Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That you can post photos to the TOUAMB Flickr Pool?

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The big joke  (Read 1890 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
The big joke
« on: October 07, 2007, 04:02:37 am »

So Mrs. Haus and I have been getting into family history, genealogy, all that jazz. So we got an account on ancestry.com and started entering family information based on things we know. The system is designed to help fill in the gaps.

There's also a neat feature where you can look for famous relatives. So far, no one special shows up in my ancestry - guess that means I'll have to be the one that makes it big. The wife, on the other hand, has several famous relatives. Audrey Hepburn is the coolest one. The least cool... President George W. Bush. Through his mom. They're apparently something like 11th cousins, thrice removed or something.

Still, she's tainted. I may have to end our marriage. I certainly can't have children with her. I may have to... no. I shan't have to go that far.

I think.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: The big joke
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 04:04:38 am »

WHOA!!!

That's unbelievable. Surely it...it's not genetic? I think your children will be safe, yes?

Also, Audrey Hepburn is a great relative to have.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The big joke
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 04:42:48 am »

I am really interested in doing something like this. i really enjoy this kind of thing... but I don't know how easy it would be to trace all the relatives I don't know from Chile.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: The big joke
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 02:44:44 pm »

We're hoping. Mrs. Haus's mother is quite embarrassed about the whole ordeal. Audrey Hepburn is pretty cool. She's also a relative of Jane Austen. So she has that going for her too.

Inev, I have a big gaping hole in my tree right now where my grandmother's ancestors are going, because she's from Australia. But it's a lot of fun. We're planning on buying a digital camcorder to take to Thanksgiving with her family so we can video them telling stories about the family for those who come after us.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: The big joke
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007, 06:25:23 pm »

I've got a tree on ancestry.com.  Actually, I have several, because I've been tracing the parentage of the women I'm researching for my thesis and using the census and social security data to verify things like birth and death dates, number of siblings, immigration status, etc.  It's a neat tool, and I recommend it to anyone interested in genealogy. 

I went together with a friend and we're splitting a paid account.  It's kind of neat to be able to log in and see what she's done to her family this week.  We're both apparently a little inbred so we like to give each other a hard time about our familiy trees being more like wreaths.  I haven't found any famous relatives this century, but my mother is a Trumbull in the direct line of Jonathan Trumbull, the revolutionary war hero, and his grandson (I think?), also Jonathan Trumbull, who has a painting depicting the signing of the declaration of independence hanging in the Smithsonian.  We are also related by marriage to George Washington via Jonathan Trumbull's son. 

My Dad's side is pretty sketchy considering that everyone past my grandparents were born in Poland.  But I have a fourth cousin in Warsaw who has done a really great job of collecting data on them.  I haven't entered it into Ancestry yet but when I do I bet I find a lot of neat stuff.  I've been working on Mom's side first because it's easier. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: The big joke
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2007, 09:59:26 pm »

I may try to get some family in on a paid account too. Right now, I'm paying month-to-month by myself to get the information, then I'll cancel after a month or two of research. I managed to track down a relative through my paternal grandfather that got me back to the 1600's. The wife's info has gotten back to the 1500's based on the info ancestry.com gave us.

Inev, I say give it a shot. For all you know, there may be a second or third cousin out there that's already done the research and put it in. I love putting a new name in and getting that little leaf.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up