Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Do you love saying "Canadian bacon"?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Chicken allergies (10-17-03)  (Read 4988 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Chicken allergies (10-17-03)
« on: October 17, 2003, 01:51:44 pm »

Somebody find out if it really is possible to be allergic to chicken. JL, I'm looking in your direction.

Strip.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 10:58:02 am by Nabubrush »
Logged

PinkStainlessTail

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 269
    • View Profile
    • http://horsmanistan.blogspot.com/
Chicken allergies-Oct 17
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2003, 02:16:50 pm »

Maybe he could eat Mock Chicken.

(No, it's not some wacky vegan thing. It's worse. WHAT IS GOING ON, CANADA?)

Oh and chicken/egg allergies are semi-common. The topic comes up a lot this time of year, because the flu vaccine is egg based or something.
Logged
"Plush. Rabid. Festering. Pulchritude. Eschew!"

"That may be the worst cheer ever."
-The University of Universal Understanding, S. Aldred

V-Adore

  • Guest
Chicken allergies-Oct 17
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2003, 03:11:15 pm »

Best visual detail of the strip: the slow darkening of the background as Beef goes on.

Best character detail: Beef waiting a few seconds to hang up the phone.

Priceless.
Logged

bluebird_of_unhappiness

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 48
    • View Profile
Chicken allergies-Oct 17
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2003, 04:09:04 pm »

The alt-text is also priceless.

'The music was perfect: it was Classical'
Logged
Who is fat?  Me (I am).

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Chicken allergies-Oct 17
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2003, 04:49:36 pm »

What I like is that Beef's story does absolutely nothing to back up his claim. If the Bubble Boy killed himself right after eating the chicken that wouldn't really leave time for a reaction.

And only Ray would even think of falling for "I'm getting kind of allergic." He's no really allergic, just kind of. And he's not even the whole way to kind of, just approaching kind of.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Chicken allergies-Oct 17
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2003, 08:24:07 pm »

Chicken meat allergies are rare, although chicken egg allergies are common, as surely must be the desire for something pizza-related when someone offers you some dumb old chicken.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Chicken allergies-Oct 17
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2003, 08:36:14 pm »

Rice is about the only thing that no one's allergic to.

Just FYI when dealing with a picky eater.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Chicken allergies-Oct 17
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2003, 08:41:34 pm »

I'm guessing nobody's allergic to water either.

I'm all about some pizza rolls for a late night snack but that was some tasty looking chicken. If I was a cartoon I'd totally have had some of that.

Weird ass thought of the day: Ray is supposed to be roughly normal cat size. Yet the chicken was in proportion to a human. Does the underground raise tiny chickens? Was it a cornish game hen (baby chicken)? Has the underground perfected Shrink Ray Technology*? It's not easy living inside my head.

*There's a pun available here. It is totally unintentional, I assure you.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Chicken allergies-Oct 17
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2003, 08:42:56 pm »

I like the visual of the bubble be being slowly suffocated by the bubble while the doctors who gave him the fatal Yakitori skewer look on. With classical music playing in the background.

Interesting to imagine how that would work, though - the air pressure outside the bubble (or the respiration of the bubble boy)(or both) would have to be (significantly) higher then the air that held the bubble up in order to suffocate him.

It would be fascinating to try in a practical way. Does anyone know a bubble boy? Better yet, can we stuff John Travolta back into his Plastic Bubble and try it?
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Chicken allergies-Oct 17
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2003, 10:29:38 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
I'm guessing nobody's allergic to water either.


Just Elphaba (excellent reading, by the way)
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Chicken allergies-Oct 17
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2003, 02:35:49 am »

Quote from: "Choopernickel"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
I'm guessing nobody's allergic to water either.


Just Elphaba (excellent reading, by the way)


Heh heh.  What a world, what a world.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

captainimpossibles

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 17
    • View Profile
Chicken allergies-Oct 17
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2003, 10:38:47 am »

Quote from: "CortJstr"


Weird ass thought of the day: Ray is supposed to be roughly normal cat size. Yet the chicken was in proportion to a human. Does the underground raise tiny chickens? Was it a cornish game hen (baby chicken)? Has the underground perfected Shrink Ray Technology*? It's not easy living inside my head.



Actually, there are chickens of that size available here. They're man-made, and about the size of your fist! You can just cut 'em up like regular chickens.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Chicken allergies-Oct 17
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2003, 01:09:47 pm »

Quote from: "PinkStainlessTail"
Maybe he could eat Mock Chicken.

(No, it's not some wacky vegan thing. It's worse. WHAT IS GOING ON, CANADA?)

Oh and chicken/egg allergies are semi-common. The topic comes up a lot this time of year, because the flu vaccine is egg based or something.


I actually grew up on Mock Chicken as a kid here in Canada.  The sad truth is that it is one of those horrible processed meat products marketed to poor people who can't afford actual meats "pure" meats .  It's a hillbilly cousin to bologna.  I remember it fondly: the loaf was at the deli counter and was a square shape perfect for going between two slices of bread, the meat itself was a greyish-pinkish colour and it had a strange eatable orange outer "skin" that was exciting to me as a little girl, but looking back I'm rather disturbed.  I also had cow tounge sandwiches - seeing the tastebuds in my sandwich upset me even when I was little...just lots of stuff most people don't usually eat unless they have no other choice.

As for meat alergies - my mom is allergic to beef and I remember meeting someone allergic to turkey - but I can't seem to remembe if she was allergic to all poultry products.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Chicken allergies-Oct 17
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2003, 08:02:12 pm »

Quote from: "side_show"
I also had cow tounge sandwiches - seeing the tastebuds in my sandwich upset me even when I was little...

My general policy is to not eat any food that can taste me while I'm tasting it.

This is reminding me of the time when I was a small kid and my mother and I ended up inadvertently ordering whole catgiraffe at a restaurant. It didn't drive me vegetarian, but I refuse to eat anything where the eyes stay on. Eesh.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Chicken allergies-Oct 17
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2003, 10:51:42 pm »

I don't know if cow tongue is one of those things you eat when you can't get something else. In the Delis you can always get it and it's usually not especially cheap. Yummy though. But yeah, the buds are kind of gross. I've voluntarily eaten it more than once.

We used to eat this thing called 'City Chicken' which some of you doubtless will recognize/remember as pork, skewered on a wooden stick, breaded and cooked (we always had it pan-fried). Why it's called 'City Chicken' I don't know. I always conjured up visions of roasted pigeon whenever I heard the phrase 'City Chicken'.

After a fine dinner of Mock Chicken, did you have Mock Apple Pie (from the Ritz box) for dessert?
Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up