Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Established 2003
TOUAMB: Wandering off topic since the early 21st Century

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Terrible rate plan w/ Cingular plus recycled phone number bullshit  (Read 11455 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Terrible rate plan w/ Cingular plus recycled phone number bullshit
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2007, 12:41:46 am »

I love my cellphone. I mean, actually, I love the concept of my cell phone. Except that we have horrible service here, and my phone is really quiet no matter how high I put the volume.

one time I got a threatening answering machine message in a thick southern accent to the effect of "tammy! pick up the phone! I know you're there!"

So, did you know the guy?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Terrible rate plan w/ Cingular plus recycled phone number bullshit
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2007, 12:53:24 am »

yeah, that was the awkward part. He thought he had called his girlfriend? apparently they do a really weird thing where they roleplay some really nasty non-consensual shit.

but no, I didn't know the guy.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Terrible rate plan w/ Cingular plus recycled phone number bullshit
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2007, 01:07:26 am »

Whoa...hot.  Tell us mooooore.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Terrible rate plan w/ Cingular plus recycled phone number bullshit
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2007, 01:09:40 am »

oh, no, I was kidding. I have no idea who it was or what was going on.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Terrible rate plan w/ Cingular plus recycled phone number bullshit
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2007, 01:40:25 am »

For Goodness sake, make some more up then!
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Terrible rate plan w/ Cingular plus recycled phone number bullshit
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2007, 02:07:44 am »

but no, I didn't know the guy.

Ha ha. Right.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Re: Terrible rate plan w/ Cingular plus recycled phone number bullshit
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2007, 03:41:01 am »

Boo to cellphones.  Boo.

Full disclosure:  I draw bi-weekly paychecks from one of the big cell-phone companies.  That said, I got my first cell phone in 2000 and kept the same phone until just this spring, when I upgraded to a Treo.  Besides the fact that having a cell phone pretty much eliminates my need for a land line, Google Maps on the Treo is pretty much my favorite thing ever.  I can't imagine traveling without it now.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Terrible rate plan w/ Cingular plus recycled phone number bullshit
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2007, 03:49:49 am »

Yeah, I've never had a "smartphone" before and am loving the iPhone - looking up where an address is in a neighbourhood to which I've never been before is amazing.  I'd have to call someone or have contact with other humans otherwise.

Basically the iPhone is like a sexy mistress that you can bonk when you want and not have to listen to her problems.  It's all the good and none of the bad, is all I'm saying.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Terrible rate plan w/ Cingular plus recycled phone number bullshit
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2007, 04:36:52 am »

Quote
Quote from: theinevitable on Today at 07:53:24 PM
but no, I didn't know the guy.

Ha ha. Right.

yesterday I saw a guy from my highschool who I hadn't seen in a few years. Apparently he was visiting a friend at WashU.

also, A-CAP is going to try to meet my friend when he visits his girlfriend who goes to the same college. She will be creeped out by him, I'm sure.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Terrible rate plan w/ Cingular plus recycled phone number bullshit
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2007, 04:40:21 am »

also, A-CAP is going to try to meet my friend when he visits his girlfriend who goes to the same college. She will be creeped out by him, I'm sure.

Ill try my best. Maybe an easter basket filled with live crawgiraffe and condom wrappers?
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Terrible rate plan w/ Cingular plus recycled phone number bullshit
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2007, 02:39:47 pm »

My son is now 11.  Half of me believes that 11 is far too young to have a phone.   The other half of me feels that with my job, this is a resource like water.   I built and run the network.  Why the hell don't each of my cats have a cellphone?

Have you thought about a Firefly or whatever the hell it's called?  One of those phones where the kid can only call one of four preprogrammed numbers plus 911? 

I love this idea and fully intend to get one for Little P when he's old enough not to lose the hell out of it. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Terrible rate plan w/ Cingular plus recycled phone number bullshit
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2007, 02:59:22 pm »

Yea, I like the concept, those are GSM only though (T-Mobile, and Cingular) I'd need a CDMA handset (Sprint/Verizon/US Cellular/Alltel/Cricket).

What I might do, is on a lot of phones you can restrict them to 911, and what's in the phone book, on both incoming and outgoing calls.  So I might grab one of the couple hundred floating around my office, and "fix" it.

The cats are going to want something top of the line.   They're going to want iPhones, or the new Motorola Q.   Really though, all these PDAs, what do they have to keep track of?  11:00am - Nap.  11:15am - Run to the Other side of the House, and so on.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Terrible rate plan w/ Cingular plus recycled phone number bullshit
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2007, 03:11:31 pm »

Careful, Smick.  That might be what you think now.  Get them cell phones and the next thing you know they'll be running an Amway distributorship when you're not home and bitching about their lazy downlines.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Terrible rate plan w/ Cingular plus recycled phone number bullshit
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2007, 10:04:00 pm »

Yea, I like the concept, those are GSM only though (T-Mobile, and Cingular) I'd need a CDMA handset (Sprint/Verizon/US Cellular/Alltel/Cricket).

Verizon has the LG Migo. 

I couldn't remember what it was called before, but I played with it in the store when I did my New Every Two and it seemed pretty neat.  You can restrict incoming calls on those, as well. 

If you restrict a regular phone to 911 + phonebook calls, wouldn't your kid just add people to his phonebook like crazy?  I mean, I assume the idea is that you wouldn't want him calling buddies and running up a bill, or using the cell to circumvent telephone curfews.  Which is exactly what I would have done as an older kid/young teen.  But then, he's a boy, and I get the idea they aren't as crazy about being on the phone all the time as girls.  (Pedro was but he is the exception to many rules.) 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Terrible rate plan w/ Cingular plus recycled phone number bullshit
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2007, 10:11:33 pm »

Well, yea, but when you lock the phone, it all restricts the ability to enter more numbers into the phone book.  Per minute charges aren't too much of a worry for me.  The account wouldn't be metered, except for LD, which is a "bucket" of minutes.   
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up