Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Making money from art is not vulgar. Art is a commodity. It makes people feel something. It raises the greater sum of human happiness. It increases the gaiety of the nation. It has a value. -John Allison

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Happy New Year  (Read 5257 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Happy New Year
« on: September 13, 2007, 02:57:40 pm »

Happy New Year, everybody!
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Happy New Year
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 04:04:34 pm »

shanah tovah umetukah!
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Happy New Year
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 07:49:54 pm »

A lot of my coworkers got the day off today.  I'm always jealous for no reason.  I save a lot of time not going to synagog afterall.

So is anyone here actually Jewish?  If so, may the new year be sweet for you!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 10:00:28 pm by side_show »
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Re: Happy New Year
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 08:24:47 pm »

I am not, but my fiancee is.  We attended services last night (my second time).  I am pretty much religiously unaffiliated, but I have really enjoyed the services I've attended so far.  I like the faith's focus on the here and now, as opposed to here mainly being tryouts for the afterlife.  I will have no problem raising our kid Jewish. 

When we started meeting with the Cantor earlier this summer to prepare for the wedding, I mentioned that I'd be interested in learning Hebrew, or at least how to read phonetically.  I gave up pretty quickly.  That is some complicated stuff, and I don't envy our future son or daughter that task.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Happy New Year
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 08:28:18 pm »

Man, I could really use a new year right about now. I am not Jewish, but I'm going to borrow it if no one objects.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Happy New Year
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007, 11:41:38 pm »

It's my understanding that if you go to a rabbi and tell them you wish to convert to Judaism, they try like hell to talk you out of it.

It's also my understanding that you don't have to be Jewish to go to Jewish heaven - that the Jewish view is that there's a sort of "outer Heaven" where the basically good go, and an "inner Heaven," closer to the big man, where the Jews go.

I have no idea if either of these notions are true. But if they aren't, I want them to be. That's a good religion right there.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Happy New Year
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2007, 11:47:33 pm »

true. the Rabbi has to try to dissuade you... I think 3 times?

also, I'm pretty sure they don't believe in Heaven.

If I were a more spiritual person, I would be hell of Jewish. I have read a bunch of stuff about it... and it just makes sense. So much.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

iron_felix

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 373
    • View Profile
Re: Happy New Year
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2007, 12:19:15 am »

I'm with Inev on that, except that I don't think I could ever get over the whole circumcision thing.  It would be a real weird decision on my part to go all Jack the Ripper on my knackers so late in life.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Happy New Year
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2007, 12:19:44 am »

yay! I don't have to worry about that part!
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely
Re: Happy New Year
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2007, 12:26:29 am »

I miss the days when antisemitism was an utter mystery to me.

It was the last arbitrary prejudice to properly baffle me.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Happy New Year
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2007, 12:39:05 am »

It's my understanding that if you go to a rabbi and tell them you wish to convert to Judaism, they try like hell to talk you out of it.

If I remember my Blogging the Bible correctly way back in the Old Testament it basically says that one can't convert to Judaism. So either I'm remembering the column wrong or that's one of those rules that everybody just chooses to ignore, like executing people for inter-marrying and whatnot.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Happy New Year
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2007, 12:54:05 am »

Everyone should blow a chauffeur in honor of this fine day.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 01:28:03 am by AlohaDawg »
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Happy New Year
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2007, 12:58:36 am »

Everyone should blow a chauffeur in honor of this fine day.
Wait what?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 01:28:39 am by AlohaDawg »
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely
Re: Happy New Year
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2007, 01:03:21 am »

I just Googled "chauffeur fellatio jew" but I thought better of it and closed the window before reading any of it.

To be honest I think that particular search would have required some refinement.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Happy New Year
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2007, 01:27:44 am »

I just Googled "chauffeur fellatio jew" but I thought better of it and closed the window before reading any of it.

To be honest I think that particular search would have required some refinement.

Indeed.

You spelled "Chauffeur" wrong. Sort of. (I edited the other posts to spell "Chauffeur" right. Sort of.)


That's all I'm saying.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 01:33:33 am by AlohaDawg »
Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up