Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I am composing a tone poem about eagles, lawnmowers, and Ted Nugent. It is composed only of the sounds of those things.

Poll

How does this word strike you

Pretentious.
Juvenile.
Useful.
Neat.
Perfectly cromulent.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Grok  (Read 8567 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Grok
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2007, 08:07:06 pm »

I'm down with quijybo, cromulent, and grelicious, though.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Grok
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2007, 10:00:13 pm »

I like using "Brazillian" as a numerical value.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Grok
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2007, 10:42:28 pm »

I have heard it, and think it's kind of lame. 

I agree with Nabu that we already have words that do this.  Memo to Science Fiction Authors: Do Not Make Up Slang. 

Then again, William Gibson invented all kinds of words for things that didn't exist at the time, but that we now use in everyday life.  Words like...cyberspace.  But I don't think prescription drug abuse will ever be called "doing hexagons."  So I guess you win some, you lose some in that arena. 

Man, I wish I could score some derms. I'm gonna need some when I get my coveted laser skin resurfacing for my cute little mug.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Grok
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2007, 10:58:53 pm »

A good friend of mine is an aspiring science-fiction novelist and...

His stuff isn't amazing but it's solid. A little redundant but sturdy superhero-meets-space-military-fiction kinda stuff.

...but he just loves making up sciencefiction words for stuff. And it's often very distracting.

I think the key is:

If there is no word for the thing you have envisioned, go wild and make up a word.

If there is a plain-English term that works for something, for Christ's sake, use that.

Do not make up stuff just to make it up.

Creating new words for lengths of measure and time and so on is not necessary at all.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Grok
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2007, 11:18:43 pm »

Well, and grok is a Martian word. Hey, Bobby - I don't speak Martian. Don't give me a few words in Martian to give me the 'feel'. Write the whole book in Martian if it's so goddamn important.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Grok
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2007, 11:54:55 pm »

I like using "Brazillian" as a numerical value.
For me, its Texas. As in, "A-CAP costs something like $TEXAS per semester, and they still dont give us toilet paper"
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: Grok
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2007, 12:10:26 am »

The existence of "grok" within Stranger In A Strange Land is fine insofar as the book presupposes that there is a level of spiritual comprehension and understanding heretofore undiscovered by humanity and therefore not adequately described by any existing words.

However, taken in that way, it is as accurate to say "I really grokked what the author was saying" as "I really injected what the author was saying". It's a word that describes an activity other than what you actually did, which was understand.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Grok
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2007, 01:49:35 am »

The existence of "grok" within Stranger In A Strange Land is fine insofar as the book presupposes that there is a level of spiritual comprehension and understanding heretofore undiscovered by humanity and therefore not adequately described by any existing words.

However, taken in that way, it is as accurate to say "I really grokked what the author was saying" as "I really injected what the author was saying". It's a word that describes an activity other than what you actually did, which was understand.

Nice. I should have just had you look at my thread before I posted it. You clearly gro . . . sorry.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Grok
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2007, 02:45:43 am »

Why are we of all people criticising a word for being unnecessary though? I don't like the idea of a purely functional language. Although some of you might think this is a double-plus-good thing.
Using words like grok doesn't just communicate what the word means it implies a shared background and understanding, which can often be very wanky yes but it is still an additional layer of meaning.

I'm with you on making up sci fi terms too much though. The intro to Nightfall summed it up pretty nicely by saying that it was going to use terms like cars, miles and computers on the understanding that this was an alien planet that had nothing like our cars, miles and computers but it was better than making up gibberish. Asimov is the Man. (Silverberg isn't so bad either).
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Grok
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2007, 02:48:47 am »

last post in: grok by doc

It made me laugh, and here I go ruining it for everyone else. 

Also: Asimov, yes. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Grok
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2007, 02:59:49 am »

I think I've been hearing "grok" more and more from fellow geeks, and it always sounds a little jarring to me.  It takes me out of the movie.

Also, I dated a girl in college who used to refer to our lives in terms of a movie, like every time we interacted it had to be a "scene."  I was her leading man, etc., but then she started fuck*ng the director and just took the whole film to a different plane of reality.

Anyway, yeah, grok is pretentious.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Grok
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2007, 03:05:21 am »

I think I've been hearing "grok" more and more from fellow geeks, and it always sounds a little jarring to me.  It takes me out of the movie.

Also, I dated a girl in college who used to refer to our lives in terms of a movie, like every time we interacted it had to be a "scene."  I was her leading man, etc., but then she started fuck*ng the director and just took the whole film to a different plane of reality.

Damaged goods, man.  That is freakish.  Have you ever dated a normal girl?  That I would put on par with "I look human but I am really a vampire." 

Alternate realities are never a good sign in a romantic partner. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Grok
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2007, 03:26:35 am »

I like the ones who can dissociate from reality.  It helps prevent (further) emotional scarring from the violent sexxin'.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Grok
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2007, 03:59:32 am »

yeah, totally. I only date insane chicks.

Now I am going to start insinuating that this is due to plan instead of accident of nature.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: Grok
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2007, 05:08:20 am »

What does it mean to be fuck*ng the director in the context of thinking life is a movie? The only options I can think of are "conspiracy nut doing it with a Freemason Grand Master" or "Mary".
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up