Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "Awww yeah who is CATHOLIC up in this piece?!?!" -- you never hear that any more.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!  (Read 11645 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2007, 03:35:45 pm »

Anyway, I just had to say something about it so Wombat would know that somebody's got her back.

Yup, I was just scrolling down here in a big hurry to say "I hate it when people change their avatars!"
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2007, 05:32:25 pm »

Wow, I had no idea that there was so much avatar-change distaste around here.

This must be the one undercurrent that I've totally missed.

Well, I completely missed that two TOUAMB-emerituses (emeritii?) were engaging in make-outs too but...

At least a lot of people seem to have missed that one with me.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2007, 08:09:57 pm »

I think this is perfectly understandable. If you walked into your place of work one day, or a party with all your friends, and you'd had plastic surgery, dyed your hair, etc, all at once - wouldn't people be freaked out? 
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2007, 08:17:03 pm »

Hm. I s'pose.

I guess I saw it more such as a hat or a pair of shoes.

"hey, new hat, nice, so anyway..."
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2007, 08:42:41 pm »

This double music gag reminds me of something I used to do to pass the time when I worked in a museum. It would get dreadfully slow past six, so I pretty much had to think of ways to entertain myself. Once such way involved the audio guides that were handed out to customers arriving through the front entrance. I would take anywhere from two to ten guides, make sure the volume was set to max on each one, and set them all to play the same recording, but with a second or so delay between each one. The sheer cacophony of it all... it sounded like the booming, echoing voice of God. Well, if God was telling you about the  early childhood of Leonardo da Vinci.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2007, 08:58:46 pm »

On my college radio show, all those years ago, that no one listened to... this was actually a frequent feature.

I'd play two CDs, an instrumental and a regular song, and fade them in and out into a mix.

Basically, low-tech on-the-fly mash-up.

We had an imaginary station director with a PhD in radio, he was a talking chimpanzee and his name was Doctor Baloney.

He was mostly a hard-driving boss but he would occasionally lapse into chimp-like behaviour. Whenever we accidentally swore, we'd blame it on the janitor and the good Doctor would beat the janitor with the chain that kept the Doc chained to the soundboard.

I know no one was listening because we didn't get murdered that day I interviewed Hitler.

Basically, Hitler was trying to change his ways because anti-semitism didn't impress the ladies anymore and... yeah.

That went well.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2007, 09:17:51 pm »

I think this is perfectly understandable. If you walked into your place of work one day, or a party with all your friends, and you'd had plastic surgery, dyed your hair, etc, all at once - wouldn't people be freaked out? 
Considering that he works in Hollywood, I'd think that's par for the course.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2007, 09:19:34 pm »

I guess I saw it more such as a hat or a pair of shoes.

Only if you were an invisible man and all we could ever see was your hat and shoes!
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2007, 09:50:06 pm »

so no else here has heard that John Cage did this as a performance piece? He turned two radios  to different stations and played them. This brought to you by the same guy who wrote a 3 movement piece without a single note.
(Also, post 666)
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2007, 10:04:16 pm »

I love music experiments like that, though.

Brian Eno does crap like that all the time... or at least used to... and Flaming Lips still do.

The idea of holding a concert by giving the audience each a machine with a music loop on it and, in total, the music changes with what the people do with their devices and... that's the concert. I love that shit.

I'm also a huge fan of how Ben Folds occasionally has the crowd "sing" the strings or horns to a song when he doesn't have those players touring with him.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2007, 11:30:17 pm »

yeah, John Cage. what a guy. He did a ton of stuff with stuff like this. What a guy.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2007, 12:49:51 am »

I'm glad to see this thread is actually about double music. I'mma have to try this.

Or maybe just listen to some Flaming Lips.
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2007, 01:31:28 am »

Wow, I had no idea that there was so much avatar-change distaste around here.

No one commented when I changed my avatar to a picture of me drinking beer out of a chicken carcass. Also, LFM, your avatar first reminded me of the new coors light logo.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2007, 01:40:28 am »

i really want a new avatar. but I can't find anything as good as the Duck and Chicken. I have been trying to find something worthwhile for ages.

at one point it was the Porkchops and Applesauce icon? I stole it from someone else.

Edit: I stole it from Va.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 01:46:57 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2007, 01:49:11 am »

My previous avatar (a Warholesque montage of Mr. Bear, for those of you who weren't around for it) got lost when I lost my domain name. I went blank for a little while, but I like quite much the new one.

I think the key to a successful avatar switch is to keep it in line with what came before. I had Mr. Bear before, I have Mr. Bear now. The best avatar switch in recent history has to be the switch from kittyloaf to kittyloaves, though.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up