07:01 pm »

Yeah, I understand what it's supposed to mean, and where it comes from. I'll be pretentious and let y'all know I read it when I was 13. I'm just saying that if the language needed 'grok', it wouldn't have waited till the 60s to come up with it. I mean, I find that 'understand' or 'get' conveys everything I need to say most of the time, and the rest of the time I can modify with 'really'.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Grok
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2007, 02:27:34 pm »

I was listening to an interview from the NPR show Fresh Air the other day and one of the two guys she was interviewing used it, and the other one teased him mercilessly.  He insisted it was a cool word because Steve Jobs used it.

Damn, I'll bet this story would make a lot more sense if I could remember who it was... hmm, I think it was two guys who made the movie Ratatouille.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Grok
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2007, 02:55:26 pm »

For background, I had a friend who used this word a lot, and I had to drop him. Knew him for 30 years, too. It's just that in order to use it, he had to fuck*ng shoehorn it into a sentence. It's just so jarring.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Grok
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2007, 03:30:29 pm »

I used it in conversation once, then said "did I just say grok?  What does that even mean?"  The other person didn't know.  Also, as applied above, I was using it totally wrong - I was using it to refer to the gross gunk and schlock that washing up on the river bank in the city.  I was using it as a conjunction of those words.  I think I said "all that grok and sludge."
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Grok
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2007, 04:24:39 pm »

For background, I had a friend who used this word a lot, and I had to drop him. Knew him for 30 years, too. It's just that in order to use it, he had to fuck*ng shoehorn it into a sentence. It's just so jarring.

Did you know that nabu once interrupted coitus completely because the woman made a grok sound? He burned her village of orphans and used the ashes in a lubricant jelly.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Grok
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2007, 04:34:52 pm »

Did you know that nabu once interrupted coitus completely because the woman made a grok sound? He burned her village of orphans and used the ashes in a lubricant jelly.

I was tough but fair. It had to be done. It was necessary to burn the village in order to save it.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Grok
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2007, 06:22:54 pm »

...I'm just saying that if the language needed 'grok', it wouldn't have waited till the 60s to come up with it.

I'm pretty sure "unibrow" didn't show up until the 90's, and it is completely indispensable.

(But don't say grok, that's lame.)
Logged

gloomba

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 9
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 63
  • One stomp and he dies . . . . 100 PTS.
    • View Profile
Re: Grok
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2007, 06:36:31 pm »

I'm with Nabu.  It's unnecessary and irritating and is basically only used to call attention to how cool/smart/worldly the person is for having read Heinlein, in social circles where that's the sort of thing that's considered cool.  I know some people who say it, and I always have to suppress the urge to roll my eyes or to vomit.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Grok
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2007, 06:48:35 pm »

i would like to think that I am at an age/of a generation that... I am the only person who has read that book.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Grok
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2007, 07:39:18 pm »

I have heard it, and think it's kind of lame. 

I agree with Nabu that we already have words that do this.  Memo to Science Fiction Authors: Do Not Make Up Slang. 

Then again, William Gibson invented all kinds of words for things that didn't exist at the time, but that we now use in everyday life.  Words like...cyberspace.  But I don't think prescription drug abuse will ever be called "doing hexagons."  So I guess you win some, you lose some in that arena. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up