Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Metallica would be a lot less powerful if they ended every show by reciting the ABCs.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where did you go, Mr. Mom?  (Read 5063 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Where did you go, Mr. Mom?
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2007, 04:14:05 am »

This is an interesting perspective. Was your dad particularly awful? I think once kids get older a lot might feel this way.

Oh, and please don't torture us with suspense... at least, assure us that the grim happenings are no worse than moving to DC from Hawaii which is unspeakable enough if you ask me?

Somewhat worse. It looks likes the wife and kids are going to move to Cleveland and I'm gonna rent a small apartment in a friends house and keep working here until the job thing resolves itself. This way we can save some money for a move. Don't know exactly when yet or for how long, but probably right after Christmas at the latest.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Where did you go, Mr. Mom?
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2007, 04:20:31 am »

Ouch. That's always a rough situation; we've done it twice, both with my dad going away for a while and getting set up elsewhere before we followed him. If it's any comfort, hopefully the time will pass quickly.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Where did you go, Mr. Mom?
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2007, 04:21:46 am »

Thanks.

This is ass backwards, though, no time frame on how long before I land a job out there.
Logged

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Where did you go, Mr. Mom?
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2007, 04:51:15 am »


In short (too late), I think that the reason there aren't more stay at home dads is because feminism has failed men, even while it has helped women.  We were promised equality; we got higher expectations across the board.  We were promised choice; we got guilt no matter what we chose.  We were promised freedom; we got the freedom to pursue happiness but nobody seems to be able to find it. 

My thoughts.  Yours? 
On that note:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/26/business/26leonhardt.html?_r=1&em&ex=1191211200&en=5a860f7f13137ca2&ei=5087%0A&oref=slogin
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Where did you go, Mr. Mom?
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2007, 08:24:09 pm »

yeah, I always awkward when I do something like...
maybe I tell a story about how often we get letters addressed to "Dr and Mrs" instead of "Dr and Mr" and how it makes my mom so mad. And then they say "oh, wow, your mom is a doctor?"
"yeah. well... not a medical doctor. she has her PhD."
"oh. what does she do?"
"well. She does a lot of volunteer stuff... and she is a stay-at-home-mom?"
"oh."

now she is starting to Sub at my old school, though. and I feel like this might eventually turn into a more permanent position if she wants it to?

this one time a girl told me that my mom was a failure because she didn't have a career. I came so close to slapping that bitch. so. fuck*ng. close.

Inev, I am probably going to be your mom when I grow up. 

Also, I hope you love this tiny can as much as I adore your response to someone saying bad things about your mom. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Where did you go, Mr. Mom?
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2007, 10:52:22 pm »

thank you kindly. my mom is awesome.

also, dawg: my dad had to do that when we moved to Charlotte. He moved there for several months to start his new job while we stayed behind due to several factors which I don't recall, since I was 8 at the time. the kids and your lady will miss you, but be strong! I feel for you, though... even as a kid, I knew that it must be sad for my dad to be off by himself. (partially because the idea that someone could be happy without my presence didn't seem that reasonable at the time, but, you know.)
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Where did you go, Mr. Mom?
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2007, 12:55:09 am »

I've been wondering what my life was missing...
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up