Ovarian cysts SUCK. Are they "functional cysts", or does the doctor not know? I had one assholish, patronizing doctor try to tell me that my ruptured ovarian cysts (vomiting, extreme pain, unable to move) were somehow normal. He explained to me that your ovaries make at least a new cyst every month as part of the normal ovulation process - an egg ripens, it moves to the surface, the cyst ruptures (mittelschmerz is the pain that some women feel during ovulation), and the ova/ovum get kicked into the fallopian tube. No shit, Sherlock - I've been menstruating normally since around age 10 and I know when something is wrong. Especially unexplained acute abdominal pain that feels like a ruptured appendix, which is how it feels when you've got a ruptured ovarian cyst.
I have had cysts rupture on 3 occasions but only was able to seek medical attention for the last one, which is when I had an abnormally large, 5-10cc cyst that ruptured. They didn't seem too concerned about it, but I've never felt pain like that in my life. After the constant vomiting they had to give me about 3 liters of IV fluids. They don't give you anything for pain in the ER, though (at least, they wouldn't give me jack shit for pain management when I was there). Fuckers. When I was released they gave me some Vicodin which I never took because it makes me queasy.
Anyway, I've never tried the NuvaRing, but all the women I know who've tried it just love it. I would not want to put it in there, but some women are okay with that. Do you leave it in during sex? I had the shot (Depo Provera) which fucked with my mood so horribly that I would not recommend it to anyone. A friend of mind has an IUD and likes it. I'm not sure what kind of birth control I will get on once I'm in a relationship, but I'll probably go back to oral contraceptives again.
Also, if your period is late for no apparent reason, you can get some
Raspberry Leaf Tea (that is the kind they sell at the grocery store. You can buy it far cheaper if you buy the loose herb at the health food store). Brew a really strong cup with 3 teabags, cover the cup, and let it steep for about 20 minutes. Adding ginger really helps too, but be forewarned if you
get this shit because you'll be tempted to suck it out of the jar because it's so delicious. From what I can tell, the raspberry leaf helps strengthen and tone your uterine muscles?
I've been thinking very seriously about getting an IUD if the SO won't get a vasectomy, but I hear the period related pain and bleeding is much worse... so I don't know. I basically don't want to be on the pill anymore and don't know what to do. There are so few ladies on the board... I doubt even a genearl consensus among all of us is all that relevant.
I know a lady who has the copper IUD with the small amount of progesterone, and she does not have a period at all. She has never had a child, but in rural AK the doc there wouldn't give me an IUD because I'd never had a kid. I guess they weren't very experienced with installing IUDs in women who'd never had kids. In any large city they should be able to do it, though.