Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

HIDE YOUR SHAME
by wearing new t-shirts from Word Front Wares. Shroud yourself in pure unadulterated awesome.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: You want to be Nineteen? Go ahead! (September 21st, 2007)  (Read 6433 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: You want to be Nineteen? Go ahead! (September 21st, 2007)
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2007, 10:24:20 pm »

I always thought that "going to Sweden" meant "getting a sex change".

I also always thought that "going to Thailand" meant "going to have sex with ladyboy prostitutes".

But that story is very very sad, yeah.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: You want to be Nineteen? Go ahead! (September 21st, 2007)
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2007, 01:23:23 am »

Clarification: He was born in the US but his parents were both children of Swedish immigrants, he spoke fluent Swedish, and he was still closely enough tied to the Motherland to be able to locate relatives to stay with.  Basically he needed to get out of the country for a while, and had spent two summers in Sweden prior to the accident, so it was a natural choice for him to go back there.  He would get this faraway look in his eyes when he talked about living there, he made it sound like the most beautiful, placid, wonderful place in the entire universe, heaven not excluded. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: You want to be Nineteen? Go ahead! (September 21st, 2007)
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2007, 11:00:11 pm »

For my nineteenth birthday, my parents were out of town and Kelli and I threw a kegger at my folks' house. It was great. I had a local bakery make a really cute Piglet cake and we partied down. It was wonderful. I think I lobbied for and successfully got Guinness in the keg. It was expensive, but damn worth it.

The only embarrassing part of the evening was when my friend Beth, who is blind, was telling a joke and my friend Nicholas laughed REALLY LOUDLY at the wrong part of the joke due to his uncomfortableness about her blindness. It was weird, but a lot of sighted people have never spent time around people who are blind, and they don't really know how to deal.

Logged

Popegeorgeringo

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 21
    • View Profile
Re: You want to be Nineteen? Go ahead! (September 21st, 2007)
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2007, 05:49:41 pm »

JDunstan:

Pardon me, but I think the guy who promised to call but didn't because of being in a car accident and having to learn to walk again, etc. was one giant bullshit story on the dude's part.

Entertaining though.

The Pope.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: You want to be Nineteen? Go ahead! (September 21st, 2007)
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2007, 05:56:19 pm »

JDunstan:

Pardon me, but I think the guy who promised to call but didn't because of being in a car accident and having to learn to walk again, etc. was one giant bullshit story on the dude's part.

Entertaining though.

The Pope.

JL, this dude registered just so he could say that.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: You want to be Nineteen? Go ahead! (September 21st, 2007)
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2007, 05:56:36 pm »

JDunstan:

Pardon me, but I think the guy who promised to call but didn't because of being in a car accident and having to learn to walk again, etc. was one giant bullshit story on the dude's part.

Entertaining though.

The Pope.

Uh, no.  He was damaged.  I was there, I saw it.  I can tell bullshit when I see it, believe me. 

Way to be an asshole on your first post.  To an admin, no less.  Nice job. 

And it's dunstOn, with an O.  Reading: It's Fundamental. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: You want to be Nineteen? Go ahead! (September 21st, 2007)
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2007, 11:52:19 pm »

Yeah, his story sounded like bullshit to me too, JL, but then I remembered that you're not functionally retarded and would probably know the difference better than I would.

The Pope is okay, though.  He was trying to help.  I can tell.

Also, Sweden is incredible.  You'd go there too if you only knew...

Popegeorgeringo

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 21
    • View Profile
Re: You want to be Nineteen? Go ahead! (September 21st, 2007)
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2007, 01:44:35 pm »

JL:

Didn't mean to insult, but ya' gotta admit it does sound like what Mark Twain would call a stretcher. Of course I don't know any of the facts so I will accept that it was true.  Sorry to have offended.  It is difficult some times to be a bit snarky without having something come off as being asshole-ish.  I just came across this site the other day and I don't have a feel for it yet  I had assumed that since we are all fans of Ray and Pat and Todd that the tone might accept a bit of good natured kidding.  Clearly I was wrong and my lame attempt was off base..  I will err on the side of niceness though from now on.

Regards,

The pope.  (little p)

Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: You want to be Nineteen? Go ahead! (September 21st, 2007)
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2007, 04:03:48 pm »

Pope --

Thanks for the apology, we are actually pretty much assholes around here but it's like a big bunch of siblings -- it's a little different coming from an outsider.  Good to know you are not actually a crap dude. 

Also, you can't be Little P because that's what I call my kid.  But you can be the Pope, we don't have one of those around here yet. 

Sincerely,
 -- You can cal me Jayell
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Popegeorgeringo

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 21
    • View Profile
Re: You want to be Nineteen? Go ahead! (September 21st, 2007)
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2007, 04:39:11 pm »

Thanks.  Glad to defuse a potential flame war, that I didn't intend and being a new guy and missing that you are an admin I wouldn't win at all. <grin?>.

Back to original strip -- I always like FYFridays, and this one was terrific.  I don't mind Phillepe's Friday newsletters, they're much better than a normal Phillepe strip.

The Pope.
Logged

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely
Re: You want to be Nineteen? Go ahead! (September 21st, 2007)
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2007, 05:07:23 pm »

Hey, don't back down so easily! They give you infallibility for a reason, you know.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: You want to be Nineteen? Go ahead! (September 21st, 2007)
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2007, 05:13:12 pm »

Thanks.  Glad to defuse a potential flame war, that I didn't intend and being a new guy and missing that you are an admin I wouldn't win at all. <grin?>.

Well there wouldn't have been a flame war because JL would have banned the shit out of you, but fwiw, I took your first post as trying to be helpful and not assholish at all.

Welcome to the board little pope.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: You want to be Nineteen? Go ahead! (September 21st, 2007)
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2007, 12:24:12 am »

But what says he of Molly?
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: You want to be Nineteen? Go ahead! (September 21st, 2007)
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2007, 01:28:00 pm »

Wow, it's like freshmen at college getting scoped out to pledge a frat. "Join the Philippe haters, we have awesome keggers!" "The Molly Appreciation Society was voted Hottest TOUAMB group by the Ladies of the Board three years in a row."

The Leg Men are still waiting for our secret menu at Steak & Shake.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up