Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Fnord.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thinking with Portals.  (Read 7560 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Thinking with Portals.
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2008, 01:52:27 am »

I've seen him post a few times but... moreover... I certainly feel like I "know" him a bit through all of your stories, jayelle. Remember, I lurked for a while before I even started posting here, too.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking with Portals.
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2008, 02:04:16 am »

Also, Pedro, I know you missed it, but there was a Jonathan Coulton thread a while back.  Thought you might be interested. 

They live together but she communicates by this board. God I love our generation.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking with Portals.
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2008, 03:40:06 pm »

They live together but she communicates by this board. God I love our generation.
Yeah, you should see the little game we play where we don't talk about Urban Dead outside of in-game chat. 

Actually, while I was replying to his post, he was picking up our kid's toys in his underwear.  So it wasn't even like I would have had to leave the room or postpone the comment.  But I figured, it's like when I talk to people from the board on AIM -- some conversations just belong here. 

Incidentally, Doc, he's back because I told him you were about to try yerba mate.  He can't resist an opportunity to share his knowledge with the world. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking with Portals.
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2008, 03:59:58 am »

Well and it makes sense too, if you'd told him in person he might have forgotten by the time he got back to the board.

Actually I will probe big P's knowledge on one point (doesn't seem worth creating a thread over but feel free to split this if it goes on too long): I'm not the kind of guy who can sit at my desk and drink it all day (my desk is in a lab so no food or dirnk etc.) so when I do want to drink it mate it will probably be only two or maybe three cups worth, does scaling down the leaves work ok in this situation or would I lose the flavour?
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking with Portals.
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2008, 06:39:10 pm »

I'm not the kind of guy who can sit at my desk and drink it all day (my desk is in a lab so no food or dirnk etc.) so when I do want to drink it mate it will probably be only two or maybe three cups worth, does scaling down the leaves work ok in this situation or would I lose the flavour?

Less yerba will have the same amount of flavor initially, but will 'run out' of flavor faster than more yerba (which sounds like what you're going for).  I'd put in just enough to cover the strainer part of your bombilla.  Just enough leaves to cover the strainer on the straw, and you're good to go.  You can always dump it and start again if it tastes like you're just drinking hot water.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking with Portals.
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2008, 11:07:23 pm »

Good advice, thanks big P.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Thinking with Portals.
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2008, 07:30:20 pm »

Reckon I'll hide behind Nabu then.

How come I have to get stabbed?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Thinking with Portals.
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2008, 03:46:54 am »

You'll get stabbed and like it.

So they're going to make a sequel to Portal, or something.  One of the Valve execs said to expect a lot more Portal content, but not for a while.

Sounds good to me.  Also, you can now buy Aperture Science gear here:

http://store.valvesoftware.com/

I threw a "Afterwards, there will be cake." joke into the agenda for a talk I was giving at a conference and about 80% of the room laughed.  I love geek gatherings.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up