Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That Word Front, the kind host of TOUAMB.com, offers high quality t-shirts for sale?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Blogtober 2007  (Read 7995 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Blogtober 2007
« on: October 22, 2007, 02:06:06 pm »

Unbalanced wedding party.  ohhhhhhh shiiiiiiiit

(here and here)

I know where Beef is coming from, though.  I didn't originally have my brother in my wedding party.  My mom was sort of dismayed by this, and I told her "I don't know where you've been the last thirty years, but he and I aren't exactly close."  I ended up making him an usher, though, distinct from the groomsmen.

Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Blogtober 2007
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 02:20:04 pm »

You can't script... Blogtober!
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Blogtober 2007
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 02:24:01 pm »

Lyle and Todd? The hell? I'm glad we're skipping the wedding parties and only having a best man/maid of honor.

I am surprised that Molly apparently has no friends, though. That really seems more like the situation that somebody with Beef's personality would be in.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Blogtober 2007
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 02:31:03 pm »

well, cort, if you were a succubus sent to earth to suck out one particular man's soul, you wouldn't have many friends either.


...didn't there used to be a thing where we didn't like Molly? What happened to that.

I really want there to be an arc where it seems like achewood is turning into such as A Comic about A Baby or whatever, and then it is revealed that Molly is making Beef turn all... normal... and then Ray saves him in some drastic way.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Blogtober 2007
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 06:22:27 pm »

I am surprised that Molly apparently has no friends, though.

I find that the older you get the harder it is to make new friends. So it must be really hard when you're 337 years old.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Blogtober 2007
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 06:27:45 pm »

I am surprised that Molly apparently has no friends, though.
She kind of did just come back from the dead, dude. cut the lady a break for not jumping into the social scene right out of the grave.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Blogtober 2007
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 06:40:12 pm »

She kind of did just come back from the dead, dude. cut the lady a break for not jumping into the social scene right out of the grave.

Well she's had several jobs in retail where you have actual coworkers, plus she just seems to leave the house more than Beef.
Logged

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: Blogtober 2007
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2007, 07:39:00 pm »

I didn't originally have my brother in my wedding party.

How did this go over?  I recently entered into an agreement to marry (the romantics call it an "engagement") and I'm having hella trouble picking out my groomsmen.  My fiancee has her sister and two obvious friends, for three on her side.  I have a brother, who I'm not close to at all and not planning on including, two very close friends who are definitely in and then a bunch of guys who could be my third.

I could save a ton of consternation and maternal frowning by just picking my brother instead of choosing among the four or five dudes who could be #3, but I don't know if I'm up for that kind of compromise.  I'm sure my brother realizes that we're not best buds but I'm not sure how he'd feel to know his actual standing on the Groomsman Depth Chart.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Blogtober 2007
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2007, 07:48:49 pm »

How did this go over? 

I never actually told him he wasn't in the wedding party; I came up with the usher compromise before I talked to him about the arrangements.  The other ushers were Mrs. del Vaca's brother, and her father and step-father, so that all looked kosher.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Blogtober 2007
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2007, 08:02:34 pm »

If I ever get married, I'm gonna get married on a baseball diamond and so I'll have a husband's wedding party of eight plus me.

You know. To make a full team.

Part of the reason I haven't married my longtime girlfriend is that we couldn't afford to do it right anytime soon. The appeal of a small wedding is understandable? But for my purposes, I think I'd have to go full-bore or nothing at all. Married against the backdrop of a summer sunset, in the baseball park in my hometown.

Peanuts and popcorn getting passed out to the crowd. Here Comes The Bride all on a baseball pipeorgan.

Goddamned fireworks at the end, out over the mountains.

But even with eight groomsmen, man, I'd have some hard choices to make.

My brother and my college roommate, certainly, and my two eldest male cousins Richie and Ryan for sure. My two oldest friends, the Toher Brothers, who were born six days before me and we were even in the goddamn hospital nursery together, for sure. After that, man. Those last two slots would be really difficult to fill, out of my childhood and college friends and stuff. Let alone, should include my girlfriend's brother? Etc.

I wouldn't want to hurt too many feelings.

But... yeah... my girl doesn't have too many close friends so it might be harder to field a team.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Blogtober 2007
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2007, 08:04:39 pm »

If I ever get married, I'm gonna get married on a baseball diamond and so I'll have a husband's wedding party of eight plus me.

You know. To make a full team.

Part of the reason I haven't married my longtime girlfriend is that we couldn't afford to do it right anytime soon. The appeal of a small wedding is understandable? But for my purposes, I think I'd have to go full-bore or nothing at all. Married against the backdrop of a summer sunset, in the baseball park in my hometown.

Peanuts and popcorn getting passed out to the crowd. Here Comes The Bride all on a baseball pipeorgan.

Goddamned fireworks at the end, out over the mountains.

But even with eight groomsmen, man, I'd have some hard choices to make.

My brother and my college roommate, certainly, and my two eldest male cousins Richie and Ryan for sure. My two oldest friends, the Toher Brothers, who were born six days before me and we were even in the goddamn hospital nursery together, for sure. After that, man. Those last two slots would be really difficult to fill, out of my childhood and college friends and stuff. Let alone, should include my girlfriend's brother? Etc.

I wouldn't want to hurt too many feelings.

But... yeah... my girl doesn't have too many close friends so it might be harder to field a team.

This is disturbingly close to Zart's ideal wedding. Except change all the baseball stuff to wrestling. Instead of saying "I do" like a pansy he'd let out a manly "woooo!"
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Blogtober 2007
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2007, 08:08:37 pm »

If I ever get married, I'm gonna get married on a baseball diamond and so I'll have a husband's wedding party of eight plus me.

You know. To make a full team.

But... yeah... my girl doesn't have too many close friends so it might be harder to field a team.
im going to have 14 groomsmen to field a full rugby team (in fact it would work out such that the people involved would actually be able to cover all 15 positions). My gf has already expressed dismay in this as she hates things that arent symmetrical and the pictures would look off balanced. She needs to get over it.
I've already conceded to a catholic church, but thats because they are more lenient about letting me alter small parts of the ceremony, like where everyone responds "in God's name we pray" or something like that, i want the priest to say "And most importantly, we pray today that people all over the world will understand the librety and prosperity found in free market economics and embrace the wealth creation mechanism"
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Blogtober 2007
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2007, 08:37:00 pm »

I had to scrounge bridesmaids because Pedro has three brothers and a best friend.  He also felt strongly about including my brother on his side, as well -- so he had five guys total.  He avoided the best-man conflict by asking his youngest brother -- who was then sixteen -- to be the best man.  None of his older brothers were going to question that. 

I asked his sister, my brother's wife, my cousin, my best friend (who I've known since I was seven), and my college roommate.  I would have asked my high-school best friend instead of my cousin, but she was living in Europe at the time and had a ten month old baby.  I didn't know if she'd be able to come to the wedding at all (she did), so I felt asking her to be a bridesmaid would have been an undue burden.  Honestly, though, as long as his sister, my sister-in-law, and my best friend were included, I couldn't have cared less about anyone else.  I actually felt kind of bad asking College Roommate and Younger Cousin to act as "filler."  They seemed cool with it, though. 

The rest of the guys -- assorted cousins, et cetera -- were ushers.  I asked several of my female cousins to sing -- they have lovely voices and one of them actually sang professionally for weddings and such when she was in college, so it was perfectly appropriate.  We asked our Dads to do scripture readings.  My mom's oldest sister played piano and a close grade-school friend of mine played harp.  My nephew was ring bearer, my niece was flower girl, and my cousin's son was the flower girl's escort.  So there were a lot of people included that weren't part of the official wedding party.  They all came to the rehearsal dinner and we had a nice time. 

My sister-in-law, who just got married this past July, flouted tradition by asking her four brothers and the unnoffficial "sixth Dunston" (Pedro's best friend, who lived with their family for a while after high school) to stand up with her.  She also had her husband's sister as maid of honor.  So all told, they had six groomsmen, a maid of honor, and five "bridesmen."  It was pretty cool. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Blogtober 2007
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2007, 10:23:03 pm »

If I ever get married, I'm gonna get married on a baseball diamond and so I'll have a husband's wedding party of eight plus me.

You know. To make a full team.

Part of the reason I haven't married my longtime girlfriend is that we couldn't afford to do it right anytime soon. The appeal of a small wedding is understandable? But for my purposes, I think I'd have to go full-bore or nothing at all. Married against the backdrop of a summer sunset, in the baseball park in my hometown.

This place?



Beautiful scenery there.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 10:35:31 pm by jaydub »
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Blogtober 2007
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2007, 10:32:55 pm »

We just did one-and-one. My best friend and her best friend. My best friend's wife (also a grand friend) and her #2 friend did readings. We had a small wedding on the second floor of a clubhouse. She came up the stairs, I made my entrance through the elevator. I was vetoed when I wanted a smoke machine to billow fog out as the door opened. I may have been able to pull it off if I didn't want Europe's "The Final Countdown" playing as we entered too.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up