Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

“Do what you love and the money will follow,” as they say, but I would add, “...but don’t do ONLY what you love until it generates adequate cash flow.” -=RAY=-

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: 12 October 2007 - It's acting mania day!  (Read 5309 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 12 October 2007 - It's acting mania day!
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2007, 10:45:57 pm »

yeah.

damn, SGC (S?) has some cojones. I would totally not feel OK sending a lady whom I had only been dating for like a week a dirty text message.

I guess that's what y'all would expect of me, though. I mean... it is established that I do not really take chances with these things.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: 12 October 2007 - It's acting mania day!
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2007, 12:13:01 am »

Oh... I know a secret about Kevin Spacey. Thanks to one of my actor friends.  Yes I do.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: 12 October 2007 - It's acting mania day!
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2007, 12:41:08 am »

Apparently some people think he's gay. Is that the secret?
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: 12 October 2007 - It's acting mania day!
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2007, 07:43:24 am »

That's... that's no secret.

He's gayer than Vin Diesel mounting John Travolta in a field of wildflowers.

To not immediately see that the dude likes dudes, you basically have to be one of those people who only accepts a dude is gay if he is a total stereotype swish-dude.

Gay dudes can be masculine-ish. Once you accept that, all is clear.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

colmore

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 56
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 379
  • Sorry Mom, Sorry Dad, Sorry College
    • View Profile
Re: 12 October 2007 - It's acting mania day!
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2007, 08:45:18 pm »

Not that I was ever a huge Spacey fan, but it kind of sucks that he's had to slide off the A list as his gayness becomes discovered.

And yeah, I think a number of college-aged extras know "secrets" about Kevin Spacey.  I've been hearing this one for a bit longer than it's been in the press.

But with all the gayness in hollywood, it's really dumb that liking dudes means you can't get your name on top of a movie any more.

Unrelated but similar: if you are a female aged 18-22, you can definitely have a one night stand with a semi-famous indie rock person if Calvin Johnston is on tour.

And thus ends the segment: famous people that people I sort of know have hooked up with.
Logged
In Capitalist America, bank robs you!

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: 12 October 2007 - It's acting mania day!
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2007, 10:36:26 pm »

...Not that I was ever a huge Spacey fan, but it kind of sucks that he's had to slide off the A list as his gayness becomes discovered...

Uh, Lex Luthor, hello? But I thought he was concentrating more on theatre these days.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 12 October 2007 - It's acting mania day!
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2007, 10:51:48 pm »

damn, dude, Calvin Johnston?

His ex girlfriend dated Kurt Cobain. That means he is too old for a lady that age to make out with. Grossss.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: 12 October 2007 - It's acting mania day!
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2007, 01:26:35 am »

Apparently some people think he's gay. Is that the secret?

I really shouldn't have said anything.  Everyone knows he's gay at this point.

Also, yes he is the artistic director of a fairly important theatre, and that is more his focus these days.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: 12 October 2007 - It's acting mania day!
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2007, 03:33:15 pm »

I really shouldn't have said anything.  Everyone knows he's gay at this point.

Also, yes he is the artistic director of a fairly important theatre, and that is more his focus these days.

Kevin Spacey is gay!?!?

Oh man.  I have, like, *no* gaydar.  And not for the reasons LFM said.  Honestly, it's because I just don't make assumptions about anyone, no matter how swishy and flamboyant.  I think I just tend to assume that everyone is like me, and being bisexual means that I don't have a lot of expectations about other people's sexuality. 

I mean, sure, Eleanor Roosevelt wrote love letters to a woman for fifteen years, but does that really make her gay? 

Of course Dan Savage likes to have sex with his boyfriend.  But honestly, who am I to make assumptions about how he defines his own sexuality? 

This is the mentality that makes me a little surprised when I find out that the combat-boot wearing buzzcut ultra-feminist who sits across from me in Women's History is a lesbian.  I am not claiming to be enlightened here.  This is a handicap in social situations. 

Pedro says he can tell that a lady is a lesbian because lesbians talk to guys like guys do.  He says that straight women subconsciously flirt with every boy they encounter but lesbian's don't. 

I think that he is so vain, he probably thinks this post is about him. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: 12 October 2007 - It's acting mania day!
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2007, 04:19:29 pm »

Some people think my roommate is gay just because he sodomizes other dudes. I mean, sure i hear noises, but does that really make him gay?

Well according to I Am America if a guy blowing you isn't necessarily gay unless you are gay. If you're not gay then the blower can go either way depending on other factors (does he have a mustache or enjoy Margaret Cho?)
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: 12 October 2007 - It's acting mania day!
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2007, 04:33:39 pm »

Some people think my roommate is gay just because he sodomizes other dudes. I mean, sure i hear noises, but does that really make him gay?

It depends.  How does he define himself?  Does he mean to willfully sodomize other dudes, or does he just have a wide stance? 

I'm being flip, and I shouldn't be.  People used to think I was a lesbian in college because of the way I dressed, looked, and acted.  Also because I hung out with lesbians.  But although I was sometimes attracted to women, I had a long-term boyfriend and defined myself as straight.  (The bi label came later.)  So I have a personal history that makes me reluctant to label people. 

I have no problem accepting labels that other people apply to themselves, though.  I mean, if Dan Savage says he's gay, he's gay.  If he said he were straight and then went on to say "but I do occasionally have sex with this guy I've been living and raising a child with for twelve years," well -- I might question the strength of his grip on reality, but it's his prerogative to say what he wants about himself.  I don't question Colin Powell's right to call himself a Republican, either. 

That probably makes me really naive.  But I tend to take people at face value.  All of you guys, for instance.  I still believe that linnea is a twentysomething hottie with an equally hot twin who likes the internet and geocaching and recently found a nice guy to be with. 

I mean, this is the internet.  Everybody knows we are all just forty-five year old obese men who live with their mothers and create elaborate backstories for entirely implausible characters that we roleplay in order to escape from our otherwise soul-stifling and mundane existences.   

Everybody knows this. 

Except me. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: 12 October 2007 - It's acting mania day!
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2007, 04:53:21 pm »

I could see where someone very comfortable with their bisexuality wouldn't NEED gaydar... just because, y'know, if you're comfortable with the fact that any willing unrelated adult might be a sexual object to you, why does your mind HAVE to focus on figuring that out about other people?

My girlfriend was very very guilty about and at odds with the fact that she was as attracted to girls as boys her whole life in the stiflingly conformist suburbs of Long Island and so... she has pretty much the most spot-on gaydar I've ever seen in my life.

She says it's so ingrained that it's like subconscious, now, no analysis at all.

Like the Terminator, she looks at somebody and a little window pops up "gay" or "not gay".

And she's never wrong. It's eerie.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: 12 October 2007 - It's acting mania day!
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2007, 05:19:38 pm »

Pedro is like that.  Totally spot-on.  It's a gift and a curse. 

In fact, he can tell a lot of things about people at a glance.  He can also tell at a glance if a little kid has autism.  He can look at a group of kids and tell you which one is the "leader" and why the other kids follow her.  He can tell within five minutes if someone would be a good programmer without asking him a single technical question.  He can look at a couple of college kids in a restaurant and tell if they're friends or lovers.  He can even say with confidence, "she thinks they are just friends but he wants it to be something more."  Of course there's no way to test this kind of thing in a random setting...but he's so reliable with his other observations that I can only assume he's right about these kinds of things.  He give compelling arguments. 

"Look, she's ordered a burger and fries instead of a salad, so she's obviously not  trying to impress him.  She's doing most of the talking but he's acting really interested, which would probably not be the case if they were a couple that had been together for a while.  Also, she's wearing jeans and a nice blouse, but he's got on khaki ##### and a dress shirt, and -- see the crease in his #####? -- he ironed them.  She didn't do it for him, or she would have ironed her own clothes, but as you can see her blouse is wrinkled.  Finally, she's talking to the space to the right of his head, which indicates that she is using her left brain to recount things that have actually happened, while he is looking directly at her face, giving her his full attention.  So my guess is that they're friends, they've known each other a while, but he wants to date her and she has no idea." 

I think it comes from being incredibly observant and also really well-versed in reading and understanding how people think and live. 

He is like Adrian Monk, but with people instead of things.  And without the debilitating OCD. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: 12 October 2007 - It's acting mania day!
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2007, 05:38:39 pm »

He is like Adrian Monk, but with people instead of things.  And without the debilitating OCD. 

Jebus. Did Pedro have prana bindu training as a child as well? Does he have The Voice?
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: 12 October 2007 - It's acting mania day!
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2007, 07:10:54 pm »

Jebus. Did Pedro have prana bindu training as a child as well? Does he have The Voice?
Damn, Cort.  How many times did you re-read Dune?
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up