Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Surprising fact: toothpaste is a complete protein.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Need some feedback.  (Read 13875 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Need some feedback.
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2007, 07:20:56 pm »

No no no, that's not how I meant it.

What I meant is that she has basically never even tried yet.

She's the most naturally gifted writer, of any kind, I've ever met in my life... she can do what so many have to take ten drafts to do, just automatically typing, and she basically hasn't even tried anything full-effort.

There is a difference between "still fighting the fight" at twenty-nine and "ah, still haven't even fully tried yet" at twenty-nine.

Y'know? Does that make more sense?


Still, she's twenty-nine.

Writing is not Olympic figure skating - you don't have to do it young or else never get a chance. And maybe there's something to be said for life experience.

I am sure that someone out there has a website that lists all the writers that didn't even start till they were way old, like forty or whatever.  I will look this up later when I am trying to avoid work.


Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Need some feedback.
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2007, 07:26:29 pm »

Well, just so you know, I don't apply this standard selgiraffely. I basically considered myself a failure for not being a professional fiction writer at the age of twenty-three.

If I have high expectations of others, I have impossible expectations of myself.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Need some feedback.
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2007, 07:33:15 pm »

But LFM, those aren't even good expectations. There's nothing that annoys me more than a 20 year old novelist. Go out and learn something about life before presuming you know enough to make something up about it, you know?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Need some feedback.
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2007, 07:33:53 pm »

I once got in an argument with a guy saying the Tuesdays With Morrie guy is good.  He is not.  It is just sympathetic bullshit. 

Sorry, just had to get that out. 
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Need some feedback.
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2007, 07:57:52 pm »

Even though Tuesdays with Morrie could have been written by a chimpanzee, doesn't mean it can't touch people. Just because something is tripe doesn't mean it can't have an effect.
Logged

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Need some feedback.
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2007, 08:13:05 pm »

A chimpanzee can touch people. Figuratively and literally. Especially literally. When they are killing you.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Need some feedback.
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2007, 08:19:50 pm »

I think that they usually just throw shit instead.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Need some feedback.
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2007, 08:34:09 pm »

Oh, my standards are slowly normalizing, womb@.

The most important thing in my life in Los Angeles, the piece of information that has made my time in Hollywood vitally useful to me, no matter what else I do in this life, no matter where else I go is that...

If you're rich and/or famous too young, no matter how good the one or two creative endeavours you had in you to get you there... that's where you'll peak. That's where you'll stop. That's where you'll start either doing the same thing over and over and over again or else burn out completely.

The moment you become rich and/or famous is the moment where you stop creatively growing in all the ways that matter, okay?

Because suddenly you're not a normal person anymore, you're not a real person anymore, you live outside of all the things that make the other 5,999,000 of us tick and function and laugh and cry and dream.

You're cut off from all those things. All you've got to say about the Real Human Experience is whatever you built up in your system before you graduated into godhood. Even if you're still a good person, even if you try hard not to be, you're suddenly isolated from the really real world and you have to be... or else you'd be beset upon by beggars until your death.

So if you're 23 and you're suddenly a Star... you won't have lived much real life and you'll probably only have one or two fresh ideas about the real world of living.

After that, you'll either have to write variations on those stories over and over again or... write about being rich and famous and really only have useful things to say to the million or less gods and monsters that walk the Earth amoungst us.

And you know what?

Most of those people aren't looking for outside advice anymore.

So you probably won't sell anymore tickets or books or CDs or whatever creating for those people.

This is what Hollywood'll teach you pretty quickly. And I am thankful for that.

The longer that I thrash and struggle and languish and go mad, the more I'll be building up actual things to say and write about, in case I ever win that fuckin' lottery, literally or figuratively.

But with my friend, all that I'm saying is...

She's such a good writer and she hasn't even TRIED to like... send some poems to a journal or even anything like that. She won't even play her music out in public, despite being a brilliant lyric writer, a beautiful singer, a decent tunewriter and a decent guitarist.

I'm not saying you have to be a success by that point but...

There's something unnerving about not even trying, especially when it's not like... oh, y'know... she's also great at something else that she loves and that's been her vocation for thus far for whatever. She's an amazing writer and a really good singer and those are the only things she's good at that she also enjoys.

I dunno.

It's one thing where, like, my girlfriend for example. She's a brilliant costumer but she hates the business that comes along with costuming, the industry and the backstabbing and all that... so she's a teacher, which she's also very good at and enjoys doing more.

Or my brother who's a brilliant guitarist but he's also a brilliant laboratory scientist and... being a laboratory scientist doesn't involve the kind of travel that he hates so... that's what he does.

These are fine things. These are reasonable choices.

But I, for one, know that the only thing I've ever been good at is making up crazy shit and putting it into words. This is pretty much all I know how to do.

And I've been trying to figure out how to make my living doing it for a good five years now.

I dunno.

I'm rambling now.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Need some feedback.
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2007, 08:44:04 pm »

"FREE LESBIAN BUKAKKEE CELEBRITY SEX 9/11 INSIDE JOB PRINCESS DIANA"


All leading the reader into a story about princess diana in a lesbian love affair with Barbara Bush while they plan 9/11... for free.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Need some feedback.
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2007, 08:51:06 pm »

"Normal Men and Magic Bullets"?

"What Happens While You're Making Other Plans"?
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Need some feedback.
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2007, 09:22:23 pm »

If it's a sci-fi book, I recommend the title "Tron Javolta"

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Need some feedback.
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2007, 10:37:01 pm »

"Normal Men and Magic Bullets"?

"What Happens While You're Making Other Plans"?


Um, I think these are getting worse.

"After the Gold Rush" is a good title. The only thing is that I was sure it must have been used too many times before, but there's only one fiction book on Amazon by that title right now, and it's a mystery and doesn't look like a serious publisher, so I don't think that guy gets dibs on it.

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Need some feedback.
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2007, 10:51:28 pm »

Here's the thing:

I really like "The Things We Tell Ourselves At Night" actually.

It really sorta encapsulates the idea. It's just... again... my major training as a writer is as a screenwriter and, secondarily, as a journalist. It goes against everything you learn in those writing disciplines, they're both all about the brevity thing.

Two word titles, at the most. Gotta fit on the marquee, all that.

What it all comes down to is that...

The perfect title for this story is already taken by something far too famous than to duplicate.

"The Once-and-Future King".

So I think part of it is just... writing enough where I can get past the idea that some other asshole took my title a long long time ago. That and the whole brevity thing.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Need some feedback.
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2007, 11:20:34 pm »


I really like "The Things We Tell Ourselves At Night" actually.


Ooo, the Lulu titlescorer really hates that one. More than anything else I've ever tried. I don't know why, but maybe it is the length.

Could you use The Once And Future (Someothernoun)?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Need some feedback.
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2007, 11:30:32 pm »

Maybe I oughta parse through the lyrics to Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here"...

There's a lot of that idea to this story.

did they get you to trade
your heroes for ghosts
hot ashes for trees
hot earth for the cool breeze
would you exchange
a walk-on part in the war
for a lead role in the cage?

That sorta thing. Hm.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up