Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood If Twain were alive today, he would guffaw despite his benevolent befuddlement.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: October 24, 2007: Best of... Hot Tub Brawls  (Read 6128 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

iron_felix

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 373
    • View Profile
October 24, 2007: Best of... Hot Tub Brawls
« on: October 24, 2007, 04:31:40 am »

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10242007

Hmmm.  Shades of the GOF, only in hot tub form.  Not much in the way of humor, but this has the feeling of a strip that isn't meant to be overtly funny.  I actually kind of liked it.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: October 24, 2007: Best of... Hot Tub Brawls
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 04:40:24 am »

It's like Greco-Roman wrestling!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: October 24, 2007: Best of... Hot Tub Brawls
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 04:43:26 am »

I'm with you, metalcat.

Not funny but interesting. They ain't all gotta be funny as long as they're all interesting.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: October 24, 2007: Best of... Hot Tub Brawls
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 05:07:26 am »

This one actually made me chuckle, unlike recent strips. Just the idea of naked hot tub fighting, and then that there could be a a "best of"... I'm not entirely sure why, but I felt this one brought some funny.

Takes a lot of balls to fight naked.
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: October 24, 2007: Best of... Hot Tub Brawls
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 05:11:19 am »

I thought this was hilarious.  The look of the dude in panel 4, the cat cock and, what really made me laugh, the alt text.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: October 24, 2007: Best of... Hot Tub Brawls
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 06:04:38 am »

This really brightened my day. The alt-text pretty much summarizes Ray's enbtire view of life, a view which too few people share. I thought the hot tub fight was happening in Ray's living room, and it goes to show how long I've been reading Ray's adventures in Achewood, that I really wasn't fazed by the prospect of him getting large naked cat-men to fight naked in a hot tub in his living room. Then I saw the DVD logo in the first panel, and realized that Ray is just watching this on TV. In my head, I prefer the original version that my mind concocted. It goes along with the alt-text.
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: October 24, 2007: Best of... Hot Tub Brawls
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 07:53:57 am »

Don't be silly Toaster, Ray doesn't have a hot tub in his living room.
This was obviously filmed in his bathroom and he's finally got around to paying Teodore to put them all on DVD.

The alt-text also made me feel a bit more positive about life.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: October 24, 2007: Best of... Hot Tub Brawls
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 12:44:34 pm »

The alt-text was definitely the funniest part of this strip. I thought it was ok at first, just another strip showing Ray doing something crazy, but then seeing Ray's character distilled into that sentence got a laugh out of me.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: October 24, 2007: Best of... Hot Tub Brawls
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 12:58:17 pm »

What is with the homoerotic tension in Achewood?  I mean, seriously.  It's a reoccurring theme of many a strip.  I mean, ongoing melancholy and non-participatory situations of a queer nature seem to run through out Achewood.  I could... I could write a thesis on what it means.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: October 24, 2007: Best of... Hot Tub Brawls
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 01:08:56 pm »

What is with the homoerotic tension in Achewood?  I mean, seriously.  It's a reoccurring theme of many a strip.  I mean, ongoing melancholy and non-participatory situations of a queer nature seem to run through out Achewood.  I could... I could write a thesis on what it means.

I think it's just because the strip is written by a dude, and dudes love them some homoeroticism. Look at football, wrestling, hunting, and Gilligan's Island.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: October 24, 2007: Best of... Hot Tub Brawls
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2007, 01:14:12 pm »

Achewood:  the "team mate pats you on the butt" of internet comics.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: October 24, 2007: Best of... Hot Tub Brawls
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2007, 01:25:09 pm »

Dammit chris with the c*ck. get over, chris, get over it with the c*ck already.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Popegeorgeringo

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 21
    • View Profile
Re: October 24, 2007: Best of... Hot Tub Brawls
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2007, 01:40:37 pm »

I'm hopin' that tomorrow some demi-celeb breaks through the wall....

Speaking of demi-celebs:  I ran into Monte Markham last week.  Er, let me rephrase that, Speaking of has-been demi-celebs.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: October 24, 2007: Best of... Hot Tub Brawls
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2007, 07:10:19 pm »

Mark McKinney was on my flight home a few weeks ago.  He was two rows ahead of me.  That is a big deal for me.  He... his work means a lot to me.  In bagage claim he was just standing there across from me.  I tried not to stare, but I was pretty excited about it.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: October 24, 2007: Best of... Hot Tub Brawls
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2007, 07:14:09 pm »

Smells, why do you mention this? Are you implying that Mark McKinney is a has-been demi-celeb? Put that together with today's disturbing comic and I think I am going to cry.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up