Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I shouldn't have to tell people not to hit me on the head nearly so often as I do.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Thinking with Portals.  (Read 7587 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking with Portals.
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2008, 04:08:34 am »

I would happily wear an apeture science name badge if such a thing were available. Even just a regular button with the logo on it would be good, I think they have those.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking with Portals.
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2008, 06:06:45 am »

My favorite type of logo-pimping clothing is the type that pimps the logo of fictional companies that exist in a work that I enjoy.

First, it means that someone took the time to flesh out a setting.

Second, it is one step removed from the obvious, which is usually a step towards awesome.


I would kill for a S.T.A.R. Labs janitor jacket.  Or a Yoyodyne mug.

Sorry, geeked out there.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Thinking with Portals.
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2008, 08:00:03 am »

As long as it is not a fake company from "Lost" "Battlestar Galactica" "24" or "Heroes"...

There is nothing weirder than when something actually completely and utterly mainstream, as mainstream as pandering to Republicans through veiled racism against Mexicans or apple pie, and still treating it as though it is a geeky thing...

Just because it is based on something that would be considered geeky thirty years ago.

Obsessing over Lost minutae is about as geeky as obsessing over the unborn children of the Friends characters, for God's friggin.

There are times when I just want to take geekery and nerd-dom back where they belong.

Just hold obsessive-fandom in my arms and rock it to sleep:

"Shush, baby, shush baby, I know they were bad to you. Don't worry, it's all over now."
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking with Portals.
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2008, 03:58:19 pm »

Somewhere I have a Nostromo ballcap.  That gets me grins from all the right people.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking with Portals.
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2008, 04:04:53 pm »

This weekend I saw an old friend that I hadn't hung out with for a year or so. He was wearing a Jessie and the Rippers t-shirt.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking with Portals.
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2008, 05:38:53 pm »

Reckon I'll hide behind Nabu then.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Thinking with Portals.
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2008, 05:40:04 pm »

Quote from: Asherdan
It's going to be a long fuck*ng year around you, ain't it?

Look at it this way... at least you're not me.

It's an even longer year when you gotta be around that guy all the goddamned time.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Thinking with Portals.
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2008, 06:58:27 pm »

wait, Battlestar Galactica is mainstream!? I know one guy who watches that show. And... he is not mainstream.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking with Portals.
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2008, 11:41:51 pm »

I think the existence of the internet has tricked  a lot of people into thinking their interests are mainstream when this is certainly not the case.
See also:
Snakes on a Plane
Serenity
Furries
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Thinking with Portals.
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2008, 11:45:25 pm »

this reminds me of an earlier conversation where Keith said that bands I mentioned were really popular. I later remembered that, hey, I spent several years of my life yearning for the Borders near my house to have their CDs.
Now they do, because apparently they are all re-releasing stuff.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking with Portals.
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2008, 12:19:44 am »

Well I mean, maybe it is just the crowd I hang out with.  I don't know I am a music nerd who may have gotten tricked by the internet into thinking that the music you listed was pretty popular.  I mean, you and I came upon it separately and I know plenty of other who did the same.  At the same time, it ain't the Rolling Stones or something. 

Also, never said it was mainstream, just popular.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking with Portals.
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2008, 01:11:12 am »

Somewhere I have a Nostromo ballcap.  That gets me grins from all the right people.

I just watched Alien for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Good flick.

There is nothing weirder than when something actually completely and utterly mainstream, as mainstream as pandering to Republicans Americans through veiled racism against Mexicans or apple pie, and still treating it as though it is a geeky thing...
Logged

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking with Portals.
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2008, 08:19:10 pm »

Portal is rad.  The song at the end is written by Jonathan Coulton.  He is also rad.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Thinking with Portals.
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2008, 09:56:42 pm »

By the by, welcome back Nice Pedro.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking with Portals.
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2008, 01:27:08 am »

Portal is rad.  The song at the end is written by Jonathan Coulton.  He is also rad.
By the by, welcome back Nice Pedro.

Have you guys met before?  I can't remember if LFM had arrived yet when Pedro dropped off last. 

I'm sure a quick glance at both profiles and post histories would tell me one way or the other, but...um...wow, I'm lazy.  This one doesn't even involve getting off the couch, and I don't have the energy. 

Also, Pedro, I know you missed it, but there was a Jonathan Coulton thread a while back.  Thought you might be interested. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up