Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood My bicycle is parked in the living room. A tub of tartar sauce sits open on the counter. Truly, the evidence of a wife being away too long.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WHAT THE HELL PEOPLE  (Read 15627 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: WHAT THE HELL PEOPLE
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2007, 07:27:51 am »

i had a really awkward conversation with a certain lady earlier about how her ex was pretty into being... what one sometimes hears called a "South Park Republican." I would like to think that, while I am sometimes ignorant or naive about race issues, women's issues, etc, I am at least aware enough of myself to recognize this when it is pointed out to me. She basically said that she avoided having serious conversations with him because she didn't want to be "that girlfriend," meaning, you know, the naggy liberal girlfriend who can't just let the man think he's right. This made me cry a little bit for our society.

this is a guy who got mad at her for not wanting to take the Boston metro (the L?) by herself when she'd never been to Boston before, though. So, you know, the conversation was mostly awkward because I was resisting saying "that guy was a complete asshole and you should never have dated him. date me, please." I think I got that across sufficiently through eye-rolling and sarcastic comments, though.

Anyway, yeah. I feel like sometimes a radically different way of viewing these issues can be a dealbreaker. Especially when, you know, one side is basically just being ignorant and Straight Well-Educated White Male about the whole thing. Yes, I realize that this on some level contradicts something I said earlier today.

PS Paul, I really like how it was OK to save the picture of makeouts to your harddrive, and to tell us this, but not to repost. Internet ethics are so fun.
When/if my friends run for political office in the future, they will de-tag the pictures of them playing Beer Pong in hula skirts which will still be on facebook. Most of them are smart enough to have already done this. However, I will still have them on my harddrive. Yippee!
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: WHAT THE HELL PEOPLE
« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2007, 08:14:10 am »

..."that guy was a complete asshole and you should never have dated him. date me, please." I think I got that across sufficiently through eye-rolling and sarcastic comments, though...

Can'd.

Also, does this work for you? Because it sure don't for me.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: WHAT THE HELL PEOPLE
« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2007, 08:32:55 am »

dude, if it worked for me, I would not be posting on this board.

or, you know, I would post once, and it would be a picture of me making out instead of posting on the board.

(clarification: I will not post such a picture. that would he a horrible idea.)
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: WHAT THE HELL PEOPLE
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2007, 01:29:28 pm »

Threadjack:

What is up with Boston natives and the assumption that the T is totally intuitive? Does the pleasing octothorpe shape fool them? Ever since I first came to the city, the Gentleman Caller has been trying to convince me that I can just take it on my own, and I keep explaining that, no, that's not going to work for me. Sigh.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: WHAT THE HELL PEOPLE
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2007, 03:08:20 pm »

What's even funnier is New York City types who say the same thing about the subway there.

"Yeah, if you get confused, there's a map on the wall at the station! Easy!"

Yeeeeeeeah. Easy.

All I'm saying, Manhattan, is that if you're going to pin me into a hurtling sardine can filled with lepers and urine puddles, at least let me know where I'm going.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: WHAT THE HELL PEOPLE
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2007, 03:26:23 pm »

My only experience with the subway is in London and it's easy peasy.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: WHAT THE HELL PEOPLE
« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2007, 04:00:51 pm »

yeah. the enraging thing was that... it didn't really occur to him that there would be any reason that she, as a small, cute, 18 year old girl, would not want to be on the subway by herself in a new city. also: that there would be any reason that, you know, if your ex-girlfriend comes across the US to visit you when you aren't even technically dating anymore (and the reason you aren't dating is because you want some ass on the side and don't want things to be "awkward"), it would be a nice move to come pick her up at the airport. INSTEAD OF GOING TO LUNCH WITH THE GIRL YOU ARE fuck*ng, ASSHOLE.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: WHAT THE HELL PEOPLE
« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2007, 05:00:26 pm »

Well, to be fair, if he refers to himself as the boyfriend of the new girlfriend in the new girlfriend's presence...

No, of course you don't pick up your recent ex-girlfriend. Because she is your ex-girlfriend.

You are not supposed to be overly friendly with your recent ex-girlfriends, out of respect to your new girlfriend, so that she doesn't think you're just trying to fuck the both of them.

This is probably not the whole story, of course, but once you and someone are broken up, it is definitely not your responsibility to pick him or her up at the airport. Because... y'know... that's what people who are dating do for each other.

If it is five years down the road and the girls are friendly with each other and the wounds are actually kinda healed, that is another thing. However, your current lady had better go WITH you when you pick her up. And, also, no matter how friendly they are, your current lady will definitely be holding your hand the whole time as if to say:

"Yeah, we're giving you a lift, but he's mine now, bitch."

This is just how it works. You are most responsible to the girl you're actually dating. Or even just fuck*ng on the side.

I am completely with you on "South Park Republicans" though.

I have many conservative friends and we happily agree to disagree on all sorts of matters but... yeah... even they say that if someone says to them that they are a "South Park Republican" they know that they are dealing with someone at best unprincipled politically and at worst someone who flat-out doesn't know what the fuck they're talking about.

It is fine to believe in what you believe in, whatever you believe in, as long as you don't hurt nobody and you're coherent about it.

But the whole South Park Republican... thing... is just completely incoherent when you pick it up and look at it.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: WHAT THE HELL PEOPLE
« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2007, 07:57:36 pm »

What's even funnier is New York City types who say the same thing about the subway there.

"Yeah, if you get confused, there's a map on the wall at the station! Easy!"

Yeeeeeeeah. Easy.

All I'm saying, Manhattan, is that if you're going to pin me into a hurtling sardine can filled with lepers and urine puddles, at least let me know where I'm going.

Dude, theres a giant map on the wall, theres a more specific map on every support pillar, there's a person sitting in a booth, theres giant signs every 6 feet telling you what lines are coming, and now theyre adding electronic audio announcements to tell you how many minutes away the train is. hopstop.com will even give you foot by foot directions on what to do. What more do you want?
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: WHAT THE HELL PEOPLE
« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2007, 08:00:40 pm »

I called you a douche ONCE, because you were hitting on my sister while drunk. Also, after my engagement to Crap Dude, I will never date another conservative again. Sorry.
Look people, im not a "conservative" im a libertarian. This just means I don't like government watching me take a pee or stealing my money.
This philosophy still leaves room in my heart to treat you right, baby.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: WHAT THE HELL PEOPLE
« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2007, 08:10:23 pm »

no, but, see, he was not dating this other girl. he was calling the first girl up and being like "I miss you so much" and then fuck*ng the second girl. And then telling the first girl about it.

I feel like, as a dude, it is your duty to go pick up a female friend who is visiting you. Doubly so if you are planning on makeouts with her.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: WHAT THE HELL PEOPLE
« Reply #56 on: October 01, 2007, 08:51:35 pm »

This just means I don't like government watching me take a pee or stealing my money.
QFT & amen, brother.  We're much better neighbors than conservatives too.  Fortunately for the softie-socialists and the deep-pocket conservatives we're completely powerless as a voting block.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: WHAT THE HELL PEOPLE
« Reply #57 on: October 01, 2007, 10:22:22 pm »

Quote from: A-CAP
What more do you want?

I want to be able to drive the train myself so that I actually know where the hell I'm going. No more, no less.

Also, less urine and less beggars making me feel less like that scene in "Jesus Christ Superstar" where A Dude can't cure everyone.

I want to give each of you a dollar but fuck, man, I ain't got that many dollars myself.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: WHAT THE HELL PEOPLE
« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2007, 04:03:45 am »

London's Tube system is awesome.  There's a clear map, and all the lines are color coded, and they SAY WHERE THEY ARE GOING.

I haven't experienced NYC's, but I found getting around in Paris easier than Boston's subway.  I don't even speak French.

Paris' subway stench could be the stuff of legends, though.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: WHAT THE HELL PEOPLE
« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2007, 04:50:20 am »

Paris' subway stench could be the stuff of legends, though.

Is it rubbish and vomit and stuff? Or worse? I've never been there. In college and high school kids used to bitch about how disgusting it was to enter cafes and other places in France in the summertime because of the smell of human body odour. This is a really stupid and ignorant question, but is it true that many folks in France don't wear deodorant? I'm sure that the vast majority of the world's 6.6 billion people do not...
Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up