Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "Supporting" bacon is easy. Who's going to get on the mayonnaise bandwagon with me?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Blogtober 2007  (Read 8013 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Blogtober 2007
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2007, 10:15:00 pm »

The myth is that you're supposed to clean the mushrooms with a damp cloth because rinsing them under water will make them soggy.
Oh.  Biologically speaking, that is very silly.  I'm pretty sure the packers use high-pressure water sprays to knock the worst of the goo off them.  Then they sit around until you buy them.  Whatever bacteria you have heebie-jeebies about will spend that time booming up their population.  Wiping with a damp cloth won't do much to them.  And it won't do a damn thing to any chemical residues.

running them under tap water won't do much either, best not to fret too much - but buy organic if you care
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 10:26:23 pm by jaydub »
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Blogtober 2007
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2007, 01:01:44 pm »

Yeah, I heard the mushroom thing on the Iron Chef mushroom battle, but it was the first I'd heard of it.  We have a huge mushroom farm locally, and the smell coming off of it... let's just say they need to be washed.  I tried the damp cloth method, but it just doesn't work as well, and honestly - most times I'm tossing mushrooms into a fairly moist situation, so I don't see why postponing their exposure to moisture by a few minutes makes any difference.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Blogtober 2007
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2007, 03:39:21 pm »

Glad I wasn't the only one.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Blogtober 2007
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2007, 01:24:13 pm »

Jesus.  If mushrooms are growing down there, I'm failing at personal hygiene on a fairly basic level.  Mushrooms are the least sexy of vegetables.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Blogtober 2007
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2007, 04:33:52 pm »

I misread this and thought that this response was somehow involved in the thread about the costume of an ancient hooker.

Ain't nothing sexy about mushrooms, ain't nothin' edible about mushrooms.

Boo to mushrooms.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Blogtober 2007
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2007, 04:41:23 pm »

I can't eat any foods that would grow on a poorly-cleaned air conditioner.

Just can't. I'll admit to the fact that it's a Totally Irrational Thing, though.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Blogtober 2007
« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2007, 08:29:38 pm »

Sauteed mushrooms are proof of the existence of god.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Blogtober 2007
« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2007, 10:03:14 pm »

What has two thumbs and loves mushrooms?

This guy.

There is a place in Virginia with wine-sauteed mushrooms that if they sold them by the pound, I'd buy them. Mmmmmmmm
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Blogtober 2007
« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2007, 10:10:06 pm »

Really the only time I ate those mushrooms was sauteed with steak.  I don't eat meat anymore so...
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Blogtober 2007
« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2007, 11:38:07 pm »

Really the only time I ate those mushrooms was sauteed with steak.  I don't eat meat anymore so...
Did they still make you throw up?  I could never get my head around that part of the experience.  Throwing up a steak would just compound the injustice.
Note:  never did 'shrooms - I'm speaking from observational experience.  Those who did, seemed always to throw up = not a good time in my book.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Blogtober 2007
« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2007, 11:57:00 pm »

Uh, those mushrooms are the straight kind.  I only really like them on steak, but the vegetarian thing.  It is weird that I love sauteed mushrooms on a good steak but they make me gag in nearly every way that does not include a steak.

Also, no, worthwhile mushrooms have never made me throw up, but they do make me quesy (sp?) and feel bad until they work.  It is best to not mix them with other stuff in my opinion.  Eat them quick then eat a fun size of your favorite candy bar followed by chugging a bit of water. Apparently if you throw up you will trip harder, but I think that is bullshit.  The sky literally opened up for me last time I did them, and I didn't throw up.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 12:02:30 am by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Blogtober 2007
« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2007, 01:43:08 am »

Mushrooms, making dirty air conditioners delicious.

With regards to those mushrooms.  They are delicious.  Grill you up a nice steak with some mushrooms and onion.  But be careful, don't go back for seconds.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Blogtober 2007
« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2007, 09:13:23 pm »

I was just trying to tell jaydub that the straight kind was what I like on steak.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Blogtober 2007
« Reply #58 on: October 30, 2007, 09:39:31 pm »

Right on.  Hopefully he moved to San Francisco.  Actually though, in my short time there I was offered all of the common drugs except heroin.  In my afternoon in Vegas (city of sin) I was only offered sex.  So see, drugs aren't a sin, but sex for cash is.  That is how I always felt, but now I know it is true.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Blogtober 2007
« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2007, 01:50:42 pm »

Tomorrow: Beef is rushed to the hospital with a ruptured bladder. Also, chicken.

http://raysmuckles.blogspot.com/2007/10/beefs-bachelor-party-hard-plans.html
Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up