Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood There are only five Wodehouse books on my special Wodehouse shelf?! As Jeeves himself might ask, "Where in the fuck are the rest of them."

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Opening Licks  (Read 8653 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Opening Licks
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2007, 07:44:07 pm »

In somewhat related vein, I will probably be seeing Gwar in Nov.
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Opening Licks
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2007, 11:34:11 pm »

How do you actually measure that? Do you have relations with 5x as many relatives?

Also, War Ensemble by Slayer. SLAYER!!!
I liked slayer. In middle school.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Opening Licks
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2007, 01:02:46 am »

House of the Rising Sun - The Animals
Logged
ACHIEVE

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Opening Licks
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2007, 09:33:32 am »

I liked slayer. In middle school.


That's funny, that's when I liked Ayn Rand. But we still party sometimes.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 09:44:14 am by lprkn »
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Opening Licks
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2007, 04:31:47 pm »

oh, dude.

DUDE.

ROCK AND ROLL AIN'T NOISE POLLUTION.

BAM BAM BAM! BAM BAM BAM, BAM BAM BAM!
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Opening Licks
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2007, 07:57:34 pm »

Quote from: lprkn
That's funny, that's when I liked Ayn Rand.

Interestingly, I had alla Rush Limbaugh's books and stuff when I was twelve.

(Can'd, btw.)
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Opening Licks
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2007, 08:00:27 pm »

I know it may not exactly be metal, but the intro to "Pretty Woman" has to be in some sort of Hall of Fame for this. One of the classic rock intros, unquestionably.
Logged

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: Opening Licks
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2007, 08:57:15 pm »

I wrote this big long thing, and then I realized this thread is not about "licking openings."

My bad.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Opening Licks
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2007, 09:38:04 pm »

But...

But it CAN be. Dammit.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Opening Licks
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2007, 12:49:43 am »

Turbo Ninja, every time I see your avatar I just imagine the man saying whatever it is you typed, very earnestly. Makes for good times when you say something about "licking openings."
Logged

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Opening Licks
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2007, 03:19:11 pm »

I have been vocal about my disliking of Radiohead's new album in another thread, but I bit my tongue. It's gorgeous where it counts. It has the best guitar playing I've heard in AGES, something that these dudes pushin' 40 didn't have any right to pull off... so...

I offer that the opening guitar licks on the album opener, "15 Step" at 00:41, are to die for. To die for. So clean and velvet- ey, mmm.
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Opening Licks
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2007, 03:34:57 pm »

these dudes pushin' 40 didn't have any right to pull off... so...


Fuck you.

Get offa my lawn.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Opening Licks
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2007, 04:15:16 pm »

I KNOW, MAN. I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN.

Getting there myself, you know. It's just that I was used to older rockstars gushing forth musical non-entities after a certain while... it's weird to gear back into fanboy mode after all these years...
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Opening Licks
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2007, 04:53:05 pm »

Dude, you are named after King Crimson.

You can hear dudes in their sixties doing things with guitars Radiohead couldn't dream of, just by putting on whatever latest release is at that moment.

Radiohead is good and all but Robert Fripp travelled back in time to INVENT the guitar.

C'mon now.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Opening Licks
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2007, 05:47:20 pm »

Final Countdown.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up