Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood The bus is crossing Klickitat St., home of Ramona Quimby. It's pretty swank these days. No sign of Nosmo King.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: You want to be Nineteen? Go ahead! (September 21st, 2007)  (Read 6469 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
You want to be Nineteen? Go ahead! (September 21st, 2007)
« on: September 21, 2007, 05:49:48 am »

Basically ray is being a jerk here, I feel. Some people never get a job where they give you a chair. This is not really funny or entertaining to me, besides.

I try to go through life assuming "I've not had his life. Maybe he comes from a Circumstance where he needs to be calling me and asking about my long distance provider."

also I subsist entirely on windfall fruit.

Quote from: A-CAP
YOU FORGOT THE PERMALINK
PERMALINK!
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Bimmicus

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 32
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 186
  • Rotten Bastard
    • View Profile
    • SPLUNGE
Re: You want to be Nineteen? Go ahead! (September 21st, 2007)
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 05:58:49 am »

"fuck your calculated tight black p@nts."

I've used variations of this more than once.
Logged
you can't spank the monkey if he's on your back

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: You want to be Nineteen? Go ahead! (September 21st, 2007)
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 06:03:49 am »

My property is anyone's whore for the right price. Free is not that right price. I identify with Ray on many other levels here, however.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: You want to be Nineteen? Go ahead! (September 21st, 2007)
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 06:14:55 am »

I hate it when people come to my door or call with solicitations. What the fuck is wrong with them? I hate having my life intruded upon. If it is for a good reason, like a little kid selling wrapping paper to get better textbooks at their school, or someone asking if I've seen their lost cat, I am okay with that. I get pissy when it's a 19-year-old crackhead selling magazine subscriptions or whatever. I sympathize with Ray.

Logged

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: You want to be Nineteen? Go ahead! (September 21st, 2007)
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 06:35:51 am »

Having been on the other side of the proverbial door, I can empathize with the hot dumbass in the calculated black #####. (Not because I'm hot or have the black #####) One of the scariest thngs in the world is to knock on someone's door and try to sell them something. Know what's scarier than that? Doing it again. And again.
Logged

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: You want to be Nineteen? Go ahead! (September 21st, 2007)
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 06:48:12 am »

I thoroughly enjoyed this. Say what you will about the recent"insert funny object" pattern, this is a classic Fuck You Friday, such as we have not seen in a great while, thanks to that scourge, The Phillipe Times.

I notice that Ray might actually be subtly flirting with the woman in panel three. Look at his jolly upper-body carriage, his expressive eyebrows. He is thinking that once he makes her stop being a solicitor, he might be able to turn the situation around and make the most of it. I wonder if she has dry hair and is named Crystal?

I enjoy Ray's implication that being nineteen is a neccesary evil, a pain one must endure in order to become a real person, provided that they stay the fuck out of everybody's face. I respect Ray's philosophy on that.
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: You want to be Nineteen? Go ahead! (September 21st, 2007)
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2007, 07:11:37 am »

Having been on the other side of the proverbial door, I can empathize with the hot dumbass in the calculated black ******. (Not because I'm hot or have the black ******) One of the scariest thngs in the world is to knock on someone's door and try to sell them something. Know what's scarier than that? Doing it again. And again.

I am introverted enough that the thought of doing that terrifies me. Ugh. I feel so sorry for folks who do that. It is also the reason why I never got to go to the pizza parties in school for the kids who sold at least x amount of tacky shit to fundraise for the school.


I notice that Ray might actually be subtly flirting with the woman in panel three. Look at his jolly upper-body carriage, his expressive eyebrows. He is thinking that once he makes her stop being a solicitor, he might be able to turn the situation around and make the most of it. I wonder if she has dry hair and is named Crystal Summer?
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: You want to be Nineteen? Go ahead! (September 21st, 2007)
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2007, 07:53:00 am »

the other day my friend Dylan and I basically had to door-to-door solicit for the Radio Station. I mean, we were just handing out free schedule posters, though, so people basically just said "yeah, sure, I'll take one."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: You want to be Nineteen? Go ahead! (September 21st, 2007)
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2007, 11:52:39 am »

Yeah, I've been there, when I was nineteen for that matter.
It's nice to have a job with a chair now.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: You want to be Nineteen? Go ahead! (September 21st, 2007)
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2007, 01:16:32 pm »

As soon as I saw "Fuck You Friday" in my RSS feed, I said "Aw yeah.  I need this right now."

When I lived in Albuturkey, and really needed a job, I went to US PIRG and went out with one of their canvassers.  After about two hours of following him around and watching him beg for money door-to-door, I handed him my clipboard and said "Sorry, I can't do this."  I always feel kind of bad for people who are doing that because I realize how much it must suck.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: You want to be Nineteen? Go ahead! (September 21st, 2007)
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2007, 01:24:39 pm »

I hated selling pencils and crap like that in middle school. Luckily now I live in a secured apartment building and very rarely have to deal with people knocking on my door.

When I was in college those tight black ##### were like the fricking school uniform for ladies. I think the girls must have owned like 12 pairs each. Is it still like this in colleges now?
Logged

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: You want to be Nineteen? Go ahead! (September 21st, 2007)
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2007, 01:27:22 pm »

I hate it when people come to my door or call with solicitations. What the fuck is wrong with them? I hate having my life intruded upon.

Just get one of those "NO SOLICITORS" stickers for each door on your home.  Affix said stickers to said doors and enjoy a solicitation-free lifestyle.  The stickers are clear, concise, and communicate the point more subtly than letting your yard go to seed or leaving broken bottles of Olde English in plain sight.  Remember that the mailman or your sweet great-aunt who needs a cane might be coming to your door and you don't want them to think you're a derelict.

If someone gets bold and decides to defy the order of the sticker, just frown and point to the sticker.  For emphasis, you can say "The sticker says 'NO SOLICITORS'" while you point.  Like telemarketers, those people don't want to waste their time trying to crack an impossible egg.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: You want to be Nineteen? Go ahead! (September 21st, 2007)
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2007, 01:30:05 pm »

I have a story about solicitation.  It's a good one too.  I'm too depressed to type it up right now, but maybe in a little while?
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: You want to be Nineteen? Go ahead! (September 21st, 2007)
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2007, 01:46:01 pm »

....
Smells, stop that, just winding us up, watching us dance to your tune.
Tell your story damnit.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: You want to be Nineteen? Go ahead! (September 21st, 2007)
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2007, 03:30:29 pm »

Basically ray is being a jerk here, I feel. Some people never get a job where they give you a chair. This is not really funny or entertaining to me, besides.

I try to go through life assuming "I've not had his life. Maybe he comes from a Circumstance where he needs to be calling me and asking about my long distance provider."

also I subsist entirely on windfall fruit.

Spoken like someone who is currently nineteen.  Inev, you are the innocent idealist in all of us.  I will rue the day you turn 21 and become A-CAP. 

I did cold calls for the ballroom dance studio I worked at when I was nineteen.  It pretty much sucked, and I only got paid for people who booked lessons.  My fear of calling strangers on the phone got a lot worse after that, to the point where I won't even order pizza over the phone now.  I use the internet or make Pedro do it. 

Also, when my Dad ran for local office I canvassed door-to-door for him.  I was six, and my pitch was, "Here's refrigerator magnet and a school calendar.  Vote for my dad." 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up