Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Ray Smuckles pours one out for Tiger's '09 Escalade. "Shit didn't have to be that way, Tiger. You coulda' taken the damn Buick."

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Opening Licks  (Read 8641 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Opening Licks
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2007, 05:49:02 pm »

Dude, you are named after King Crimson.

Jesus Christ, I did not know that.

I know nothing of King Crimson but for two tracks or something from their first album, but never really went looking for their stuff. Who'd thunk it?
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Opening Licks
« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2007, 06:07:47 pm »

Where did you get the name from, then?

I have canned you at least twice for the awesomeness of a Crim-based username.

I... I just assumed.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Opening Licks
« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2007, 06:14:00 pm »

welll... I used to be "jade emperor" in another board full of british dicks (no offense to non-dickish british people here). when I got back there after a... beef, I thought better to disguise my old moniker, so "deja", which seemed to beg for "vu", so I tweaked it around until "vroom" came up.
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Opening Licks
« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2007, 06:56:21 pm »

Basically, King Crimson put out an EP in the middle Nineties called "Vroom" and so...

A later concert DVD they released was cleverly titled "dejavroom".

I just assumed... and so I made a "sum" out of "Ed".
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Opening Licks
« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2007, 12:02:08 am »

Hey Limmo, on that mix you posted do you have a suggested play order?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: Opening Licks
« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2007, 03:16:24 pm »

Start with "The Hellion" & "Electric Eye", end with "Stars."  The middle is up to you.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Opening Licks
« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2007, 03:46:09 pm »

Okay, that's a start

1.  The Hellion - Judas Priest
2.  Electric Eye - Judas Priest
3. 
4. 
5. 
6. 
7. 
8. 
9. 
10. 
11.
12.
13.
14.
15.
16.
17.  Stars - Hum

Anybody want to help fill in the rest of the blanks?

Back in Black - AC/DC
Fast as a Shark - Accept
Pay to Cum - Bad Brains
Nervous Breakdown - Black Flag
Turn up the Night - Black Sabbath
Holiday in Cambodia - Dead Kennedys
Welcome to the Jungle - Guns and Roses
Ain't No Right - Jane's Addiction
Johnny B. Goode (Live) - Jimi Hendrix
Immigrant Song (Live) - Led Zeppelin
Rock and Roll (Live) - Led Zeppelin
Whole Lot of Love - Led Zeppelin
something Against You - Pixies
Geek U.S.A. - Smashing Pumpkins





Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: Opening Licks
« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2007, 03:47:42 pm »

Shit, I didn't know you were THAT serious.  Give me a minute, this wasn't originally a playlist, just a buncha shit I threw into a file and zipped for Cort.

Put the three Zeppelin tunes up front: WLL, R&R, Immigrant.  Then:

Hendrix
ACDC
GnR
Jane's
Pumpkins
Sabbath
Hellion/EE
Accept
Black Flag
Pixies
DKs
Bad Brains
Hum

In that order, the songs sorta morph from classic rock to metal to punk, getting faster the whole time, and then Hum crushes the whole thing out. 

See if this works for you.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 04:01:33 pm by Limmo »
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Opening Licks
« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2007, 03:58:05 pm »

Well you know, with your last mix you were adamant about the track order.  And I think it made a difference.

Since the track list is a collective effort I thought a collective effort on the track order could possibly enhance the listening pleasure.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: Opening Licks
« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2007, 04:03:00 pm »

Adamant?  Little ol' me?   ;)
Logged

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Opening Licks
« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2007, 10:09:07 am »

3 AM and I can't sleep... so let's search through the directory for ass-kickin' songs.  This'll help!

AC/DC - Thunderstruck (with about 1000 honorable mentions)
Beastie Boys - Sabotage
Bif Naked - I Love Myself Today
The Crystal Method - Name of the Game
Gravity Kills - Guilty
Kula Shaker - Govinda (I really hope this isn't a mis-label)
The Mighty Mighty Bosstones - Devil's Night Out
Nirvana - Breed
Powerman 5000 - Super Nova Goes Pop
Prodigy - Firestarter
Rage Against the Machine - Guerilla Radio
Rob Zombie/White Zombie - Just about all of it

Bedtime now.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Opening Licks
« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2007, 01:07:09 pm »

3 AM and I can't sleep... so let's search through the directory for ass-kickin' songs.  This'll help!

AC/DC - Thunderstruck (with about 1000 honorable mentions)
Beastie Boys - Sabotage
Bif Naked - I Love Myself Today
The Crystal Method - Name of the Game
Gravity Kills - Guilty
Kula Shaker - Govinda (I really hope this isn't a mis-label)
The Mighty Mighty Bosstones - Devil's Night Out
Nirvana - Breed
Powerman 5000 - Super Nova Goes Pop
Prodigy - Firestarter
Rage Against the Machine - Guerilla Radio
Rob Zombie/White Zombie - Just about all of it

Bedtime now.

I always thought of I Love Myself Today as kind of a guilty pleasure. Guerilla Radio was almost ruined for me when somebody decided to use it as their campaign song back in 2000. Does anybody else remember the SNL when the Beasties started playing Sabotage only to have Elvis Costello run out and interrupt, so they switched to playing Radio Radio? I need to find that as an mp3.
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Opening Licks
« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2007, 01:21:09 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDNDqYl65sU ?

Unfortunately the original has been taken down by NBC.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Opening Licks
« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2007, 05:22:12 am »

***** Zombie songs are genetically engineered to inspire blood-pumping passion.  It's basically the same thing that AC/DC does, only more scary and less short guy.

I can't take Rage seriously, but Guerilla Radio is one of the few songs I can still rock to.  Most of the rest strike me as "political message, endlessly repeated" + guitar lick + tons and tons of money in their pockets, so eh.

I didn't mention Motorhead, because you don't have to.  They are motherfuck*ng Motorhead.

Forgotten/overlooked songs:
Static X - Push It
The Union Underground - Turn Me On Mr. Deadman

"Long fuse" songs of note:
Lo-Fidelity Allstars - Battle Flag
Monster Magnet - Space Lord

That's the kind of song you listen to if you want to be angry but you need a rolling start.  It's a good way to ease into the angry.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Opening Licks
« Reply #59 on: October 20, 2007, 03:58:52 pm »

I think the blood-pumping effects of * Zombie are we used to use More Human Than Human as our entrance music back when I was on the wrestling team. Before that it was Come Out and Play, which worked but didn't have quite the same impact.

Wait, isn't The Union Underground the band that did Across the Nation? Because I know it makes me a bad person but I like that song.

I like the song Battle Flag, but it's about 2 minutes longer than it needs to be.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up