Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

I get so lonely up here. You never write, you never call.

sigh

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 28th September 2007 - You should drink liquids  (Read 4078 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
28th September 2007 - You should drink liquids
« on: September 28, 2007, 05:33:55 am »

http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=09282007

I must respectfully disagree with Todd's assertion in the third panel.
Logged

evan

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 154
    • View Profile
    • http://www.i-got-problems.com
Re: 28th September 2007 - You should drink liquids
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 06:18:15 am »

I have to disagree with Todd's assertion in the last panel (that people are laughing)
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: 28th September 2007 - You should drink liquids
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 06:23:26 am »

The cracked-out squirrel is so agitated that people do not understand him.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: 28th September 2007 - You should drink liquids
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 07:03:40 am »

I feel rather "eh" about this one.

If it is one of a series of steps toward something, that could be good.

But in and of itself, the stoned squirrel wants a car and the debauched cat will give it to him if he crossdresses and drinks something that is possibly urine-tainted.

Am I jaded at this point? It isn't a weird or sick enough idea to be funny just on that merit alone.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: 28th September 2007 - You should drink liquids
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 07:27:36 am »

I'm not going to naysay jut yet, because this could be development for something good, but so far I'm not feelin' it.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: 28th September 2007 - You should drink liquids
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2007, 08:12:42 am »

I'm not sure how to feel about the implication that Ray is actually manipulating Todd. I know Ray has untold depths, but I always figured the Chochacho Spirit in him would keep him from abusing his inner circle in this way.

Then again... it is Todd.
Logged

ryanpeq

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 17
    • View Profile
Re: 28th September 2007 - You should drink liquids
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2007, 08:43:10 am »

Remembering also that Ray thinks Todd is a crap dude, it's not hard to imagine him steering the guy into a less than ideal situation.
Logged

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: 28th September 2007 - You should drink liquids
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2007, 10:17:11 am »

not feelin' it either. fuck you and your car, todd.
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 28th September 2007 - You should drink liquids
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2007, 04:35:29 pm »

yeah, I hate this.

Although, do you know what else I didn't get? The last time Todd needed Ray's help with a project.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: 28th September 2007 - You should drink liquids
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2007, 05:09:47 pm »

yeah, I hate this.

Although, do you know what else I didn't get? The last time Todd needed Ray's help with a project.

You must  be joking Dan.  As I recall, that little exchange led directly to the Great Outdoor fight.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: 28th September 2007 - You should drink liquids
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2007, 05:10:08 pm »

Up next: Tweekin Lightning fast pitch 8-balls.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 28th September 2007 - You should drink liquids
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2007, 08:22:08 pm »

yeah, that was the idea. I conveyed it poorly. What I am saying is that maybe this silly little arc has a lot further to go. At the end, we'll thank him.

I mean, I just think that we have to assume our president Onstad knows more than we do about these things, and is making the best decisions for all of us.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely
Re: 28th September 2007 - You should drink liquids
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2007, 10:18:53 pm »

I prefer to think that Onstad is fallible and will occasionally set out upon an arc that does not particularly entertain me.

I hold this preference principally because my term is just about to start and I am going to have to get some serious work done.

(Unrelated interjection: how awesome are the Kronos Quartet?)

iron_felix

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 373
    • View Profile
Re: 28th September 2007 - You should drink liquids
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2007, 10:27:28 pm »

Inev, you get a tiny can for making the same comparison I was going to use.  The strip (and the entire arc so far, really) isn't very funny, but it bears the heady scent of plot development.  On the other hand, if nothing spectacular comes of this now it'll suck even harder for having failed to deliver on something it never really promised in the first place.  Better not to set our expectations so high just yet, I think.

I don't mind an story arc starting out this way, but I do hope that when it starts to take off, it's in a different direction than this.  To quote a previous exchange:

Last time we got a flowchart it led into a month-long story arc.  Are we about to witness an arc with Todd as the principal character?  Are we ready for such a thing?

NO.

On a different note, when did Todd get that nick in his left ear?  Have we ever seen it before this arc?  Have we ever seen Todd's face from straight on before, for that matter?
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: 28th September 2007 - You should drink liquids
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2007, 10:36:09 pm »

Hmm. This is a pretty interesting conversation. I think I can postulate that there are two basic kinds of Achewood story arcs: the Party/Cartilage-Head-style arc, where the basic scenario is established immediately and never changes much, and the GOF-style arc, where the scenario that appears to start the storyline has no actual connection to what the arc turns out to be about. (The GOF is actually quite complicated in this regard, since it goes from "Ray and Todd consider various artificial-scrotum-based business ventures" to "Ray awkwardly entertains his mother" to the actual GOF.) I find it interesting at this point that everyone's intrigued by this arc specifically because we're hoping it will turn out to be something else -- that nobody particularly wants to read three more weeks of Todd's Insane Crackhead TV-Star Adventures, but we'd love to see it turn into something unexpected.

Is there a correlation between relative lameness of startup and likelihood of a GOF-style swerve? If so, is it just a product of Onstad saying "eh, this isn't going anywhere, time to do something different?" I have to assume it is, but with Onstad, you can never deny the possibility of a boring startup being intentional as a run-up to something totally bizarre and epic.

(Yes, I'm overthinking it. Shut up.)
Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up