Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

I get so lonely up here. You never write, you never call.

sigh

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Thunk Thunk -- October 05, 2007  (Read 2837 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Thunk Thunk -- October 05, 2007
« on: October 05, 2007, 04:42:16 pm »

What's with that Thunk Thunk! anyway?

Also, where the hell is everybody?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Thunk Thunk -- October 05, 2007
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 04:47:30 pm »

For whatever reason, Fridays seem to usually be quiet.
The last two panels of this strip are unfathomable to me.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Bimmicus

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 32
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 186
  • Rotten Bastard
    • View Profile
    • SPLUNGE
Re: Thunk Thunk -- October 05, 2007
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 04:49:26 pm »

I feel bad for anyone who just started reading Achewood this week.
Logged
you can't spank the monkey if he's on your back

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Thunk Thunk -- October 05, 2007
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 04:56:09 pm »

Sorry, there was an issue with the forum of which I was unaware.

I posted a fix link in the Mod forum.

Yeah, this strip isn't making my transition into the weekend pleasant.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Thunk Thunk -- October 05, 2007
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 05:00:09 pm »

Is he asking for Todd's menu? Is it code? Leg-men, does it mean something special to you?
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Thunk Thunk -- October 05, 2007
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 05:06:21 pm »

yea hes definitely asking for Todds menu, but the dude is tweaking too hard to notice.
Maybe its just the people I know, but getting high on meth is known as tweaking, getting high on coke is known as geeking as in "I was so geeked out last night".
Also, I wish I could make people feel like a rock star by taking them to a mexican restaurant.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Thunk Thunk -- October 05, 2007
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 05:11:52 pm »

What happened to the two menus he brought with him?
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Thunk Thunk -- October 05, 2007
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 05:15:18 pm »

What happened to the two menus he brought with him?
Can for john on this one, nice call. theyre looking at menus then the waiter arrives with 2 more menus and yet only one menu is in the last 2 panels.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Thunk Thunk -- October 05, 2007
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2007, 05:24:30 pm »

I figured THUNK THUNK was some sort of code, but now I do think he's asking for the menu, and now Todd is going to freak out and rip Jai in the Sky's face off.

Double chipotle guacamayo!
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Thunk Thunk -- October 05, 2007
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2007, 05:25:20 pm »

I'm proofreading reports this morning - its carrying over into my loafing.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Thunk Thunk -- October 05, 2007
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2007, 05:45:58 pm »

I'm bewildered. But I have faith that all will eventually become clear. I think.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Thunk Thunk -- October 05, 2007
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2007, 06:16:03 pm »

Dammit, I tried to make this thread last night when the comic posted, but alas. Board was down. I'm really glad it's back, though. Thanks, joughytrousers.

I think Jai's just tapping to say, "Okay, dude, be a dick. Whatevs. Enjoy your stay in Vegas, guys."
Logged

Enkidu

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 13
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 42
  • I think my hearts explodin! THESE KNIVES!
    • View Profile
Re: Thunk Thunk -- October 05, 2007
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2007, 07:15:19 pm »

Yeah, I see the *thunk thunk smile* as just an expression of the waiter's unquenchable enthusiasm for his job.  Its his departing manuever, like snapping his finger and pointing at someone .  He's punctuating his departure.  He is a douche.

I laughed at this comic.
Logged

colmore

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 56
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 379
  • Sorry Mom, Sorry Dad, Sorry College
    • View Profile
Re: Thunk Thunk -- October 05, 2007
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2007, 07:29:29 pm »

Maybe I have a really strange and specific sense of humor, but I haven't laughed this hard at anything in weeks.

The earring.... "Heyo".... the synchronism with the alt-text... the last three panels which made me realize something I've always unconsciously loved about achewood:

Various cartooning traditions: pre-war newspaper strips, modern american cartooning, japanese cartooning, romance comics, adventure / superhero books, all have fairly standard ways of rendering facial expressions to register certain emotions.  Onstad's characters have a set of facial expressions all their own that are sometimes impossible to read precisely... which makes them slightly alien and off-putting.

It's hilarious in the same way that the really uncomfortable scenes in Lynch movies are hilarious.  Your brain makes about 40% of the connection between what is depicted and what is "supposed" to be going on, so it isn't "just random," but the rest of your skull just stands there like a confused child waiting for someone to come along and explain things.  But it's like the Kaufman bit where the vertical hold just goes off on his TV show... it's just well aimed confusion at precisely the right time to create maximum anticipation and discomfort; it might not "mean" anything more than to not always expect the familiar from a familiar medium.

To me at least, that sort of crap is hilarious.
Logged
In Capitalist America, bank robs you!

nDed

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 34
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 292
    • View Profile
Re: Thunk Thunk -- October 05, 2007
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2007, 07:33:05 pm »

Oh, the forum's fixed. Now I can get back to not contributing very much at all.

Man, I guess having a huge torso is a prerequisite for employment at Fiesta Max!. The earrings also seem to be part of the uniform, for some reason, but the Mirror Universe goatee is apparently optional.
Logged
Love never blows up and gets killed.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up